Writing magnetic monopole analogs for electrical circuits

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of magnetic monopoles and how they would behave in a circuit. The individual is trying to figure out the equations for magnetic potential and the behavior of monopoles in various components such as capacitors, resistors, and inductors. They use Gauss's Law for Magnetism with monopoles and the relationship between electrical capacitance and magnetic charge to modify the analogy for capacitance in a magnetic circuit. They also discuss the concept of magnetic flux being equivalent to "magnetic current" in a magnetic monopole circuit, and they arrive at a conclusion that magnetic current is related to the rate of change of magnetic flux. They are unsure if their approach is correct and are seeking clarification.
QuantumCurt
Education Advisor

Homework Statement

This isn't a 'homework' problem as such. I'm currently in University Physics II (E&M), and I've become really interested in magnetic monopoles. They haven't been discussed in any kind of depth in my course, but I'm trying to figure out how a magnetic monopole (if they exist) would behave in a circuit. I've derived Gauss's Law for Magnetism under the assumption that monopoles exist, and I'm now trying to figure out the equations for magnetic potential, as well as the equations for the behavior of monopoles in capacitors, resistors, and inductors.

Homework Equations

Gauss's Law for Magnetism (with monopoles)
$$\Phi=\oint \vec B \cdot d \vec A=\mu_0q_m$$

The Attempt at a Solution

The magnetic vector potential is written in terms of the curl of a vector.

$$\vec B=\nabla x \vec A$$

The curl of a vector is not something that I've encountered yet. I'm currently in differential equations (which comes between calc II and calc III at my school). Is there a way to write magnetic potential in terms of an integral or algebraic expression? I've looked and haven't managed to find anything.

Using the relationship that electrical capacitance is ##C=\frac{q}{V}##, I simply wrote this as ##C_m=\frac{q_m}{V_m}## as a direct analogy for a hypothetical magnetic charge. Then I used the modified Gauss's Law for Magnetism and the relation that ##\Phi=\mu_0 q_m## to modify the magnetic analogy for capacitance as ##C_m=\frac{\Phi_m}{\mu_0 V_m}##

Is this a correct way of looking at it? Or is this way off? In either case, I'm still stuck with a magnetic potential that I don't know how to evaluate.

I've done a fair amount of reading on this, and I keep seeing that magnetic flux is essentially the equivalent of 'magnetic current' in a magnetic monopole circuit. Is this the case? I can't figure out how to mathematically arrive at this conclusion.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this a valid way of arriving at magnetic current?

In an electrical circuit, ##I=\frac{dq}{dt}##, thus in a magnetic circuit ##I_m=\frac{dq_m}{t}##, and ##q_m=\frac{\Phi_m}{\mu_0}##, therefore ##\frac{dq_m}{dt}=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\frac{d\Phi_m}{dt}##. This leads to a conclusion that $$I_m=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\frac{d\Phi_m}{dt}$$

This seems (to me) to be mathematically valid, and does arrive at a conclusion that magnetic current is related to the rate of change of the magnetic flux, which is what I've seen suggested in the various readings I've looked at. This seems too simple though. Am I on the right track? Any help would be much appreciated. :)

1. What are magnetic monopole analogs for electrical circuits?

Magnetic monopole analogs for electrical circuits are theoretical models that mimic the behavior of magnetic monopoles (particles with only one magnetic pole) in electric circuits. They are used to study and understand the behavior of such particles in a controlled environment.

2. Why are magnetic monopole analogs important in electrical circuits?

Magnetic monopole analogs are important in electrical circuits because they allow scientists to study and manipulate the behavior of magnetic monopoles, which are not yet observed in nature. This could potentially lead to new technologies and applications in the future.

3. How are magnetic monopole analogs created in electrical circuits?

Magnetic monopole analogs are created in electrical circuits by using special materials and designs that mimic the properties of magnetic monopoles. These materials are often artificially engineered and can exhibit behavior similar to magnetic monopoles when subjected to an external magnetic field.

4. What are the potential applications of magnetic monopole analogs in electrical circuits?

Some potential applications of magnetic monopole analogs in electrical circuits include the development of more efficient and compact electronic devices, improved data storage technologies, and advancements in quantum computing.

5. What are the challenges in creating and working with magnetic monopole analogs in electrical circuits?

One of the main challenges in working with magnetic monopole analogs in electrical circuits is the difficulty in creating and controlling them in a stable and repeatable manner. Additionally, the behavior of these analogs may not perfectly mimic that of true magnetic monopoles, making it challenging to accurately study their properties and potential applications.