Zeeman effect, something I'm not understanding, about history

In summary, the normal Zeeman effect is when the energy splitting between emission and absorption lines is worth Delta E. The spin discovery made people realize that the splitting was actually worth twice as much, as the spin effects actually canceled out.
fluidistic
Gold Member
With the normal Zeeman effect, I think the splitting of the emission/absorbtion lines is worth [itex]\Delta E = \mu _B B m_l[/itex]. That was before they knew about the spin.
When they discovered the spin they realized that in fact the energy splitting was worth [itex]\Delta E =g_l \mu _B B m_l[/itex] where [itex]g_l=1+\frac{j(j+1)+s(s+1)-l(l+1)}{2j(j+1)}[/itex].
Now for example if I take the hydrogen atom in its ground state, [itex]g_l=2[/itex]. So that the [itex]\Delta E[/itex] is twice as big as what they thought it was before the understanding of the spin.
How could they think that their formula before the spin introduction was "ok"? I mean a factor 2 looks enormous to me. Am I missing something?
Besides, why should one use the formula for the normal Zeeman effect in -undergraduate physics- problems while it doesn't seem (at least to me) give any value close to the real ones? I feel like I'm really missing something.
Can someone shed some light on this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Not knowing anything about spin at first, people tried to predict the Zeeman effect by using only the orbital angular momentum, and came up with your first equation. Sometimes this prediction actually agrees with experiment, and this was called the "normal Zeeman effect." Sometimes (usually, in fact!) it doesn't agree with experiment. This was called the "anomalous Zeeman effect," and people looked for ways to explain it.

Then spin was discovered, people re-did the Zeeman effect prediction taking spin into account, and got your second formula. This prediction does agree with the observed "anomalous Zeeman effect."

It turns out, as I recall, that the "normal Zeeman effect" is actually something of an exceptional situation in which the spin effects fortuitously cancel out in some multi-electron atoms. So the "normal Zeeman effect" is really anomalous, and the "anomalous Zeeman effect" is really normal. :biggrin:

Ah ok... also I think I made a mistake in the second formula. It's [itex]m_j[/itex] instead of [itex]m_l[/itex]. And for the hydrogen atom in ground state, [itex]m_j=m_s[/itex] which can be either -1/2 or 1/2.
So what I originally thought was a factor 2 is in fact a factor 1. In other words the normal and anomalous Zeeman effect are the same... well I think so, if I applied the good formulae. So I am in one of these situations you describe.
Thanks.

1. What is the Zeeman effect?

The Zeeman effect is a phenomenon observed in the presence of a magnetic field where spectral lines of an atom or molecule are split into multiple components. This splitting is caused by the interaction between the magnetic field and the magnetic dipole moment of the atom or molecule.

2. How was the Zeeman effect discovered?

The Zeeman effect was first observed in 1896 by Dutch physicist Pieter Zeeman. He noticed that when light from a heated source was passed through a strong magnetic field, the spectral lines were split into multiple components. This discovery was a crucial step in understanding the nature of atoms and their interaction with electromagnetic fields.

3. What is the significance of the Zeeman effect in modern physics?

The Zeeman effect has played a crucial role in many areas of modern physics, including quantum mechanics and astrophysics. It has helped scientists gain a better understanding of the structure of atoms and the behavior of electrons in a magnetic field. It is also used in many modern technologies, such as MRI machines and atomic clocks.

4. Can the Zeeman effect be observed in everyday life?

While the Zeeman effect is not directly observable in everyday life, its consequences can be seen in many natural phenomena. For example, the split colors in a rainbow are a result of the Zeeman effect, as the different colors of light are diffracted at slightly different angles due to their different magnetic dipole moments.

5. Was the Zeeman effect known in ancient history?

No, the Zeeman effect was not known in ancient history. It was not until the late 19th century that scientists had the necessary tools and knowledge to observe and understand this phenomenon. However, the concept of magnetism and its effects has been studied and understood since ancient times, with the earliest records dating back to the 6th century BC in China.