You're welcome! Good luck with your project.

In summary, the poster is looking for a way to limit the rotational motion of a shaft inside a cylinder without using MR fluid or needing electric power. Suggestions include using surface to surface friction or a torque limiter clutch with the output shaft fixed.
snox700
First time poster here, thanks in advance!

I have a project I'm working on, and I'm looking for a way to limit the rotational motion of a shaft inside a cylinder. The cylinder is fixed, and the shaft is spinning inside the cylinder coaxially. Basically, torque will be applied to the shaft, and I need the shaft to not spin relative to the cylinder until a specified torque, then it can "break free" and start to spin.

Anyone have a good idea on how to limit this motion? Surface to surface friction with known COFs and contact area? Hydraulically somehow?

I'd like to do it without the use of anything like MR fluid or needing electric power. Don't know if that's possible, but figured I'd throw it out here for some thought.

Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Like a torque limiter clutch with the output shaft fixed?: https://www.mayr.com/synchronisation/documentations/img_402_v09_en_22_05_2018.pdf

jrmichler said:
Like a torque limiter clutch with the output shaft fixed?: https://www.mayr.com/synchronisation/documentations/img_402_v09_en_22_05_2018.pdf

Ah, yup. Something just like that is what (I think) I'm after. Thanks!

1. What does "You're welcome! Good luck with your project." mean?

The phrase "You're welcome! Good luck with your project." is a polite response to someone thanking you for something. It also expresses a wish for success in their project.

2. Who would typically say "You're welcome! Good luck with your project."?

This phrase is commonly used by people who have helped or assisted someone with a project or task. It can also be used by colleagues, friends, or family members wishing someone luck in their endeavors.

3. Is "You're welcome! Good luck with your project." a formal or informal expression?

This phrase can be used in both formal and informal situations. It is a polite and friendly response that can be used in a variety of contexts.

4. What is the significance of wishing someone "good luck" in their project?

Wishing someone "good luck" in their project is a way to show support and encouragement. It acknowledges the effort and hard work that goes into a project and expresses a desire for a positive outcome.

5. Can "You're welcome! Good luck with your project." be used in other contexts?

Yes, this phrase can be used in other contexts as well. It can be used to express good wishes for someone's future plans, goals, or endeavors. It can also be used as a general expression of goodwill and kindness.