Tangential Acceleration and Coefficient of static friction

In summary, you need to find something that has the forces of a net force, a normal force, and work in it.
Pureness

Homework Statement

There's a ride called the Cajun Cliffhanger. it's a rotating drum that rotates and makes you stick to the walls. here's are the infomation

The diameter is 5.3m
the speed is 4.2 seconds per rotation at final speed
it takes 10.1 seconds to reach the final speed
You have to find out

Your average tangential acceleration before final speed is reached
the value of the coefficient of static friction between your clothing and the drum wall

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Pureness said:

Homework Statement

There's a ride called the Cajun Cliffhanger. it's a rotating drum that rotates and makes you stick to the walls. here's are the infomation

The diameter is 5.3m
the speed is 4.2 seconds per rotation at final speed
it takes 10.1 seconds to reach the final speed
You have to find out

Your average tangential acceleration before final speed is reached
the value of the coefficient of static friction between your clothing and the drum wall

Welcome to PF.

What are your thoughts on how to approach it?

What kind of forces do you think will need to be generated to satisfy the problem?

well i found out the final velocity is 1.5 m/s
I think the acceleration at final speed is 0.1m/s2 which i got by using a=(vf-vi)/t which is 1.5m/s/10.1 seconds=0.1m/s2

Pureness said:
well i found out the final velocity is 1.5 m/s
I think the acceleration at final speed is 0.1m/s2 which i got by using a=(vf-vi)/t which is 1.5m/s/10.1 seconds=0.1m/s2

Looks to me like

ω = 2*π/ T = 6.283 / 4.1

V = ω *r

so ...

a = V / T = 6.283 * r / (4.1 * 10.1)

Knowing V you can figure the centripetal acceleration and the force available to determine the friction coefficient required.

is there a formula or equation for centripetal acceleration?

ok thanks for that. i have another part of the question also. it says what is your average tangential acceleration before the final speed is reached. how do i find that

thanks. i got another qustion though
can you think of something that can be measured that has these forces in it?
1) a net force
2) a normal force
3) work
4) power

still need help

Pureness said:
thanks. i got another qustion though
can you think of something that can be measured that has these forces in it?
1) a net force
2) a normal force
3) work
4) power
A block sliding down a ramp...

Something tells me you might want to be more specific about what you're asking.

1. What is tangential acceleration?

Tangential acceleration is the measure of how quickly the tangential velocity of an object changes. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is tangential acceleration calculated?

Tangential acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in tangential velocity by the change in time. This can be represented by the formula a = (Δv/Δt), where a is the tangential acceleration, Δv is the change in tangential velocity, and Δt is the change in time.

3. What is the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction is a dimensionless value that represents the amount of friction between two surfaces when there is no relative motion between them. It is typically denoted by the symbol μs and its value varies depending on the materials and surfaces in contact.

4. How is the coefficient of static friction determined?

The coefficient of static friction is determined through experiments where the force required to start an object's motion on a particular surface is measured and divided by the normal force (the force exerted by the surface on the object). The resulting value is the coefficient of static friction for that particular surface and object.

5. How does the coefficient of static friction affect tangential acceleration?

The coefficient of static friction plays a crucial role in determining the maximum tangential acceleration that an object can experience before it starts to slip. The higher the coefficient of static friction, the greater the force of friction between the object and the surface, and the higher the tangential acceleration that can be achieved before slipping occurs.