X-ray graph (characteristic X-rays)

In summary, the conversation discusses the portrayal of characteristic X-rays on a graph. The correct answer, C, is shown on the graph but there is confusion about why the other options, D and B, are incorrect. B has a line in an incorrect location and D shows energy levels that are too high and close together. The professor clarified that B is not necessarily wrong, but C is the more accurate option.
Matejxx1

Homework Statement

4. On which graph are the characteristic X-rays being portrayed correctly.

Homework Equations

Slika nove bitne slike.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

ok I know that characteristic X-rays happen because the electrons in outer shells move to the lowest possible energy shell and that the change in energy equals the energy of the emited X-rays
My question now looking at the picture I don't quite know why the graphs D and B are incorrect , I know that A can't be true and that C is the correct answer, but can someone explain to me why D and B are wrong ?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
B has a line where it should not have one.
D: The energy levels are at high energies and close together which looks suspicious, but I don't think you can clearly rule it out without numbers.

Likes Matejxx1
thanks for the answer
Yeah that is what I was thinking
D: is it completely impossible for an atom to emit x rays which are at high energie levels? and does an atom always emit X-rays only at the end part of the graph

Update : I asked the professor why B could not be the right. his reply was :" B is not the wrong answer C is just more right." and he also said if I had choosen B he would not have marked it as a wrong answer

Oh, well... fine.

1. What are characteristic X-rays and how are they produced?

Characteristic X-rays are a type of X-ray emission that occurs when inner shell electrons in an atom are excited and then drop down to fill a vacancy in the outer shells. This produces X-ray photons with specific energies that are unique to each element. They are produced when a high-energy electron beam strikes a material, such as in an X-ray tube or in a synchrotron accelerator.

2. How are characteristic X-rays used in X-ray spectroscopy?

Characteristic X-rays are used in X-ray spectroscopy to determine the elemental composition of a material. By analyzing the energies of the emitted X-rays, scientists can identify the specific elements present in a sample. This is useful in various fields such as materials science, forensics, and medicine.

3. What is the difference between characteristic X-rays and bremsstrahlung X-rays?

Characteristic X-rays are produced when inner shell electrons are excited and then drop down to fill a vacancy in the outer shells. On the other hand, bremsstrahlung X-rays are produced when high-energy electrons are decelerated by the electric field of a target material. Bremsstrahlung X-rays have a continuous spectrum of energies, while characteristic X-rays have specific energies depending on the element.

4. Can characteristic X-rays be used to determine the structure of a material?

No, characteristic X-rays alone cannot determine the structure of a material. They can only provide information about the elemental composition. To determine the structure of a material, other techniques such as X-ray diffraction or electron microscopy are needed.

5. Are characteristic X-rays harmful to humans?

Characteristic X-rays are a type of ionizing radiation, which means they have enough energy to remove electrons from atoms and can potentially cause damage to living tissue. However, the amount of exposure to characteristic X-rays from medical and scientific applications is carefully controlled to minimize harm to humans. In general, the risk of harm from characteristic X-rays is low, but precautions such as wearing protective equipment should always be taken when working with them.