Young's modulus and uncertainty

In summary, The homework statement asks for the Young's modulus corresponding to a change in length by a given step size. Although the units are missing, it is clear that ∆L is equal to the least count of length measurements. This makes the option that the smallest change will give the maximum value of Y the correct choice.
Jahnavi

Homework Statement

uncertainty.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Y = (F/A)/(∆L/L) = FL/A∆L

Putting values of F , L , A and simplifying

Y = 2×109/∆L

I don't know how to proceed . I also don't understand what is uncertainty in length and uncertainty in strain .
Is uncertainty the same thing as error in the measurement of a quantity ?

Please help me with the problem .

Attachments

• uncertainty.png
    uncertainty.png
    19 KB · Views: 2,270
Physics news on Phys.org
Jahnavi said:
Y = 2×109/∆L
This is missing units.
Jahnavi said:
Is uncertainty the same thing as error in the measurement of a quantity ?
Error is (usually) the colloquial name for uncertainty.

You are given the step size of length measurements. What is the Young's modulus that corresponds to a change by this step size under the given load?

mfb said:
This is missing units

Sorry !

Y = 2×109/∆L N/m2

mfb said:
You are given the step size of length measurements.

But why should ∆L be equal to least count of measurement of length i.e why should ∆L = .01mm ?

Jahnavi said:
But why should ∆L be equal to least count of measurement of length i.e why should ∆L = .01mm ?
That is the smallest length change you can measure. It is interesting to see at which point the actual length change is equal to this smallest measurable change.

Likes Jahnavi
mfb said:
That is the smallest length change you can measure.

∆L depends on the force applied and the properties of the material .

Least count is the smallest length measured by the instrument .

These are two separate things .

I still do not understand why should ∆L be equal to the least count ?

Jahnavi said:
I still do not understand why should ∆L be equal to the least count ?
It does not have to be.
The question is "what happens if that is the case?" What can we say about a material that has this specific case?

Is it right that since the least possible value of ∆L that can be measured will be equal to the least count , that smallest change will give the maximum possible value of Y that can be measured ?

In that case Y = 2 × 1014 N/m2 which makes 3) false .

Jahnavi said:
Is it right that since the least possible value of ∆L that can be measured will be equal to the least count , that smallest change will give the maximum possible value of Y that can be measured ?
Right.
Jahnavi said:
In that case Y = 2 × 1014 N/m2 which makes 3) false .
Good, that is one part done.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks .

Now I would like to check options 1) and 4) .

I will write Young's modulus as Y = FL/(πr2l)

L = length of the rod
l = Increase in the length of the rod
r = radius of cross section of the rod

∆Y/Y = ∆L/L + 2∆r/r + ∆l/l

Doubt 1) : Since least count is same for measuring lengths , does this mean ∆L = ∆l = ∆r ?

Doubt 2) : Minimum contribution in ∆Y/Y would be from ∆L/L which makes 1) option correct .

Is that correct ?

Doubt 3) :Contribution from error in strain would be the sum of 1st and 3rd terms i.e ∆L/L + ∆l/l .

But why would this contribution be maximum ?

Why wouldn't contribution of "error in radius " 2∆r/r i.e the 2nd term in ∆Y/Y be maximum ?

Jahnavi said:
Since least count is same for measuring lengths , does this mean ∆L = ∆l = ∆r ?
I would expect that the old and new length have 0.01 mm uncertainty each, not the strain itself.
Jahnavi said:
Minimum contribution in ∆Y/Y would be from ∆L/L which makes 1) option correct .
I agree.
Jahnavi said:
Contribution from error in strain would be the sum of 1st and 3rd terms i.e ∆L/L + ∆l/l .

But why would this contribution be maximum ?
How large is 2∆r/r? How does this compare to typical ∆l/l (if you don't happen to measure a rubber band)?

Likes Jahnavi
mfb said:
How large is 2∆r/r? How does this compare to typical ∆l/l

OK . Since r > l and ∆r = ∆l =.01mm , ∆r/r would be much smaller than ∆l/l .

Right ?

Is ∆l (change in increase in length ) comparable to l ( increase in length ) i.e ∆l/l close to being 1 ?

Jahnavi said:
OK . Since r > l and ∆r = ∆l =.01mm , ∆r/r would be much smaller than ∆l/l .

Right ?
Right.
Jahnavi said:
Is ∆l (change in increase in length ) comparable to l ( increase in length ) i.e ∆l/l close to being 1 ?
That will depend on your material.

Likes Jahnavi
OK.

That leaves us with option 2) . What is a figure of merit ? What does it specify ?

That depends on the specific field, here I guess it is the inverse of the relative uncertainty.

Likes Jahnavi
mfb said:
That depends on the specific field, here I guess it is the inverse of the relative uncertainty.

Is the figure of merit comparing L/∆L , r/∆r , l/∆l ?

Of the three ratios , L/∆L is the largest , making option 2) correct .

Right ?

Why is figure of merit defined in the way you have stated ( i.e inverse of relative uncertainty ) ?

Jahnavi said:
Is the figure of merit comparing L/∆L , r/∆r , l/∆l ?

Of the three ratios , L/∆L is the largest , making option 2) correct .

Right ?
That's how I would interpret it.
Jahnavi said:
Why is figure of merit defined in the way you have stated ( i.e inverse of relative uncertainty ) ?
That would be a typical definition, but in general such a figure of merit should be defined explicitly somewhere.

Likes Jahnavi
Thanks !

1. What is Young's modulus and why is it important?

Young's modulus is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material. It is important because it allows us to predict how a material will behave under stress or strain, which is crucial in engineering and material design.

2. How is Young's modulus calculated?

Young's modulus is calculated by dividing the stress applied to a material by the strain it undergoes. This is known as Hooke's Law and is typically represented as E = σ/ε, where E is Young's modulus, σ is stress, and ε is strain.

3. What are the units for Young's modulus?

The SI unit for Young's modulus is pascals (Pa), which is equivalent to newtons per square meter (N/m²). In the imperial system, it is typically measured in pounds per square inch (psi) or megapounds per square inch (MPa).

4. What factors can affect the uncertainty of Young's modulus?

The uncertainty of Young's modulus can be affected by various factors, including the accuracy of the measuring instruments used, the uniformity and purity of the material being tested, and the method and conditions of the test itself.

5. How can we minimize uncertainty in Young's modulus measurements?

To minimize uncertainty in Young's modulus measurements, it is important to use high-quality measuring instruments and ensure that the material being tested is as uniform and pure as possible. Standardized testing methods and controlled testing conditions can also help reduce uncertainty.