Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf

In summary, Young's Modulus is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of a material, and it has been found that the banana leaf has a relatively high Young's Modulus compared to other plant materials. This is due to the strong and fibrous nature of the banana leaf, which allows it to withstand external forces and maintain its shape. Additionally, the Young's Modulus of a banana leaf can vary depending on its age and the specific variety of banana plant it comes from. Understanding the Young's Modulus of a banana leaf can help in the development of new and more durable plant-based materials for various applications.
Buaya
Summary:: What is Young's modulus of banana leaf in MPa?

What is Young's modulus of banana leaf in MPa?

[Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Schoolwork Template is shown]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

Assuming you're serious (for the moment), what research have you done into this? What is the application that you have in mind?

berkeman said:
Welcome to PhysicsForums.

Assuming you're serious (for the moment), what research have you done into this? What is the application that you have in mind?
I am a 2nd-semester student and I have the assignment to calculate the maximum load of banana leaves, I have not mastered how to calculate it, but in my opinion, if I know the young's modulus banana leaves, I will be able to measure the maximum load. Do you know young's modulus from banana leaves? or know other ways to get the maximum load?

Ah, since it's for schoolwork, I'll move the thread to the schoolwork forums for you now.

If it were me, I'd start with a Google search using some directed search terms... :wink:

It is not related to Young's modulus. Young's modulus applies to the stiffness of the leaf, not to the maximum load at failure. You need a failure criterion, and an estimate of the maximum stress at failure. I suggest somehow doing it experimentally.

Chestermiller said:
It is not related to Young's modulus. Young's modulus applies to the stiffness of the leaf, not to the maximum load at failure. You need a failure criterion, and an estimate of the maximum stress at failure. I suggest somehow doing it experimentally.
That could be harder than you think

Here’s a paper on banana fibers
https://www.scirp.org/html/18-2600845_34742.htm
This will give you a maximum strength in the fiber direction. I do not know anything about the distribution of fibers, but I would guess that there is also a weak direction where you are separating the fibers. You will need to find a fiber density and cross sectional area in order to calculate a load.

Last edited:

1. What is Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf?

Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf is a measure of the stiffness or elasticity of the leaf. It is a material property that describes how much a material can stretch or compress under a given amount of force.

2. How is Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf determined?

To determine Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf, a sample of the leaf is subjected to a tensile test. This involves applying a force to the leaf and measuring the resulting strain (change in length) of the leaf. The ratio of stress (force per unit area) to strain gives the value of Young's Modulus.

3. What factors can affect the Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf?

The Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf can be affected by various factors such as the age and maturity of the leaf, the type of banana plant, and the environmental conditions in which the leaf grew. Additionally, the method used to measure Young's Modulus can also impact the results.

4. How does Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf compare to other materials?

Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf is relatively low compared to other materials such as metals and plastics. This is because banana leaves are natural, organic materials and do not have the same structural properties as man-made materials. However, within the category of natural materials, banana leaves have a relatively high Young's Modulus.

5. What are the practical applications of knowing the Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf?

Understanding the Young's Modulus of a Banana leaf can have practical applications in fields such as agriculture and engineering. It can help in the design of structures that use banana leaves as a building material, as well as in determining the strength and durability of banana leaf products such as baskets and mats. It can also aid in the study of plant growth and development.