Writing Feynman slash notation in LaTeX

In summary, Feynman slash notation is a method of representing Dirac matrices and vectors in quantum field theory. It is commonly used in LaTeX documents for its compact and visually appealing format. To write Feynman slash notation in LaTeX, the slash package can be used with the \slashed command, which allows for customization of the slash direction, length, and color. Other packages such as feynmf, feynmp, and feyn also provide advanced features for drawing Feynman diagrams and using Feynman slash notation. Common mistakes to watch out for when writing Feynman slash notation in LaTeX include forgetting to enclose the variable or symbol in curly braces and ensuring proper alignment in the equation.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
I started reading QFT recently. With respect to the Dirac spinors, I was introduced to Feynman's slash notation:

OR
There are sites which say how this can be inserted in LaTeX documents. I checked out the LaTeX guide of PF, but found that it is not listed there. Writing ##\text{##\slashed{p}##} ## gives an error.

How is this notation implemented here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Code:
##\not\! a##
##\not\! a##

Likes DrClaude, Greg Bernhardt and Wrichik Basu
BvU said:
Code:
##\not\! a##
##\not\! a##
Thanks. I believe this should be added to the LaTeX guide.

No credit to me, used my friend google to end up in a ##\TeX## forum... (answer by Werner)

Likes Wrichik Basu

1. What is Feynman slash notation in LaTeX?

Feynman slash notation is a mathematical notation used to represent the Dirac matrices in quantum field theory. It is commonly used to write down equations involving spinors, such as in particle physics.

2. How do I write Feynman slash notation in LaTeX?

To write Feynman slash notation in LaTeX, you can use the command \slashed followed by the variable or symbol you want to put a slash through. For example, \slashed{p} will produce a slashed p. You can also use the package "slashed" to make the notation look more professional.

3. Can I customize the appearance of Feynman slash notation in LaTeX?

Yes, you can customize the appearance of Feynman slash notation in LaTeX by using options such as color, size, and font. You can also use the \slashed command within other mathematical environments like equations or fractions.

4. Is Feynman slash notation necessary in all LaTeX documents?

No, Feynman slash notation is only necessary if you are writing equations involving spinors, such as in quantum field theory or particle physics. If you are not working in these fields, you do not need to use Feynman slash notation in your LaTeX documents.

5. Are there any alternative notations for Feynman slash in LaTeX?

Yes, there are some alternative packages that can be used to represent Feynman slash notation in LaTeX, such as "feyn" and "feynmf." However, the most commonly used and recommended way is to use the \slashed command and the "slashed" package.