Writing an expression for work done by frictional force

In summary: The total energy of a harmonic oscillator is ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2##. If you set x=A then you have to set v=0, because if x=A then v=0. Likewise, if you set v=vmax then you have to set x=0, because if v=vmax then x=0.
imbadatphysics212
Homework Statement
Suppose that the cart (mass m) oscillates so that the maximum speed attained is v. The amplitude of the cart’s motion is A and the force constant of the spring is k. Suddenly, an axle supporting the wheels breaks so that one of the wheels can no longer rotate and is locked in its position. This would cause the cart to begin to experience friction. In terms of m, v, A and k, write an expression for the maximum amount of work that the force of friction can perform on the cart after the axle breaks.
Relevant Equations
work, kinetic energy, potential energy
I took a stab at the question, but I don't think I did it right.

I know that Work = Change in Energy
thus, Work = final energy - initial energy

Because there is no energy at the final position, then final energy = 0 (I'm not sure if this is correct).
So I got the equation W = 0 - (1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2)

Is this correct at all?

Physics news on Phys.org
imbadatphysics212 said:
(1/2kA^2 + 1/2mv^2)
You are adding two terms together here to get the total initial energy. When the system has this much energy, what is the cart doing? Is it moving with its maximum or minimum speed? What about its position? Is it in the central (equilibrium) position or is one of the furthest positions (±A)?

Mister T said:
You are adding two terms together here to get the total initial energy. When the system has this much energy, what is the cart doing? Is it moving with its maximum or minimum speed? What about its position? Is it in the central (equilibrium) position or is one of the furthest positions (±A)?
It would be moving at maximum speed, and the position should be the farthest away...?

imbadatphysics212 said:
It would be moving at maximum speed, and the position should be the farthest away...?
But at no point in the oscillation is that the case. When speed is maximum displacement is zero, and when displacement is maximum magnitude speed is zero.

When you have understood that error in your work, the next thing to consider is whether it might or must stop in such a way that some elastic potential energy persists.

I hope this is not a trick question. Since the work done by friction is negative, the maximum would be the value of least magnitude. So do they want the maximum magnitude or the least magnitude?

imbadatphysics212 said:
Have you watched an oscillator in motion? When it's furthest from the equilibrium position the velocity is zero. And when it passes through the equilibrium position it has its maximum speed.

haruspex said:
But at no point in the oscillation is that the case. When speed is maximum displacement is zero, and when displacement is maximum magnitude speed is zero.

When you have understood that error in your work, the next thing to consider is whether it might or must stop in such a way that some elastic potential energy persists.

I hope this is not a trick question. Since the work done by friction is negative, the maximum would be the value of least magnitude. So do they want the maximum magnitude or the least magnitude?
They want the maximum magnitude.

imbadatphysics212 said:
They want the maximum magnitude.
Ok.
Have you understood the main thing that was wrong with your attempt, or do we need to explain more?

haruspex said:
Ok.
Have you understood the main thing that was wrong with your attempt, or do we need to explain more?
Can you please explain it more?

Thank you for being patient with me..

imbadatphysics212 said:
Can you please explain it more?

The total energy of a harmonic oscillator is ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2 + \frac{1}{2}mv^2##. If you set x=A then you have to set v=0, because if x=A then v=0. Likewise, if you set v=vmax then you have to set x=0, because if v=vmax then x=0.

I suggest you review the section in your textbook (or any college-level introductory algebra or calculus-based physics textbook) on the energy of a simple harmonic oscillator.

1. What is the formula for calculating work done by frictional force?

The formula for calculating work done by frictional force is W = Ff * d, where W is the work done, Ff is the frictional force, and d is the distance over which the force is applied.

2. How do you determine the direction of the work done by frictional force?

The direction of the work done by frictional force is always opposite to the direction of motion. This means that if an object is moving to the right, the frictional force will be in the opposite direction, to the left.

3. Can the work done by frictional force be positive?

No, the work done by frictional force is always negative. This is because frictional force always acts in the opposite direction of motion, and work done is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force.

4. What are some real-life examples of work done by frictional force?

Some real-life examples of work done by frictional force include rubbing your hands together to generate heat, using sandpaper to smooth a surface, and braking a car to slow down or stop its motion.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the work done by frictional force?

The coefficient of friction, which is a measure of the amount of friction between two surfaces, affects the work done by frictional force by determining the magnitude of the force. A higher coefficient of friction means a greater force is needed to overcome the friction, resulting in more work done.