Zeeman Effect: Splitting of Lyman-α Wavelength

In summary, when the Lyman-α line (n = 2 → n = 1) has a wavelength of 121.6nm in the absence of a magnetic field, when B = 1 Tesla, the wavelength will split into two lines with wavelengths of 121.6 ± 0.0007 nm. This is due to the Zeeman effect, which causes a splitting of energy levels in the presence of a magnetic field. The splitting is determined by the magnetic quantum number, with transitions from m_l=±1 to m_l=0 and m_l=0 to m_l=0 being allowed. Further research is needed to determine if there is any splitting due to the spin magnetic quantum number.
Taylor_1989

Homework Statement

The Lyman-α line (n = 2 → n = 1) has a wavelength of 121.6nm in the absence of a magnetic field.
When B = 1 Tesla, into how many wavelengths will this split and what are their wavelengths?

(You may need the values
μ B = 9.274 × 10 −24 J/T, h̄ = 1.054 × 10 −34 Js and c = 2.998 × 10 8 m/s.)

Homework Equations

##\Delta E=\mu _B\cdot B\cdot m##

The Attempt at a Solution

Have I done this correctly in my lecture note they use Taylor series which I understand but I have use the derivative method as follows:

$$E=\frac{hc}{\lambda }$$

$$\Delta E=\frac{hc\Delta \lambda }{\lambda ^2}$$

$$\Delta \:\lambda =\:\frac{\mu _B\cdot B\cdot m\cdot \lambda ^2}{hc}$$

subbing in the values

$$\Delta \:\lambda =\:\frac{\left(9.274\cdot 10^{-24}\right)\left(1\right)\left(1\right)\left(121.6\cdot 10^{-9}\right)^2}{\left(6.626\cdot 10^{-34}\right)\left(3\cdot 10^8\right)}=6.89\cdot 10^{-13}m$$

so then my final answer is

$$\lambda \pm \Delta\lambda=121.6 \pm 0.0007 nm$$

is there an advantage to using the Taylor series approach?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Why did you switch the exponent in ## \mu_B ## from ## 10^{-24} ## to ## 10^{-27} ##? ## \\ ## I think ## 10^{-24} ## is correct, and you introduced a ## 10^{-3} ## error. ## \\ ## And your Taylor series does work very well. (It actually carries the name that you chose on PF). :)

Charles Link said:
Why did you switch the exponent in ## \mu_B ## from ## 10^{-24} ## to ## 10^{-27} ##? ## \\ ## I think ## 10^{-24} ## is correct, and you introduced a ## 10^{-3} ## error. ## \\ ## And your Taylor series does work very well. (It actually carries the name that you chose on PF). :)

Sorry I have edited it, when I do latex quickly I tend to mistake thing sorry.

And you need to square ## \lambda ##. Clearly a "typo".

I have squared ##\lambda## have I not? is what I have done method wise correct?

Likes Charles Link
Taylor_1989 said:
I have squared ##\lambda## have I not? is what I have done method wise correct?
I checked the arithmetic quickly=I get about ## .7 \cdot 10^{-12}## m=.0007 nm . I'll recheck the arithmetic, but that's what I got. (I'm working without a calculator). ## \\ ## Edit: Your answer looks correct ! :) ## \\ ## Additional item: You get ## m_l=\pm 1, n=2 ## going to ## m_l=0, n=1 ##, accounting for the splitting. I think you can also get ## m_l=0, n=2 ##, going to ## m_l=0, n=1 ##. How many spectral lines does that give? One question that would take additional research is if there is any ## m_s ## splitting. It could be worthwhile to google the Zeeman effect in hydrogen. ## \\ ## And you are on the right track, but it appears this one gets slightly complicated. See https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Zeeman_Effect/5:_Zeeman_Effect_in_Hydrogen_atom (Some of the detail is hard to read in this "link"). This one is ## n=3 ## to ## n=2 ##, but may also be helpful. https://www.scribd.com/document/262518364/Zeeman-Effect-in-Hydrogen ## \\ ## See also: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/zeeman.html ## \\ ## And here's what may be the best, and most applicable of the bunch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeman_effect#Example:_Lyman_alpha_transition_in_hydrogen It looks like it gets a little complicated sorting out the different allowed transitions, as well as perhaps determining since you have a relatively strong magnetic field, that some of the fine structure that occurs might be considered to be the same spectral line, even though there may be additional fine splittings.

Last edited:
Charles Link said:
And you need to square ## \lambda ##. Clearly a "typo".

Charles Link said:
I checked the arithmetic quickly=I get about ## .7 \cdot 10^{-12}## m=.0007 nm . I'll recheck the arithmetic, but that's what I got. (I'm working without a calculator). ## \\ ## Edit: Your answer looks correct ! :) ## \\ ## Additional item: You get ## m_l=\pm 1, n=2 ## going to ## m_l=0, n=1 ##, accounting for the splitting. I think you can also get ## m_l=0, n=2 ##, going to ## m_l=0, n=1 ##. How many spectral lines does that give? One question that would take additional research is if there is any ## m_s ## splitting. It could be worthwhile to google the Zeeman effect in hydrogen. ## \\ ## And you are on the right track, but it appears this one gets slightly complicated. See https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry/Quantum_Mechanics/Zeeman_Effect/5:_Zeeman_Effect_in_Hydrogen_atom (Some of the detail is hard to read in this "link"). This one is ## n=3 ## to ## n=2 ##, but may also be helpful. https://www.scribd.com/document/262518364/Zeeman-Effect-in-Hydrogen ## \\ ## See also: http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/quantum/zeeman.html ## \\ ## And here's what may be the best, and most applicable of the bunch: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zeeman_effect#Example:_Lyman_alpha_transition_in_hydrogen It looks like it gets a little complicated sorting out the different allowed transitions, as well as perhaps determining since you have a relatively strong magnetic field, that some of the fine structure that occurs might be considered to be the same spectral line, even though there may be additional fine splittings.

Thank you very much, and I will start reading the information you link now, much apprecatied :)

Likes Charles Link

1. What is the Zeeman Effect?

The Zeeman Effect is a phenomenon observed when an atom or molecule is exposed to a magnetic field. It causes the spectral lines of the atom or molecule to split into multiple components, known as the Zeeman effect.

2. What is the significance of the Zeeman Effect?

The Zeeman Effect is significant because it provides important information about the magnetic properties of atoms and molecules. By studying the splitting of spectral lines, scientists can determine the strength of the magnetic field and the quantum state of the atom or molecule.

3. How does the Zeeman Effect affect the Lyman-α wavelength?

The Zeeman Effect causes the Lyman-α wavelength to split into multiple components due to the presence of a magnetic field. The number and spacing of the components depend on the strength of the magnetic field and the quantum state of the atom or molecule.

4. What is the relationship between the Zeeman Effect and atomic energy levels?

The Zeeman Effect is directly related to the energy levels of atoms. The splitting of spectral lines in the Zeeman Effect occurs because the magnetic field interacts with the energy levels of the atom, causing them to shift and split into multiple components.

5. How is the Zeeman Effect used in scientific research?

The Zeeman Effect is used in a variety of scientific research, including astrophysics, quantum mechanics, and materials science. It is particularly helpful in studying the magnetic properties of atoms, molecules, and materials, as well as understanding the behavior of electrons in different energy states.