Young's Double Slit Experiment - Good Set Up?

In summary, the conversation is discussing setting up an experiment to measure the distance between tracks in a CD using only a cardboard box, a ruler, and a laser pointer. The proposed setup involves cutting two slits in the cardboard box, placing it in front of the laser, and using the CD as a diffraction grating to reflect the laser onto the wall. The formula d (sinθ) = mλ will be used to calculate the distance. However, it is suggested that the cardboard box and extra slits may not be necessary and could complicate the experiment.
RockPigeon
Hello, I'm trying to set up an experiment to measure the distance between tracks in a CD, using only 3 items.

I can only use a cardboard box, a ruler, and a laser pointer, and I will be using a double slit.

So I'm thinking I will cut two slits in the carboard box, place it in front of the laser, place the cd behind that, and shine the laser through the slits, off of the cd and reflect them onto the wall. Then I would use d (sinθ) = mλ to calculate for d.

Does this seem logical?

Thanks for the input.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you need the cardboard box. The CD is already there to act like a diffraction grating. The extra slits are just going to complicate things.

RockPigeon said:
Hello, I'm trying to set up an experiment to measure the distance between tracks in a CD, using only 3 items.

I can only use a cardboard box, a ruler, and a laser pointer, and I will be using a double slit.

So I'm thinking I will cut two slits in the carboard box, place it in front of the laser, place the cd behind that, and shine the laser through the slits, off of the cd and reflect them onto the wall. Then I would use d (sinθ) = mλ to calculate for d.

Does this seem logical?

Thanks for the input.
What is the purpose of the double slits, in your proposed setup?

1. What is the Young's Double Slit Experiment?

The Young's Double Slit Experiment is a classic optical experiment that demonstrates the wave-like nature of light. It involves a beam of light passing through two parallel slits and creating an interference pattern on a screen behind the slits.

2. What is a good set up for the Young's Double Slit Experiment?

A good set up for the Young's Double Slit Experiment involves using a monochromatic light source, such as a laser, and two narrow slits that are close together. The slits should be placed parallel to each other and the screen should be placed at a sufficient distance away from the slits to observe the interference pattern.

3. Why is a monochromatic light source recommended for this experiment?

A monochromatic light source, such as a laser, produces light of a single wavelength, which is important for creating a clear and distinct interference pattern. If a non-monochromatic light source is used, the interference pattern will be less defined and may appear blurred.

4. How does the distance between the slits affect the interference pattern?

The distance between the slits, also known as the slit separation, affects the spacing of the interference pattern. As the slit separation increases, the spacing between the bright and dark fringes also increases. This is because a larger slit separation results in a larger difference in the path lengths of the light waves passing through the slits, leading to a more pronounced interference pattern.

5. What happens to the interference pattern if the screen is moved closer or farther away from the slits?

If the screen is moved closer to the slits, the interference pattern will become more spread out, with larger spacing between the fringes. On the other hand, if the screen is moved farther away, the interference pattern will become more condensed, with smaller spacing between the fringes. This is because the distance between the slits and the screen affects the angle at which the light waves converge, resulting in a change in the interference pattern.