Writing expressions, Markov Models

In summary, the Food Bank tries to feed as many people as possible, but because of limited storage space and the amount of food donated, it may not be able to satisfy all demand.
USN2ENG

Homework Statement

Through donations the food bank tries to feed as many people as possible. Assume there are no backorders - any unsatisfied demand is lost. The food bank also has limited facilities to store donations, 200,000lbs maximum can be held in storage. Assume donations are processed separately, and added to the supply at the beginning of each week.

The amount of food donated is represented by: ps(s) = .4 for s = 1, & = .6 for s = 2

The amount of food demand is represented by: pd(d) = .3 for d = 1, & = .7 for d = 2

Develop a model to analyze the current state of the Food Bank. Assume a Markov model is desired where the state of the system is defined to be the amount of food in the food bank at the end of the week. Let Xn = the amount of food available at the end of week n.

a. Write an expression for Xn+1
b. Find the transition probability matrix for the current situation

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to write the expression and keep it bounded without using inequalities. Does that matter?

For the expression I have Xn+1 = Xn + Sn - dn

But, I need to bound this between 0 and 2 because it cannot go negative and it cannot store more than 200K-lbs. I think it is something like Max(Xn + Sn - dn, 0) but I don't know how to account for the upper bound.

I am pretty positive I have this one right. I worked out the sample space and probabilities for everything that could happen given we start with Xn = 0, 1 and 2 and came up with:

.82 .18 .00
.28 .54 .18
.00 .28 .72Thank you all for any help you can give!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
USN2ENG said:

Homework Statement

Through donations the food bank tries to feed as many people as possible. Assume there are no backorders - any unsatisfied demand is lost. The food bank also has limited facilities to store donations, 200,000lbs maximum can be held in storage. Assume donations are processed separately, and added to the supply at the beginning of each week.

The amount of food donated is represented by: ps(s) = .4 for s = 1, & = .6 for s = 2

The amount of food demand is represented by: pd(d) = .3 for d = 1, & = .7 for d = 2

Develop a model to analyze the current state of the Food Bank. Assume a Markov model is desired where the state of the system is defined to be the amount of food in the food bank at the end of the week. Let Xn = the amount of food available at the end of week n.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure how to write the expression and keep it bounded without using inequalities. Does that matter?

For the expression I have Xn+1 = Xn + Sn - dn

But, I need to bound this between 0 and 2 because it cannot go negative and it cannot store more than 200K-lbs. I think it is something like Max(Xn + Sn - dn, 0) but I don't know how to account for the upper bound.

I am pretty positive I have this one right. I worked out the sample space and probabilities for everything that could happen given we start with Xn = 0, 1 and 2 and came up with:

.82 .18 .00
.28 .54 .18
.00 .28 .72

Thank you all for any help you can give!

I don't see how you get the second row. If X0 = 1, we have X1 = 0 if S = 1 or 2 (so start the week with 2 in stock) and D = 2; and we have X1 = 1 if S = 1 or 2 and D = 1. (Presumably, extra supply is discarded if it would take stock over 2.)

Yeah, I just figured that out. My matrix was wrong because I was letting supply go greater than 2.

My expression should have been: Max( Min(Xn + Sn, 2) - dn, 0)

and my matrix should have been:

.82 .18 .00
.70 .30 .00
.70 .30 .00

This should be right, now.

Thanks again Mr. Vickson for the help.

Related to Writing expressions, Markov Models

1. What is the purpose of writing expressions in a Markov Model?

The purpose of writing expressions in a Markov Model is to represent the transition probabilities between states in a system. These expressions allow for the prediction of future states based on the current state and past observations.

2. How are expressions written in a Markov Model?

Expressions in a Markov Model are written using matrix notation. This involves representing the transition probabilities as a matrix with rows and columns corresponding to the different states in the system. The elements of the matrix represent the probability of transitioning from one state to another.

3. What are the key components of a Markov Model?

The key components of a Markov Model include the states of the system, the transition probabilities between states, and the initial state distribution. These components are used to construct the transition matrix and predict future states in the system.

4. How is a Markov Model used in data analysis?

Markov Models are commonly used in data analysis to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. They are particularly useful for time series data, as they can capture the dependence between observations and make predictions for future states based on past observations.

5. What are some limitations of Markov Models?

Markov Models assume that the future state of a system only depends on the current state and not on any previous states. This may not hold true for all systems, making Markov Models less accurate in certain situations. Additionally, they can only handle a limited number of states and may not be suitable for complex systems with many possible states.