Double slit displaying anti-fringes?

In summary, the conversation discussed the possibility of creating an anti-fringe pattern in a double slit experiment by using a retarding plate. However, it was noted that simply rotating the plate would not result in a clear anti-fringe pattern due to the presence of diffraction. The concept of using multiple slits to create a phased array and control the direction of the beam was also mentioned. It was concluded that the unique aspect of the anti-fringe pattern is that it operates between alternate slits rather than one-way paths.
Marco Masi
The conventional Young double slit experiment displays the interference fringes with the first intensity maxima at the center of the detection screen ('center' means aligned with the center between two slits of equal aperture). These are simply called 'fringes'. However, I'm wondering if and how one can construct a similar double slit experiment with anti-fringes appearing? Anti-fringes have the maxima where the fringes have minima, and vice-versa. That should be the case when the phase difference between the two slit-beams is of 90°. However, putting in front of one of the slits a 90° retarding plate won't result in an anti-fringe pattern alone but is mixed and blurred up with the diffraction envelope (the usual normal distribution Gaussian Bell-shaped function). If one places two retarding plates of 45° on each slit one won't get the anti-fringe pattern either, one gets again only the diffraction pattern (as the sum of the fring+anti-fringe). So, I'm wondering if there is a simple experimental arrangement that displays only the anti-fringes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Marco Masi said:
. So, I'm wondering if there is a simple experimental arrangement that displays only the anti-fringes?

Hmmm.. my initial guess was to try as you suggest- putting one slit in phase quadrature with the other. Why do you say that results in a 'mixed and blurred' diffraction pattern?

Likes sophiecentaur
Andy Resnick said:
one slit in phase quadrature
Two pieces of glass, with one piece λ/4 thicker. As you say, "why blurred?" The cancellation and enhancement will still occur at the same rate (near the axis). Blurring would only occur if there were other sources of light. Filling in of the nulls would occur if the amplitudes of the two sources were unequal.
The best mental picture for all these questions is surely to use two radio frequency antennae, fed from the same source and with amplitude / phase knobs. (But then I may be biassed here.)

Likes tech99
The simplest method must be to rotate the plate so that one slit is half a wavelength in front of the other.
As we do not routinely set up this experiment with micron precision, it shows that we are never sure anyway what we are actually looking at, and it makes almost no difference. The whole pattern is just shifted by half a fringe spacing.

Yes, I realize now the image would not be blurred, it is just one beam phase shifted, no blurring. But also the fringes are not shifted. The maxima decrease to zero while the minima grow up to maxima. In between they sum up to the Gaussian. Indeed, rotating the plate in front of one slit is the simplest method to illustrate it. As I understand it it must be a half-wavelength plate, which causes for half rotation a 360° shift?

tech99 said:
The simplest method must be to rotate the plate so that one slit is half a wavelength in front of the other.
As we do not routinely set up this experiment with micron precision, it shows that we are never sure anyway what we are actually looking at, and it makes almost no difference. The whole pattern is just shifted by half a fringe spacing.
it may be more convincing to leave the slits and screen in the same orientation and move the source to one side (doing the geometry right) so that the waves arrive at the back of the slits in the relative phase you wanted.
Marco Masi said:
As I understand it it must be a half-wavelength plate, which causes for half rotation a 360° shift?
I'm not sure what you mean here and in this context. Isn't a half wave plate a component in polarisation experiments? You need a path length change of a half wave in one path.

Increasing the number of slits effectively produces a phased array, and a stearable beam. A concept that has real world applications in radar and ultrasound.

Is an anti-fringe, where there is destructive interference and so decreased visibility? Is it visible by itself?

Julian Phillips said:
Increasing the number of slits effectively produces a phased array, and a stearable beam. A concept that has real world applications in radar and ultrasound.
You would need to change the thickness if you wanted to 'steer' the beam. It would be more of a 'tilted' beam. This is nothing unusual.
But we are missing the fact that there is a path from 3 to 1, as well as a path from 1 to 3. In terms of multiple element antenna arrays, it would be the equivalent to weighting the outside elements (Amplitude and phase) differently. That could broaden or narrow the beam marginally.
I guess what's special about this effect is that it operates between alternate slits; there is no one way path from 1 to 2 or 3 to 3.

1. What is a double slit displaying anti-fringes?

A double slit displaying anti-fringes is a phenomenon observed when light passes through two narrow slits and creates a pattern of dark and light bands on a screen. Unlike the traditional double-slit experiment, where the pattern consists of bright and dark fringes, the anti-fringes pattern has dark bands where the bright bands would typically be, and vice versa.

2. How is a double slit displaying anti-fringes different from a regular double-slit experiment?

In a regular double-slit experiment, the pattern on the screen consists of bright and dark fringes, which are created by the interference of light waves passing through the two slits. In contrast, a double slit displaying anti-fringes has a pattern of dark and light bands, which are created by the destructive and constructive interference of light waves.

3. What causes the formation of anti-fringes in a double slit experiment?

The formation of anti-fringes in a double slit experiment is caused by the superposition of light waves from the two slits. When the peaks of the waves from one slit coincide with the troughs of the waves from the other slit, they cancel each other out, resulting in a dark band. Similarly, when the peaks of the waves coincide, they amplify each other, creating a bright band.

4. Can anti-fringes be observed with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, anti-fringes can be observed with other types of waves, such as sound waves. In fact, the double-slit experiment was first performed with water waves, which also showed the formation of anti-fringes. The phenomenon of anti-fringes is a result of the wave nature of light and can be observed with any type of wave.

5. What are the practical applications of studying double slit displaying anti-fringes?

Studying double slit displaying anti-fringes has several practical applications, such as in the development of new imaging techniques and technologies. The phenomenon has also been used in the field of quantum mechanics to study the wave-particle duality of matter. Additionally, understanding anti-fringes can help improve the accuracy and precision of measurements in various scientific fields.