XOR Gate Circuits: Draw Z with Lowest # of 2 Input Gates

• Engineering
  • Thread starter kukumaluboy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuits Gate
In summary: Now, in summary, the circuit for Z with the lowest number of 2-input XOR gates is achieved by using two XOR gates to create the outputs P and Q, and then combining them with another XOR gate to get the final answer ANS. This allows for a simpler and more efficient circuit design.
kukumaluboy
Z(A,B,C,D) = SUM-M(1,2,4,7,8,11,13,14)

Draw circuit of Z with lowest number of 2 inputs xor-gates.

Can i have a clue? I tried drawing k map and had too many terms.

Physics news on Phys.org
kukumaluboy said:
I tried drawing k map and had too many terms.
Can you show us what you've done?

dqoopu.jpg

So from the K map, in the 1st row, AB looks like a xor.

Likes Greg Bernhardt
bump.!

Your observation about the first row of the map is good. Note how the third row is identical. Note also how the other rows are the negation of them. Contemplate how you might build a NOT gate from an XOR. Does it give you any ideas?

Thanks for tip!

Ok so With a xor gate i can get a'b+ ab' as an output. Let's call this output as P.

Next step is for me to get c'd' + cd which is simply xnor? So i will use a xor(c,d)=Q. Th3n ill xor(Q,1) to get the inverse?

Now to combine both P and Q do i need to construct AND gate with xor?

kukumaluboy said:
Thanks for tip!

Ok so With a xor gate i can get a'b+ ab' as an output. Let's call this output as P.
Okay, fine. That's a XOR b. It'll come in handy.
Next step is for me to get c'd' + cd which is simply xnor? So i will use a xor(c,d)=Q. Th3n ill xor(Q,1) to get the inverse?

Now to combine both P and Q do i need to construct AND gate with xor?
It's getting complicated again. If I may suggest a short digression:

Did you spend any time playing with the XOR gate to try to make a NOT gate? Hint: you can assume access to constants TRUE and FALSE (or 1 and 0) to use as inputs anywhere you like. If you feed one input of an XOR with a fixed 0, what does it do to the other input? How about if you use a fixed 1? Can you think of any interesting uses for such a beast? How about if the "fixed" input were actually another signal?

Hi! In my reply i used a fixed "1". Xor(Q, 1)

kukumaluboy said:
Hi! In my reply i used a fixed "1". Xor(Q, 1)
Okay, but maybe you can think of another signal to use for the "1" that would select the appropriate action for that XOR to match the other rows in the table? What values of cd are associated with the "straight" a XOR b, and which with its complement?

Likes kukumaluboy
Challenge accepted :cool:

Hi my finam answeer
answer.

Q = XOR(A , B)
P = XOR(C , D)
ANS = XOR(Q , P)

kukumaluboy said:
Hi my finam answeer
answer.

Q = XOR(A , B)
P = XOR(C , D)
ANS = XOR(Q , P)
That seems to work.

kukumaluboy said:
Hi my finam answeer
answer.

Q = XOR(A , B)
P = XOR(C , D)
ANS = XOR(Q , P)
Yes, well done.

1. What is an XOR gate circuit?

An XOR gate circuit is a type of digital logic circuit that performs an exclusive OR (XOR) operation. It takes two binary inputs and produces a single output that is only true when one of the inputs is true. It is commonly used in computer processors and other electronic devices.

2. How do you draw Z with the lowest number of 2-input gates?

To draw Z with the lowest number of 2-input gates, you would need to use a total of four XOR gates. First, draw two XOR gates with inputs A and B, and then connect their outputs to the inputs of a third XOR gate. Finally, connect the output of the third XOR gate to the second input of a fourth XOR gate, and connect the first input of the fourth XOR gate to the output of a fourth gate. The output of the fourth XOR gate will be Z.

3. Can you provide an example of a circuit that uses XOR gates to produce Z?

Here is an example of a circuit that uses four XOR gates to produce Z:

XOR gate circuit for Z

4. What are the advantages of using XOR gate circuits?

XOR gate circuits have several advantages, including:

• They are simple and easy to design and implement.
  • They can be used in a variety of applications, such as error detection, data encryption, and code translation.
  • They have a relatively low power consumption, making them energy-efficient.
  • They can be cascaded together to create more complex logic functions.

5. Are there any limitations to using XOR gate circuits?

While XOR gate circuits have many advantages, they also have some limitations. One limitation is that they can only take two binary inputs and produce a single output. This means they cannot perform more complex logic operations that require more than two inputs. Additionally, XOR gate circuits can become more complex and difficult to troubleshoot when multiple gates are cascaded together.