Zeeman effect sign of circular polarization

In summary, in the Zeeman effect spectrum, the CCW polarized emission is higher in energy than the CW polarized emission due to the direction of the uniform magnetic field. This is determined by the energy level equation, which shows that the ##\sigma^+## line has a higher frequency than the ##\sigma^-## line due to the transition with a smaller ##\Delta m_l## value.
Khashishi
Science Advisor
I'm unsure about the sign of the circular polarization.
Assume the magnetic field is pointed toward the observer.
In the Zeeman effect spectrum, is the CCW polarized emission at higher or lower wavelength than the CW polarized emission.

I think the CCW polarized emission is higher, and this is reversed if we change the direction of the magnetic field.

Physics news on Phys.org
In the picture below ##\sigma^-## line has higher energy than ##\sigma^+##.

Attachments

• Zeeman effect longitudinal.png
    Zeeman effect longitudinal.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 596
I don't see any indication of energy or direction of magnetic field in that picture.

Sorry I forgot to mention that the field is uniform pointing in the positive z direction.
The explanation about the energy is given in the text, there I took the snapshot of the picture only. In the presence of uniform magnetic field the energy level is given by
$$
E = E_n +\mu_B B_z(m_l+2m_s)
$$
The frequency corresponding to down-transition ##n\to n'## is then ##\nu = (E-E')/\hbar = \frac{E_n-E_{n'}}{\hbar} - \frac{\mu_B B_z}{\hbar}(m_{l'}-m_l) = \nu_{nn'} - \frac{\mu_B B_z}{\hbar}\Delta m_l## where ##E>E'## and ##\Delta m_l = m_{l'}-m_l##. The ##\sigma^+## line which is defined to be the transition with ##\Delta m_l = -1## hence has higher frequency than ##\sigma^-## line which is defined by ##\Delta m_l = 1##.

Likes Khashishi

What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is the splitting of spectral lines of atoms when they are subjected to a magnetic field. This effect was first observed by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman in 1896.

What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization refers to the polarization of electromagnetic waves in which the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion as the wave travels. This is in contrast to linear polarization, where the electric field vector only oscillates in one direction.

What is the sign of circular polarization in the Zeeman effect?

The sign of circular polarization in the Zeeman effect refers to the direction of rotation of the electric field vector. When the Zeeman effect is observed, the spectral lines will split into two components, one with clockwise circular polarization and the other with counterclockwise circular polarization.

How is the sign of circular polarization in the Zeeman effect determined?

The sign of circular polarization in the Zeeman effect is determined by the direction of the magnetic field. If the magnetic field is directed towards the observer, the clockwise component will appear on the right side of the spectral line, while the counterclockwise component will appear on the left side. If the magnetic field is directed away from the observer, the opposite will occur.

Why is the sign of circular polarization important in the study of the Zeeman effect?

The sign of circular polarization is important because it can provide information about the direction and strength of the magnetic field that is causing the Zeeman effect. By analyzing the spectral lines and their circular polarization components, scientists can better understand the properties and behavior of atoms in a magnetic field.