Your physics teacher has asked you to build a barometer

In summary, the conversation discusses the task of building a water barometer assigned by a physics teacher. It mentions that the pressure of the atmosphere can vary by 5% and asks for the minimum height of the barometer and the height of the water in it on a specific stormy day. The conversation also clarifies that a barometer measures air pressure by balancing it with the pressure of a column of fluid, and does not require taking a derivative.
Dusty912

Homework Statement

. Your physics teacher has assigned you the task of building a water ba,rometer. You've learned that the pressure of the atmosphere can vary by as much as 5 percent from 1 standard atmosphere as the weather changes. (a) What minimum height must your ba,rometer have? (b) One stormy day the TV weather person says, "The barometer pressure this afternoon is low 29.55 inches." What is the height of the water in your barometer?

Homework Equations

I'm not really sure where to even begin

The Attempt at a Solution

I have none, don't know where to start. There is no mention of a barometer in my textbook.

Physics news on Phys.org
If I say to you, "Inches of mercury," does it ring any bells?

not really. I mean I know that barometers use mercury.

Perhaps do a little browsing/research on the web? There are lots of articles that discuss barometers and how they work. I suspect that the question is asking about a simple sealed-tube barometer (tube sealed at top end, filled with fluid and standing open-end-down in an open container of the same fluid).

okay so how would the atmosphere differing up to 5% be related to the height of the barometer?

would this require taking a derivative?

Dusty912 said:
okay so how would the atmosphere differing up to 5% be related to the height of the barometer?
What holds up the column of fluid in a barometer? What forces (or pressures) are balanced?

Dusty912 said:
would this require taking a derivative?
No. Just some calculations of pressures (air and fluid).

A barometer measures air pressure.
It does so by balancing the air pressure with the pressure exerted by a column of fluid.
When to two pressures are equal the height of the fluid column is an indication of the ambient air pressure.

got it, thanks for the help everyone!

1. What is a barometer?

A barometer is an instrument used to measure atmospheric pressure. It consists of a glass tube filled with mercury, with one end open to the atmosphere and the other end sealed. The changes in atmospheric pressure cause the mercury level in the tube to rise or fall, which can be used to predict changes in weather conditions.

2. Why would a physics teacher ask me to build a barometer?

Building a barometer is a great way to understand the principles of fluid dynamics and pressure, which are important concepts in physics. It also allows students to see the effects of atmospheric pressure on everyday objects and how they can be used to make predictions about weather patterns.

3. What materials do I need to build a barometer?

To build a barometer, you will need a glass tube, mercury, a ruler, a cork, and a small dish or beaker. You may also need some adhesive, such as glue, to secure the cork to the glass tube.

4. Can I use something other than mercury to build a barometer?

Yes, there are alternative materials that can be used to build a barometer, such as water, alcohol, or even air. However, these materials may not provide as accurate readings as mercury, so it is recommended to use mercury if possible.

5. What are some safety precautions I should take when building a barometer?

Mercury is a toxic substance, so it is important to handle it carefully and avoid any contact with skin or ingestion. It is also recommended to work in a well-ventilated area and to dispose of any excess mercury properly. If you are using alternative materials, still be cautious and follow all safety instructions provided by your teacher.