XRD for grain size measurement

In summary, there are various sources available that discuss the advantages and drawbacks of measuring grain size using X-Ray Diffraction (XRD). Some recommended sources are the Wikipedia article on the Scherrer equation and the book "Solid State Physics" by Rook and Hall. Additionally, the PDF tutorial provided by the University of South Carolina is also a helpful resource. XRD can provide valuable information beyond just grain size.
RichieTU
Hello,

Could you explain or prompt me to an article or source that mentions the advantages/setbacks from measuring the grain size of materials using X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)?

Engineering news on Phys.org
RichieTU said:
Hello,

Could you explain or prompt me to an article or source that mentions the advantages/setbacks from measuring the grain size of materials using X-Ray Diffraction (XRD)?
Have you read the wikipedia article for the Scherrer equation?

Vagn said:
Have you read the wikipedia article for the Scherrer equation?

Thanks for your reply. I have read about the Scherrer equation but I was wondering if there is anything more except for that as well.

There are a few books out there, one of my favorites is Solid State Physics by Rook and Hall. Explains the concept of XRD and how to effectively use the Scherrer equation. Diffraction can inform you on a lot more than grain size.
Also you can try this
http://www.chem.sc.edu/faculty/zurloye/xrdtutorial_2013.pdf

1. What is XRD and how is it used for grain size measurement?

XRD, or X-ray diffraction, is a technique used to determine the crystal structure and composition of materials. In grain size measurement, XRD can be used to analyze the diffraction patterns of a material to determine the size and distribution of grains within the material.

2. What are the advantages of using XRD for grain size measurement?

XRD offers several advantages for grain size measurement, including non-destructive analysis, high accuracy, and the ability to analyze a wide range of materials. It also allows for rapid and automated analysis, making it a more efficient method compared to traditional techniques.

3. What are the limitations of using XRD for grain size measurement?

XRD is not suitable for measuring grains smaller than 1 micron in size, as the technique requires a sufficient amount of material for analysis. It also cannot distinguish between individual grains and may not accurately measure the shape of grains.

4. How does XRD compare to other techniques for grain size measurement?

XRD is often preferred over other techniques, such as microscopy or sieving, because it can provide more comprehensive information about the crystallographic properties of a material. However, it may not be as precise for measuring smaller grain sizes compared to electron microscopy.

5. What factors can affect the accuracy of grain size measurement using XRD?

The accuracy of grain size measurement using XRD can be affected by factors such as sample preparation, instrument calibration, and the presence of preferred orientation in the material. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure the most accurate results.