Zero turn radius without using swivel casters

In summary, the wheel would allow for a near zero radius turn on the push mower, but would require replacing only the front wheels.
troop231
I'm not sure if this question fits here, but I've had trouble finding a good simple physics forum, so I signed up here :)

I'm trying to think if the below wheel (image below) could allow for my push mower to have a zero or near zero turn radius. The edges of the wheel contour up (from the ground upwards), which should bend the blades of grass over and allow the wheel to glide over them (theoretically). The contact point of the wheel is in the middle due to the contoured edges. I would like to use this wheel instead of a swivel caster as it would still allow the mower to track straight much better than using a swivel caster. Also it would bolt right on with no extensive mods that the swivel caster would require.

Am I thinking right? If there is any risk of tearing the grass (scalping) I will abandon this idea. These are called anti-scalp wheels however.

I appreciate your feedback.

zwrL9mg.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
It would help if you could identify the make and model of your mower.
Can you post us a web link that shows the caster geometry?

Thank you, here is my mower: (standard 20" cut)
A5JExit.jpg

Also I said I don't want to use casters in my original post. The wheel in my first post would bolt right up to the stock axles. My question is, would this style of wheel (contoured edges) simulate zero turning due to the smooth plastic and shape. I don't want it to drag and pull the grass like the stock mower wheels.

That mower is designed to be turned by pressing down on the handle to reduce the load on the front wheels, then rotating the mower about some point on the axis of the rear axle.
I would consider replacing only the front wheels with the spherical wheels you have identified.

Baluncore said:
That mower is designed to be turned by pressing down on the handle to reduce the load on the front wheels, then rotating the mower about some point on the axis of the rear axle.
I would consider replacing only the front wheels with the spherical wheels you have identified.

I know that. I thought my question was pretty clear. I'm wanting to avoid pushing down on the handle bar and simply rotate the mower instead, hence my post. What I'm more insterested in is the mechanics behind this to see if this is a solid idea. Also, it was my intention of only doing the front wheels that way..

Thank you :)

I cannot see how you can possibly get the “Zero turn radius” mentioned in your title by only replacing the front wheels. The two fixed rear wheels set the centre of rotation to be on their common axis and not under the centre of the mower.

Baluncore said:
I cannot see how you can possibly get the “Zero turn radius” mentioned in your title by only replacing the front wheels. The two fixed rear wheels set the centre of rotation to be on their common axis and not under the centre of the mower.

Same principle as these mowers: (which is classified as zero turn by the way) Two fixed rear wheels that can move independently from each other (like a push mower) and two front wheels that can either swivel (like the below picture) or a spherical wheel like I proposed which would use sliding friction to recreate the 'zero turn'
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/Zs/zero-turn-mowers-04-0513-lgn.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, that shows a spherical wheel being used to set the level of the "mower deck", independent of the ride on frame's casters.
Can you not just copy that?

I understand that you think the wheel will «float» on the grass while moving sideways because of the round shape. That may be the case, I couldn't tell. It's probably safe to assume that it will do less damage than a «right angle» wheel. But two comments I want to say to help you in your reflexion.

First, the wheel is called «anti-scalp» because its purpose is to allow the deck of mower (as shown in the picture you posted in post #7) to pivot over a hill or bump to help avoid scalping. The wheel should be slightly lower than the deck so that when the deck approaches the hill the wheel makes contact with the hill first. The wheel then lifts the deck up and over the hill. The scalping it prevents is done by the deck, not the wheel.

Second, if what you propose was effective - as simple as you presented it - then why aren't the mower fitted with these wheels in the first place? The companies that build them are generally not that incompetent.

But enough with the complaints, here is an idea you might like: Omni wheels.

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100mm-Double-Plastic-Omni-Wheel-basic-W049/512426_572721516.html , it works similar to this:

You might even look at the possibility of http://www.omnitrack.us/omnicaster/omnicaster-ball-castors-OC30-35-i.php.

jack action said:
http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/100mm-Double-Plastic-Omni-Wheel-basic-W049/512426_572721516.html , it works similar to this:
You might even look at the possibility of http://www.omnitrack.us/omnicaster/omnicaster-ball-castors-OC30-35-i.php.

I tried 8" omni wheels last week and they failed miserably in grass due to the rollers being too small, so I'll be returning them. That is why I proposed the spherical (anti-scalp) shaped wheel. Using casters is a last resort as I want to take up less space and a 6-7" caster would require a large envelope for it to work in, thereby reducing the ability to mow up close to objects.

Related to Zero turn radius without using swivel casters

1. What is a zero turn radius without using swivel casters?

A zero turn radius without using swivel casters refers to a type of maneuverability in which a vehicle can make a complete turn without moving forward or backward. This can be achieved through the use of fixed casters or other steering mechanisms.

2. What are the advantages of a zero turn radius without using swivel casters?

One major advantage of a zero turn radius without using swivel casters is increased stability. Since the casters are fixed, there is less risk of the vehicle tipping over or losing control. It also allows for tighter turns and more precise maneuvering in small spaces.

3. How does a zero turn radius without using swivel casters work?

The exact mechanism for achieving a zero turn radius without swivel casters can vary depending on the specific design. However, it typically involves using a combination of fixed casters and steering mechanisms to allow for independent control of each wheel. This allows for the wheels on one side of the vehicle to rotate at a different speed than the other side, resulting in a zero turn radius.

4. What types of vehicles use a zero turn radius without using swivel casters?

A zero turn radius without using swivel casters is commonly used in commercial and industrial vehicles, such as forklifts, scissor lifts, and other types of material handling equipment. It can also be found in some lawn mowers and other smaller personal vehicles.

5. Are there any limitations to a zero turn radius without using swivel casters?

While a zero turn radius without using swivel casters offers many benefits, there are some limitations to consider. This type of maneuverability may not be suitable for all types of terrain and may require more maintenance due to the complexity of the steering mechanisms. It also typically requires more skill and training to operate effectively.