Writing out the span of this polynomial vector space?

In summary: The Attempt at a SolutionI've already checked the three properties showing that it is a subspace of P2.I checked that it was closed under addition and scalar multiplication as well as containing the zero vector. But I am not clear how the book comes up with the span{t^2} part? If I am correct would the reason be that since a is already a scalar then t^2 is the part that generates the vectors in P2.hi halo31! :smile:… the book's answer is that it spans Pn by Theorem 1, because the set is span{t^2}…Theorem states "1 If v1...vp are in
halo31

Homework Statement

The problems states "All polynomials of the form p(t)= at^2, where a is in R."
I'm supposed to see if it is a subspace of Pn. I've already done that but the book's answer is that it spans Pn by Theorem 1, because the set is span{t^2}

Homework Equations

Theorem states "1 If v1...vp are in a vector space V , then Span {v1... vp.} is a subspace of V ."

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already checked the three properties showing that it is a subspace of P2.
I checked that it was closed under addition and scalar multiplication as well as containing the zero vector. But I am not clear how the book comes up with the span{t^2} part? If I am correct would the reason be that since a is already a scalar then t^2 is the part that generates the vectors in P2.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
hi halo31! :smile:
halo31 said:
… the book's answer is that it spans Pn by Theorem 1, because the set is span{t^2}

Theorem states "1 If v1...vp are in a vector space V , then Span {v1... vp.} is a subspace of V ."

yes … the definition of eg span{P,Q,R} is all elements of the form aP + bQ + cR

when there's only one element in the original set eg span{P}, that's just all elements of the form aP

here, P = t2 :wink:

I recommend that you go back and look at the basic definitions. The set of all polynomials of the form [itex]ax^2[/itex] is a vector space because
1) the 0 polynomial is of this form with a= 0.
2) the product of a real number, p, with such a polynomial is of this form: [itex]p(ax^2)= (ap)x^2[/itex] which is of that form with a replaced by ap.
3) the sum of two such polynomials, [itex]ax^2[/itex], [itex]bx^2[/itex] is of the same form- [itex]ax^2+ bx^2= (a+ b)x^2[/itex].
4) the "additive inverse" of [itex]ax^2[/itex] is [itex]-ax^2= (-a)x^2[/itex] which is again of that form.

A basis for a vector space is a set of vectors that both span the space and are independent. Every vector in this space can be written as [itex]ax^2= (a)x^2[/itex] so that each vector is a linear combination (actually a multiple) of [itex]x^2[/itex] so [itex]\{x^2\}[/itex] alone spans the space. And, of course, a set consisting of a single non-zero vector is always independent.

Related to Writing out the span of this polynomial vector space?

1. What is a polynomial vector space?

A polynomial vector space is a set of polynomials that can be added together and multiplied by constants to create new polynomials. These polynomials can have varying degrees and coefficients, but they all follow the same rules for addition and multiplication.

2. How do you write out the span of a polynomial vector space?

To write out the span of a polynomial vector space, you need to find all possible linear combinations of the polynomials in the space. This means multiplying each polynomial by a constant and adding them together. The resulting set of polynomials is the span of the vector space.

3. What is the significance of finding the span of a polynomial vector space?

Finding the span of a polynomial vector space allows us to understand the range of possible polynomials that can be created using the polynomials in the space. It also helps us determine the dimension of the vector space, which is the number of independent polynomials that can be used to create any polynomial in the space.

4. Can the span of a polynomial vector space be infinite?

Yes, the span of a polynomial vector space can be infinite. This can occur when there are an infinite number of independent polynomials in the space, or when there are an infinite number of possible linear combinations of the polynomials in the space.

5. How is the span of a polynomial vector space related to its basis?

The basis of a polynomial vector space is a set of independent polynomials that span the entire space. This means that any polynomial in the space can be created using a linear combination of the basis polynomials. The span of the vector space is the set of all possible linear combinations of the basis polynomials.