Group Theory book for Undergraduates

In summary, the conversation discusses recommendations for good books to learn group theory at an undergraduate level. One person suggests A. Zee's "Group Theory in a Nutshell" as a well-written textbook, while the other person recommends Wu Ki Tung's "Group Theory in Physics" as their preferred choice for preparation in quantum mechanics, quantum field theory, and particle physics. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the recommendation and mentioning their positive experience with Zee's book on relativity.
Joker93
Hello,
what are some good books to learn group theory for physicists at an undergraduate level?
Is Zee's Group Theory in a Nutshell good?
Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
That A. Zee is a well versed and talented writer of textbooks is of no doubt. Maybe his brand new book on group theory is even better that the other 2 he wrote (on QFT and GR). If I were to choose the group theory book for my preparation for QM/QFT/Particle Physics, I'd pick the old book by Wu Ki Tung. "Group Theory in Physics", World Scientific, 1985.

dextercioby said:
That A. Zee is a well versed and talented writer of textbooks is of no doubt. Maybe his brand new book on group theory is even better that the other 2 he wrote (on QFT and GR). If I were to choose the group theory book for my preparation for QM/QFT/Particle Physics, I'd pick the old book by Wu Ki Tung. "Group Theory in Physics", World Scientific, 1985.
Thanks for the recommendation!
I have only read a chapter from Zee's book on Relativity and found it to be really good. That's why I am asking about his new book.

Related to Group Theory book for Undergraduates

1. What is Group Theory?

Group Theory is a branch of mathematics that studies the algebraic structures known as groups. It deals with the properties and relationships of groups, which are sets of elements that follow specific operations and axioms.

2. Is Group Theory only applicable to mathematics?

No, Group Theory has many applications in physics, chemistry, computer science, and even music. It is a fundamental concept in many areas of science and has been used to solve various problems and develop new theories.

3. What is the level of difficulty for a Group Theory book for undergraduates?

The level of difficulty for a Group Theory book for undergraduates can vary, depending on the specific book and the level of mathematical background of the reader. However, most undergraduate Group Theory books are designed to be accessible for students with a basic understanding of algebra and calculus.

4. Can Group Theory be self-taught?

Yes, Group Theory can be self-taught, but it is recommended to have a strong foundation in algebra and calculus before attempting to learn it independently. It is also helpful to have access to resources such as textbooks, online lectures, and practice problems.

5. What are the real-world applications of Group Theory?

Group Theory has various real-world applications, including cryptography, particle physics, crystallography, and symmetry analysis in chemistry and biology. It is also used in computer science for coding and error correction algorithms.