Writing the differential equation

In summary, a chemical reaction A -> B is conducted in a closed vessel with a volume of 30.5 gallons. After 2 hours, the vessel contains B but the amount is unknown. Using the reaction rate constant k=9.3x10^-3 g/L per minute, the amount of B in grams can be determined by integrating the equation dB/dt = -8.05501967x10^-5 * B. However, there may be some confusion in the units and further clarification is needed.
A_lilah

Homework Statement

A chemical reaction A -> B is carried out in a closed vessel. If the tank volume is 30.5 gallons, and there is now B in the tank at t=0, how much B in grams does the tank contain after 2 hours? The reaction rate is constant, k, and k= 9.3x10^-3 g/L per minute

Homework Equations

B = amount of B in grams, in the vessel at a given time, t (in hours)
dB/dt = inflow of B - outflow of B

The Attempt at a Solution

1. There is now outflow of B because the vessel is closed and the reaction only goes one way, so dB/dt = inflow of B

2. Covert gallons to liters: 30.5gal (1000L / 264.17 gal) = 115.4559564L

3. B (grams)/ 115.4559564 L = amount of B in the vessel at any specific time

4. (B/155.4559564)(-9.3x10^-3) = B * -8.05501967x10^-5 ( units = g^2min / L^2)

****This is where I got a little confused, because the units are so weird, but I integrated anyways, just to see if my solution would make sense******

5. dB/dt = B * -8.05501967x10^-5

6. 1/B dB = -8.05501967x10^-5 dt

7. lnB = -8.05501967x10^-5 *t + C

8. e^(lnB) = e^(-8.05501967x10^-5 *t + C)

9. B = e^(-8.05501967x10^-5 *t + C), or, because this = e^(-8.05501967x10^-5 *t) * e^C, which is just another constant, C, you get:

B = Ce^(-8.05501967x10^-5 *t)
At t= 0, B=0 (from above) --- plugging that in, you find C = 0...

And this is where I am completely lost. We just learned how to do this yesterday,and I got this problem in another class, so any help would be great!
Thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Did I add the reaction rate in right?

Related to Writing the differential equation

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of variables and their rates of change to model real-world phenomena.

2. Why do we use differential equations?

Differential equations are used to model and understand complex systems in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They allow us to describe and predict the behavior of systems over time.

3. How do you write a differential equation?

To write a differential equation, you first need to identify the variables and their rates of change in the system. Then, you can use mathematical operations and functions to express the relationship between these variables and their derivatives. Finally, you can solve the equation to obtain a solution that describes the behavior of the system.

4. What are the types of differential equations?

The types of differential equations include ordinary differential equations (ODEs) and partial differential equations (PDEs). ODEs involve a single independent variable, while PDEs involve multiple independent variables. Additionally, both types can be further classified as linear or nonlinear, depending on the form of the equation.

5. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have numerous applications in various fields. They are used to model population growth, chemical reactions, motion of objects, heat transfer, and electrical circuits, among others. They also play a crucial role in developing mathematical models for predicting and understanding natural phenomena.