Your help is appreciated -- Skateboarder on a ramp

• Thread starter meso
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ramp
In summary: It was ##v_f^2##. So substituting back in, you get:$$v_f^2 = 5^2 - 2(9.8)(3 \sin 15)$$ and this is the final answer.
meso
A skateboarder coasts at a constant velocity toward a ramp with a 15° angle, preparing for the big trick jump. If the frictionless ramp is 3m long, and his initial velocity at the base of the ramp is 5 m/s, calculate
a) his final speed at the end of the ramp

Physics news on Phys.org
meso said:
A skateboarder coasts at a constant velocity toward a ramp with a 15° angle, preparing for the big trick jump. If the frictionless ramp is 3m long, and his initial velocity at the base of the ramp is 5 m/s, calculate
a) his final speed at the end of the ramp

Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I've moved your thread to the Homework Help forums, where all schoolwork problems should be posted.

Also, please list the Relevant Equations that you think apply to this problem.

Finally, the problem statement seems incomplete. Is the skateboarder going UP the ramp, or DOWN the ramp? If you are going to use energy considerations to figure out the change in velocity, you need to know the total distance up or down that they travel, and I don't see enough information in your statement to figure that out.

Is there a diagram that goes with this question? You can use the "Attach files" button to add attachments (PDF, JPEG, etc.) to your reply...

92411870_539732903590634_9072940115822641152_n.jpg

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF. :smile:

I've moved your thread to the Homework Help forums, where all schoolwork problems should be posted.

Also, please list the Relevant Equations that you think apply to this problem.

Finally, the problem statement seems incomplete. Is the skateboarder going UP the ramp or DOWN the ramp? If you are going to use energy considerations to figure out the change in velocity, you need to know the total distance up or down that they travel, and I don't see enough information in your statement to figure that out.

Is there a diagram that goes with this question? You can use the "Attach files" button to add attachments (PDF, JPEG, etc.) to your reply...
Thank you so much! My teacher posted this as an assignment question, no further information provided. What I know is that I need to use the gravity force components. This equation might be useful v2^2=v1^2+2ad

The ramp is up or down? Will the skateboarder be going faster or slower at the end of the ramp? Normally the ramp would be down to increase speed, but the word "base" of the ramp for the start implies that the ramp is upward, so the rider would be slowing down going up the ramp, right?

If the ramp goes down, you only need to figure out the vertical drop and use the change in potential energy (PE) between the top and bottom of the ramp to figure out how much kinetic energy (KE) the skateboarder gains, and translate that into the increase in velocity...

meso said:
In your hand-written workings here you have assumed an upward sloping ramp:$$v_f^2 = v_i^2 + 2gh$$ but since we are adopting an upward positive sign convention and since the acceleration of gravity is negative, this is immediately rewritten as:$$v_f^2 = v_i^2 - 2gh$$It is not really kosher to switch sign conventions in midstream like this, but I think I've understood the intent.

You next substitute in the known initial velocity 5 for ##v_i## to obtain:$$v_f^2=5^2-2gh$$ and you substitute in 9.8 for g, and ##3 \sin 15## for h yielding$$v_f^2 = 5^2 - 2(9.8)(3 \sin 15)$$ You evaluate the right hand side obtaining $$9.78$$ but you've missed something important. The left hand side was not ##v_f##.

Likes berkeman

1. How does the skateboarder maintain balance while on a ramp?

The skateboarder maintains balance by shifting their weight and using their feet to steer the board. They also use their arms for balance and to control the board's movements.

2. What type of physics is involved in skateboarding on a ramp?

Skateboarding on a ramp involves principles of both Newton's laws of motion and conservation of energy. The skateboarder's movements and the board's interactions with the ramp are governed by these laws.

3. How does the shape and angle of the ramp affect the skateboarder's performance?

The shape and angle of the ramp can greatly impact the skateboarder's performance. A steeper ramp will allow for higher jumps and faster speeds, while a shallower ramp may be better for performing tricks. The shape of the ramp can also affect the skateboarder's ability to maintain balance and control their movements.

4. What safety precautions should a skateboarder take when using a ramp?

Skateboarders should always wear proper safety gear, such as a helmet and knee pads, when using a ramp. They should also make sure the ramp is in good condition and free of any obstacles. It's also important to start with smaller ramps and gradually work up to larger ones to avoid injury.

5. How does the skateboarder generate enough speed to go up the ramp?

The skateboarder generates speed by pushing off the ground with their foot and using their momentum to propel themselves up the ramp. They may also use their arms to pump and gain more speed. The shape and angle of the ramp can also help to increase speed.