Young Belgian HS Student :-)

In summary, a young Belgian high school student is a student who is currently enrolled in high school in Belgium. They may be pursuing a general education or specializing in a specific subject. Belgian high school students are typically between the ages of 12 and 18 and are preparing for higher education or entering the workforce. They may face challenges such as balancing schoolwork with extracurricular activities and navigating the transition to adulthood. However, they also have opportunities to explore their interests and develop skills that will benefit them in the future.
Alexswash
Well hello there,

My name is Alex, I'm a belgian high school student (currently going to start my senior year), and I'm 17.
I love this forum, it helps me a lot when I need an info about physics, the physics major and the jobs associated with physics.
I joined this forum because I myself have a lot of questions concerning my future...
I really am quite curious about the world that surrounds me, that's why I love physics (at least the simple algebra-based course that we're seeing in school and the dumbed down popular physics books and tv shows that I love reading and watching) and math (I tried the national Olympiad, but only went to semi-finals, hopefully next year I'll reach the finals...). I spend nearly all of my free time reading about math and physics! I'm quite good at these courses, achieving +90% grades (and my overall grades are around 80%) I discovered this passion maybe 1 year ago.
I'm thinking about doing physics at university, even if friends and teachers tell me to do engineering (which in my country requires an entrance exam) because it's more secure and opens a lot of doors for the future, while still doing a lot of physics and math. But I'm not really in that mind state, I really want to contribute to science by doing research, even though only the bests of the physics majors go on to do that. What excites me at this moment (even if I haven't really got an idea of what REAL physics and what REAL math is like) is theoretical physics... Building theoretical mathematical models of reality, I find this really amazing ! (despite having no idea what doing research is like ...) I don't yet know which area of physics interests me the most (I'll wait and decide that once in university)

For now, it's really my passion, but I don't know whether I'll be capable of succeeding, since I hear that the degree is quite difficult... I'm hesitating with engineering, since it's probably less abstract, you don't study that long compared to physics, and you get a higher salary and good job... I'm also hesitating with math, since it's really interesting and in theoretical physics you need quite a lot of math, so maybe math major, physics minor can be interesting ?

I'll probably go to Université Catholique de Louvain (in Louvain-la-neuve, not Leuven), because the first year of physics is common to the math major... that will leave me time to decide. But the Free University of Brussels (ULB) seems also like a good choice, so I don't really know which one to choose.

I also plan to buy physics and math books, so any recommendations are of course welcome :-) I plan to buy :
- University Physics by Sears and Zemansky,
- What is mathematics ? by Courant,
- Calculus from Larson,
- Understanding Physics by Asimov,
- Concepts of modern mathematics by Ian Stewart,
- The Fabric of the Cosmos by Brian Greene,
- other suggestions ?

I'm currently reading An Imaginary Tale of √-1, which is REALLY interesting!

Sorry for the long post, and thank you to those who will respond :-)

Likes ISamson
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Alexswash.
smiley_sign_welcome.gif

Check out the forums under Science Education.

Alexswash said:
- other suggestions ?

Welcome to PF!
Have you read the books by Stephen Hawking? (A Brief History of Time is a very good book. I loved it.)
"Calculating the Cosmos" is a book I am now reading anlso by Ian Stewart