Writing Reactions: Acid/Base Balanced Reactions

• Thread starter d.tran103
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reactions
In summary, the conversation revolves around reviewing how to write reactions to determine which reactant should behave as the acid and which should behave as the base. The speaker is trying to help someone with a class and mentions that the ionic charge should balance on both sides. They then discuss specific reactions, with the speaker mentioning that the state of the reactants may be important and asking for clarification on how to determine the products. The expert summarizer suggests studying the structure and properties of elements and compounds to better understand reactions. In response to a question about whether the base or acid should be determined first, the expert confirms that this is necessary and may depend on whether the reactants are strong or weak acids/bases.
d.tran103
Okay, I'm reviewing how to write reactions to determine which reactant should behave as the acid and which should behave as the base. I haven't seen this material in over a year and am actually trying to help someone out with a class. I know the ionic charge should balance on both sides.

1) HF(aq) + H2O(l) <---> H3O+(aq) + F-(aq)
I know that the acid is HF and its conjugate base is F-, while H2O is the base and H3O is its conjugate acid. My problem here is knowing how to write the balanced reaction. How am I supposed to know that it yields H3O+(aq) + F-(aq)? For example, I could see it going to OH- + H2F+ as well. Does the state (gas,solid,liquid, etc.) have any importance?

2) NH3(aq) +H2O(l)<--->NH4+(aq)+OH-(aq)
H2O is the acid and OH- is its conjugate base. NH3 is the base and NH4+ is its conjugate acid. I'm having the same problem here. How do I know what NH3 and H2O is supposed to yield?

Thanks!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Do I have to figure out which reactant will behave as the base or acid first? And would this be based off of strong/weak acids/bases?

You need to study structure and properties of various elements and compounds. Once you know how a particular element/compound behaves you can predict reactions

d.tran103 said:
Do I have to figure out which reactant will behave as the base or acid first? And would this be based off of strong/weak acids/bases?

Yes & yes.

Okay thanks!

1. What is an acid/base balanced reaction?

An acid/base balanced reaction is a chemical reaction between an acid and a base that results in the formation of a salt and water. This type of reaction is also known as a neutralization reaction.

2. How do you write a balanced acid/base reaction?

To write a balanced acid/base reaction, you must first identify the acid and base involved. Next, you must determine the products of the reaction, which will always be a salt and water. Finally, balance the equation by making sure that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation are equal.

3. What are some common examples of acid/base reactions?

Some common examples of acid/base reactions include the reaction between hydrochloric acid (HCl) and sodium hydroxide (NaOH) to form sodium chloride (NaCl) and water (H2O), and the reaction between sulfuric acid (H2SO4) and potassium hydroxide (KOH) to form potassium sulfate (K2SO4) and water (H2O).

4. How do you determine the strength of an acid or base in a reaction?

The strength of an acid or base in a reaction is determined by its pH level. Acids have a pH less than 7, while bases have a pH greater than 7. The lower the pH of an acid, the stronger it is, and the higher the pH of a base, the stronger it is.

5. What is the purpose of balancing acid/base reactions?

The purpose of balancing acid/base reactions is to ensure that the number of atoms on both sides of the equation are equal. This is important because it follows the law of conservation of mass, which states that matter cannot be created or destroyed in a chemical reaction.