Write the equations of a mass and spring in different accelerated systems

In summary: Ok, so maybe I made a mess of the variables. The thing is that I got to the equation ##0=\ddot r +k/m r##, but it's the same equation that I would get if the platform was stationary. Is this...The equation is the same, but you are ignoring the fact that the platform is moving. The equation is the same, but you are ignoring the fact that the platform is moving.
Like Tony Stark
Homework Statement
Consider 1) a platform with a mass and spring rotating with constant angular velocity; 2) a room being accelerated with constant acceleration ##a_o##
Relevant Equations
##\Sigma \vec{F}=m\vec{a}##
Hi
I know that the equation of a simple harmonic oscillator is ##\ddot x + \omega^2 x=0##. The thing is that I don't know how to get to that equation in the situations given.

In the first situation, I know that
##x) k(x-x_0)=m(\ddot x -x \dot \theta ^2)##
##y) N=m(2 \dot x \dot \theta)##

So ##\ddot x -x (\dot \theta ^2 +\frac{k}{m}) +\frac{k}{m} x_0=0##
But how can I eliminate the last term? And what about the ##y)## part?

For the second situation, we have
##x) k(x-x_0)=m(a_o +a_{rel})##
Where ##a_o## is the acceleration of the room and ##a_{rel}## the acceleration of the block relative to the room. So
##\ddot x -\frac{k}{m} x +\frac{k}{m} x_0 +a_o=0##
How should I eliminate the last two terms?

Attachments

• 20200830_122157.jpg
    20200830_122157.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200830_123059.jpg
    20200830_123059.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 80
Physics news on Phys.org
For the rotating frame read this link to see how to do it.
For the frame accelerating linearly, consider the acceleration as fictitious acceleration of gravity.

Ok, so, for the second situation I thought that the equilibrium position was ##d##, so ##-kd=ma_o##. Then
##-k(d+x)=m\ddot x + ma_o##
##0=\ddot x +\frac{k}{m} x##
I've got two questions here: 1) is there any difference with the case of ##a_o=0## (a room that's not accelerated)?
2) if there was friction, the equation would be ##-g\mu=\ddot x +\frac{k}{m} x##, right? Then, for the first situation, the equilibrium position is ##kd=mr\dot \theta^2##, so
##-k(d+x)=m(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)##
##0=\ddot r+\frac{k}{m} r##
My question is the same... how would this equation change if the disk wasn't rotating?

Like Tony Stark said:
Then, for the first situation, the equilibrium position is ##kd=mr\dot \theta^2##, so
##-k(d+x)=m(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)##
Define d and x. How do they relate kinematically to r?
How do you get the last equation above?

haruspex said:
Define d and x.
Sorry, it was ##r##, not ##x##. ##d=r_{eq}-r_0## where ##r_{eq}## is the position of equilibrium and ##r_0## the original length

Like Tony Stark said:
Sorry, it was ##r##, not ##x##. ##d=r_{eq}-r_0## where ##r_{eq}## is the position of equilibrium and ##r_0## the original length
On the RHS of your equations in post #3 you are taking r as the distance from the centre of the disk, but x seems to be the displacement from the equilibrium position.

haruspex said:
On the RHS of your equations in post #3 you are taking r as the distance from the centre of the disk, but x seems to be the displacement from the equilibrium position.
Yes, but I made a mistake. I've attached an image showing my idea
Consider ##d## as ##r## of equilibrium.

Attachments

• 20200901_030447.jpg
    20200901_030447.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 95
Like Tony Stark said:
Consider d as r of equilibrium.
THat does not seem to match your diagram.
Tell you what, I'll define the variables and you write the equations:
r is the radius
The below all measured from the base of the spring:
x0 is relaxed length
x is an arbitrary position of the mass
d is the equilibrium position of the mass

haruspex said:
x0 is relaxed length
x is an arbitrary position of the mass
d is the equilibrium position of the mass

Thank you
So... ##\Delta x_{eq}=d-x_0##. Then ##F=-k(\Delta x_{eq} +x)##
Where ##\Delta x_{eq}## is the length of equilibrium

Like Tony Stark said:
Thank you
So... ##\Delta x_{eq}=d-x_0##. Then ##F=-k(\Delta x_{eq} +x)##
Where ##\Delta x_{eq}## is the length of equilibrium
I think you mean, where ##\Delta x_{eq}## is the spring extension at equilibrium.
But I don’t understand ##F=-k(\Delta x_{eq} +x)##.
Anything you multiply by k should be a spring extension, but x includes x0, so ##\Delta x_{eq} +x## is not a spring extension.

haruspex said:
but x includes x0, so ##\Delta x_{eq} +x## is not a spring extension.

Why not? We are adding the deformation that the spring has when the mass is in equilibrium with respect to the platform to a different length measured from that equilibrium position.

Like Tony Stark said:
Why not? We are adding the deformation that the spring has when the mass is in equilibrium with respect to the platform to a different length measured from that equilibrium position.
In post #8 I defined x as the position of the mass as measured from the base of the spring. If you prefer a different definition, fine, but you need to specify it.

haruspex said:
In post #8 I defined x as the position of the mass as measured from the base of the spring. If you prefer a different definition, fine, but you need to specify it.
Ok, so maybe I made a mess of the variables. The thing is that I got to the equation ##0=\ddot r +k/m r##, but it's the same equation that I would get if the platform was stationary. Is this right?

Like Tony Stark said:
Ok, so maybe I made a mess of the variables. The thing is that I got to the equation ##0=\ddot r +k/m r##, but it's the same equation that I would get if the platform was stationary. Is this right?
No.
Please post your working.

haruspex said:
Please post your working.
##-k(d+r)=m(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)##
Then, ##kd=mr\dot \theta^2##, so

I was following this fine until post #13 where you introduced ##r##. What is this variable in terms of the variables that @haruspex defined for you in post #8? It's OK to change symbols but only if you define them using the English language as in "Let ##r## be the ##\dots##"

Look at your equation ##-k(d+r)=m(\ddot r-r\dot \theta^2)##. On the LHS ##d## is the equilibrium position of the spring, so one would assume that ##r## stands for distance the spring is extended beyond equilibrium. On the RHS you have the term ##mr\dot \theta^2## which a centripetal term. In this term ##r## stands for the additional distance from the center to the mass. You have two different meanings for ##r## in the same equation. That is utterly confusing to me.

I suggest that you do follow one of two courses of action:
1. Path of least resistance: Adopt the definitions in post #8.
2. Do it yourself: Choose your own symbols for the three variables listed in post #8 but make sure they are clearly defined.

Likes haruspex
Ok, so using the definitions in post #8, we have
##-k[x-(d-x_0)]=m[\ddot x-(x-r)\theta^2]##
Is that right?

Like Tony Stark said:
Ok, so using the definitions in post #8, we have
##-k[x-(d-x_0)]=m[\ddot x-(x-r)\theta^2]##
Is that right?
RHS looks ok, except for a missing dot (might as well use ##\omega## instead of ##\dot\theta##).
At position x, what is the spring extension?

haruspex said:
RHS looks ok, except for a missing dot (might as well use ##\omega## instead of ##\dot\theta##).
At position x, what is the spring extension?
If the RHS is correct, I must have misunderstood the meaning of the variables in post #8.
Variable ##r## is defined as "the radius". I would assume that it is the distance from the axis of rotation to the mass. How does that differ from ##x##, the "arbitrary position of the mass"? Isn't the base of the spring anchored at the axis of rotation? If so, then,
  • when the platform is not rotating and the mass not oscillating, ##r=x=x_0##
  • when the platform is rotating but the mass is at rest relative to it, ##r=x=x_0+\Delta x_{eq}=d##
I do not understand why the (theta dot corrected) centripetal term on the RHS in post #17 is not ##-mx\dot \theta^2##.

kuruman said:
Isn't the base of the spring anchored at the axis of rotation?
According to the image in post #1, the base of the spring is at the circumference of the disc. The spring extends through the axis of rotation to reach the mass.

Likes kuruman
haruspex said:
According to the image in post #1, the base of the spring is at the circumference of the disc. The spring extends through the axis of rotation to reach the mass.
Ah, yes. Everything has fallen into place now. Thanks.

1. What is a mass and spring system?

A mass and spring system is a physical system composed of a mass attached to a spring, which is anchored to a fixed point. The spring provides a restoring force that causes the mass to oscillate back and forth.

2. How do you write the equations of motion for a mass and spring system?

The equations of motion for a mass and spring system can be derived using Newton's second law of motion. The equation for the displacement of the mass, x, can be written as x = A sin(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase angle.

3. How do you account for acceleration in a mass and spring system?

To account for acceleration in a mass and spring system, we can use the equation F = ma, where F is the net force acting on the mass and a is the acceleration. The net force is equal to the sum of the spring force (kx) and any external forces acting on the mass.

4. How does the equation of motion change in different accelerated systems?

The equation of motion for a mass and spring system will change depending on the type of acceleration present. For example, in a system with constant acceleration, the equation of motion will include an additional term for the acceleration (x = A sin(ωt + φ) + 1/2at^2). In a system with simple harmonic motion, the acceleration term will be equal to -ω^2x.

5. Can the equations of motion for a mass and spring system be used for any type of motion?

No, the equations of motion for a mass and spring system are specifically for systems that exhibit simple harmonic motion, where the restoring force is proportional to the displacement. They cannot be used for other types of motion, such as linear or rotational motion.