Xilinx software to sketch AND and OR gates

In summary, in the Xilinx software symbol library (student edition version 10.1), the maximum number of inputs for AND and OR gates is 9. To create a 10-input AND or OR gate, one can use the notation for a "bus" in Xilinx ISE and connect all 10 inputs together. Alternatively, two 5-input gates can be connected and then the outputs of those gates can be connected to a 2-input gate to create a 10-input gate. This system will function as a 10-input gate.
sami23

Homework Statement

In the Xilinx software symbol library (student edition version 10.1), the maximum number of inputs for AND and OR gates is 9. What would you do if a 10-input AND and OR gates are needed? Draw the schematic diagrams and show the connections.

Homework Equations

(a1+a2+...+a10)=(a1+a2+...+a9) +a10

Boolean Equations:
AND: multiply each input = output
OR: add each input = output

The Attempt at a Solution

Put the AND operations to 9 AND input and then pass the output to the two inputs with another input as a10.

Similar thing can be done to OR gates.I have attached my attempt sketch. It looks like I have 11 inputs in total and I need 10. How can I sketch the connections of the 10-input gates?

Attachments

• IMG_0684.jpg
    IMG_0684.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 478
Physics news on Phys.org
Xilinx ISE has a notation for something we might call a "bus". It is a name follow by an interval specifier. See the example below.

http://uhaweb.hartford.edu/jmhill/suppnotes/isetut/ise9x2/schem_fourbit_2.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So you could label each dangling wire, and then connect all ten wires together to a bus named "a(9:0)" just as the bus "Avail(3:0)" picture above.

I think I need to take two 5-input AND gates and connect the 10-inputs. Then take 1 2-input AND gate and connect output of two gates to the input of gate. Will the whole system function as a 10 input AND gate?

How do I represent that? I've attached my attempt

Attachments

• IMG_0685.jpg
    IMG_0685.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 467

One solution could be to use a multiplexer to combine the 10 inputs into one input for the AND or OR gate. The multiplexer would have 10 inputs and one output, where the output would be connected to the input of the AND or OR gate. This way, all 10 inputs can be used in the gate without exceeding the maximum number of inputs. The schematic diagram for this solution would look something like this:

AND gate with 10 inputs:
(a1+a2+...+a9) + (a10) = output
Multiplexer:
(a1, a2, ..., a9, a10) = output

OR gate with 10 inputs:
(a1+a2+...+a9) + (a10) = output
Multiplexer:
(a1, a2, ..., a9, a10) = output

Alternatively, you could also use multiple smaller AND or OR gates with 9 inputs each and then combine their outputs using additional logic gates to achieve the desired result. This approach may require more components and may not be as efficient, but it is another option to consider.

Related to Xilinx software to sketch AND and OR gates

1. What is Xilinx software used for?

Xilinx software is used for designing and programming Field-Programmable Gate Arrays (FPGAs). It allows users to create custom digital circuits and systems by using a hardware description language, such as Verilog or VHDL.

2. How do I use Xilinx software to sketch AND and OR gates?

The first step is to open the Xilinx software and create a new project. Then, select the type of FPGA you will be using. Next, create a new source file and write the Verilog or VHDL code for the AND and OR gates. You can use the built-in simulation tools to verify your design before programming it onto the FPGA.

3. Can I use Xilinx software to sketch other types of logic gates?

Yes, Xilinx software can be used to design and program a variety of logic gates, such as NOT, NAND, NOR, and XOR gates. It also allows for the creation of more complex circuits and systems by combining these basic logic gates.

4. Is Xilinx software suitable for beginners?

While Xilinx software can be used by beginners, it does require some knowledge of hardware description languages and digital design concepts. It may be helpful to have some previous experience with programming or electronics before using Xilinx software.

5. Are there any alternatives to Xilinx software for designing FPGAs?

Yes, there are other software tools available for designing FPGAs, such as Altera Quartus and Lattice Diamond. However, Xilinx software is widely used and offers a user-friendly interface and a large community for support and resources.