Your Main Reasons Why You Aren't Religious/Spiritual?

• Thread starter Avalon
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of an afterlife and the belief in God. The speaker questions the logic behind believing in something that cannot be proven and suggests alternative explanations, such as an infinite number of universes or a random event, for the creation of the universe. The speaker also questions the effectiveness of ancient religious texts in promoting belief in God. The conversation ends with a reminder to follow the forum's posting guidelines.
Avalon
I am reminded of mine every time I go to sleep: unconsciousness.

I can't believe so many people think they are going to heaven, purgatory, hell, an afterlife etc. when they are reminded every night of "non-experience" and how it is impossible for conscious beings to experience "non-experience". Of course we can't prove what happens after death but c'mon people, there is no use worrying about things that have really, really, really low probabilities.

A few others:

- If this God fellow wanted to tell everyone he existed and to actually get people to know he is there and have faith in him, do you really think ancient pieces of paper were the best way?

- The best and most logical reason people believe in God is because they can't explain what was before the universe. But then again: Who created the creator? Who created the creator's creator? It makes no sense to say that just because we can't explain what created the universe means we should think something created it, which would have to be created by something, which would have to be created by something ad infinitum. It makes more sense to believe in an infinite number of universes, or that our universe just arose from some random event.

Post Away!

Physics news on Phys.org
Avalon said:
I am reminded of mine every time I go to sleep: unconsciousness.

I can't believe so many people think they are going to heaven, purgatory, hell, an afterlife etc. when they are reminded every night of "non-experience" and how it is impossible for conscious beings to experience "non-experience". Of course we can't prove what happens after death but c'mon people, there is no use worrying about things that have really, really, really low probabilities.

A few others:

- If this God fellow wanted to tell everyone he existed and to actually get people to know he is there and have faith in him, do you really think ancient pieces of paper were the best way?

- The best and most logical reason people believe in God is because they can't explain what was before the universe. But then again: Who created the creator? Who created the creator's creator? It makes no sense to say that just because we can't explain what created the universe means we should think something created it, which would have to be created by something, which would have to be created by something ad infinitum. It makes more sense to believe in an infinite number of universes, or that our universe just arose from some random event.

Post Away!

Debates about personal religious beliefs are not allowed.

Please review the posting guidelines.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

Last edited:

I understand the desire to seek logical explanations for the world around us. The concept of consciousness and the afterlife is a complex and deeply personal topic, and I respect your perspective. However, as a scientist, I must also acknowledge that there are many things we cannot fully explain or understand with our current knowledge and technology. The existence of a higher power or afterlife is one of those things. While I cannot prove or disprove these concepts, I also cannot discount them entirely.

I must also caution against making assumptions about the intentions or methods of a higher power, as we simply do not have enough information to make such claims. As for the question of who created the creator, I believe it is important to keep an open mind and continue to seek answers through scientific research and exploration.

Ultimately, everyone has their own beliefs and reasons for them. I encourage critical thinking and open-mindedness, but also respect the personal beliefs and experiences of others.

1. Why did you choose to become a scientist if you are not religious or spiritual?

As a scientist, I am driven by a curiosity and passion for understanding the world and finding evidence-based explanations for natural phenomena. My personal beliefs about religion or spirituality do not impact my ability to conduct research and contribute to the scientific community.

2. Do you believe in any higher power or purpose?

As a scientist, I base my beliefs on empirical evidence and the scientific method. Therefore, I do not hold beliefs in any higher power or purpose, as there is no empirical evidence to support their existence. However, I respect and value the beliefs of others and recognize that everyone has the right to their own beliefs.

3. How do you explain the complexity and beauty of the universe without a higher power?

The complexity and beauty of the universe can be explained through scientific theories and principles such as evolution, the laws of physics, and the big bang theory. These theories do not require a higher power to explain the natural wonders of the universe.

4. Do you think science and religion can coexist?

While some may argue that science and religion are incompatible, I believe that they can coexist. Science seeks to explain the natural world through evidence and reason, while religion focuses on faith and belief. Both have their own ways of understanding and interpreting the world, and it is possible to hold both scientific and religious beliefs simultaneously.

5. What do you think about morality and ethics without religion?

As a scientist, I believe that morality and ethics are evolved traits in human beings, rather than being solely influenced by religion. While some may use religion as a moral compass, morality can also be based on empathy, compassion, and social norms. One's lack of religious beliefs does not equate to a lack of moral values.