Write the Power Series expression for a given sequence

In summary, the first problem asks for a power series, and the second problem asks for a concise expression for a function.
Altagyam

Homework Statement

temp.pdf
http://sites.math.rutgers.edu/~ds965/temp.pdf (NUMBER 2)[/B]

Homework Equations

I do not understand the alternating part for the second problem and the recursive part for the first problem.

The Attempt at a Solution

The first answer I got was first by writing out the general expression for a power series and realizing that the center must be zero. Thus I wrote:
Σ w/ n=0 to n=100 (an)xn

However for the second part I don't really understand how to do the problem. The sequence portion only reaches n=50 while x=100. I thought to myself that "Okay, then n for x must increase by a factor of 2n and there is something going on with the sequence that only let's it reach 50. Now my issue is, I don't understand how or where to apply this hint given.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi.
The 2nd problem doesn't actually ask for a series expression.

The key point here is to understand how the term ## f^{(n)}(0)## will look like. Think what the derivation of order n will do to every term of the function.

If you have understood that, then you'll see how to write the "concise expression" required.

Same thing for the g function, it's only a bit trickier.

bolometer said:
Hi.

The key point here is to understand how the term ## f^{(n)}(0)## will look like. Think what the derivation of order n will do to every term of the function.

If you have understood that, then you'll see how to write the "concise expression" required.

Same thing for the g function, it's only a bit trickier.
Am I right for the first question though? We literally just covered this and I am still scratchy on this.

## \Sigma _ {n=1}^{100} a_n x^n ##
Is not the right answer.
As I sad
bolometer said:

Ditch that line of action, take a breath and think it out, step by step.Hint:Please try to use/learn latex imput, it really makes math better. Chances are you'll need it anyway. ;)

Last edited:

1. What is a power series?

A power series is an infinite series in the form of ∑n=0 an(x-c)n, where an are coefficients, x is the variable, and c is the center of the series. It is a way to represent a function as an infinite polynomial.

2. How do you write the power series expression for a given sequence?

To write the power series expression for a given sequence, you first need to identify the pattern or rule in the sequence. Then, you can use this pattern to find the coefficients an and the center c. Finally, you can plug in these values into the power series formula to get the desired expression.

3. What is the significance of the center in a power series?

The center of a power series is a point on the x-axis where the series is most accurate. This means that the series will converge to the original function at this point. The distance between the center and any other point on the x-axis determines the radius of convergence of the series.

4. Can a power series be used to represent any function?

No, not all functions can be represented by a power series. The function must have a continuous and differentiable pattern in order for it to be represented by a power series. Additionally, the series may only converge within a certain range of values for the variable x, as determined by the radius of convergence.

5. How can power series be used in real-life applications?

Power series can be used in various real-life applications, such as in physics, engineering, and economics. They can be used to approximate solutions to differential equations, calculate complex mathematical functions, and model and predict behaviors in natural and man-made systems. They are also used in computer algorithms and simulations.