Apache helicopter fires on crowd

In summary: As the Americans withdrew, jubilant fighters and young boys swarmed around the burning vehicle. Several young men placed a black banner of al-Qaeda-backed Tawhid and Jihad, led by terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in the barrel of the Bradley's main gun.
Adam
This was on our news this evening. They showed film of a US Apache helicopter firing on a crowd of civilians. Since a news cerw was right there, we saw the reporter get hit and die right in front of the camera, just as others around him also died.

Most of the young Iraqi men and boys mingling around the burning wreckage of a US armoured car in Baghdad were unfazed by the clattering of an American helicopter gunship overhead. Moments later they were under fire.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/9BE69E7B-058D-404F-81CB-43816BA7A5F0.htm

Also: http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/19287CF7-A5CE-4D8F-988B-F3CB37B6F1FF.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Not a good idea to interfere with combat troops in combat. Those people chose to give up their "civilian" status and died for it. They took their chances and paid the consequences.

Good grief. It's the fault of civilians when they get shot by military aircraft, when they're in their own civilian cities?

So if I was flying around in New York, and had my tanks occupying the ground, and troops everywhere, would it be the fault of the civilians there if I dropped a few cluster bombs?

Adam said:
Good grief. It's the fault of civilians when they get shot by military aircraft, when they're in their own civilian cities?

So if I was flying around in New York, and had my tanks occupying the ground, and troops everywhere, would it be the fault of the civilians there if I dropped a few cluster bombs?
making gross abstract comparisons doesn't make you any more right (less wrong)

How did the armored car get destroyed? Why were "civialians" on top of it and around it celebrating its destruction? It was still burning, so how long ago was it attacked? Were American troops killed in its destruction?
Also, did anyone read many died? I couldn't find it anywhere though they said people died. (im not trying to be sarcastic, i actually want to know)

russ_watters said:
Not a good idea to interfere with combat troops in combat. Those people chose to give up their "civilian" status and died for it. They took their chances and paid the consequences.

Absolute rubbish, if Gehngis Khan was in the US ar,my I'm sure you'd manage to come up with some excuse. In fact only by being actively involved in hostilites do you give up your 'civilian statu's, besides which there were no American troops in the immediate vicinty fo them to 'interfere' with, the personel carrier had been abandoned.

Healey01 said:
How did the armored car get destroyed? Why were "civialians" on top of it and around it celebrating its destruction? It was still burning, so how long ago was it attacked? Were American troops killed in its destruction?
Also, did anyone read many died? I couldn't find it anywhere though they said people died. (im not trying to be sarcastic, i actually want to know)

Which is it?

Adam said:
Which is it?
you think those two are mutually exclusive?

Certainly, if the civilians were celebrating, as Healey said.

Major Phil Smith, a spokesman for the 1st Cavalry Division, said the helicopter fired to try to destroy the burning vehicle "for the safety of the people around it".
Now that's funny.

As the Americans withdrew, jubilant fighters and young boys swarmed around the burning vehicle. Several young men placed a black banner of al-Qaeda-backed Tawhid and Jihad, led by terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in the barrel of the Bradley's main gun.

That's not.

Artman said:
That's not.

The incident was captured on TV, despite the prescence of some fighters the crowd was still mostly civilians and no-one in it posed any therat to any American forces. Completely unjustifed, if this was one of the other coalstion forces you can bet that the personal responsible would be court-martialed, but I just can't see thta happening in this case.

Adam said:
Certainly, if the civilians were celebrating, as Healey said.

I do so tire of these games:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040912/capt.bag11109120645.iraq_blasts_bag111.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040912/capt.bag10909120630.iraq_blasts_bag109.jpg

On fire, celbrating on top.

Adam said:
Since a news cerw was right there, we saw the reporter get hit and die right in front of the camera, just as others around him also died.

The death of the journalist is tragic indeed, but he probably knew the full risks associated with his job in his area.

As the Americans withdrew, jubilant fighters and young boys swarmed around the burning vehicle. Several young men placed a black banner of al-Qaeda-backed Tawhid and Jihad, led by terror mastermind Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, in the barrel of the Bradley's main gun.

Don't the terrorists know that its standard U.S. policy to destroy damaged American vehicles that cannot be recovered so as to keep it out of the hands of the enemy? Sounds like they walked right into it.

I wonder if their embedded reporter had to sign a release like ours did...

Do they have any brains at all? I am astounded that anyone would be so stupid as to stand on top of a burning military vehicle.

I think one of the biggest problems we face are the hordes of morons we encounter who have no respect or understanding of the dangers of war.

Oh, they understand. That was a great photo op, either way it becomes useful. Showing the Mighty Sadre's foriegn fighters dancing on the burning american vehicle triumphantly or showing the poor dumb iraqi's being destroyed by the evil americans. It's all good copy and feed for the Propaganda machine.

jcsd said:
The incident was captured on TV, despite the prescence of some fighters the crowd was still mostly civilians and no-one in it posed any therat to any American forces. Completely unjustifed, if this was one of the other coalstion forces you can bet that the personal responsible would be court-martialed, but I just can't see thta happening in this case.
What does a terrorist look like? They look pretty much like any civilian, except maybe when they ae carrying a flag that indicates they are part of a terrorist organization and dancing on top of a burning USA military vehicle, then they look a lot more like terrorists.

The incident should be investigated before we suggest a court martial.

Oh, jeez, you will defend the actions of those on "your side" at any cost. Just because you don't like what they were doing (celebrating on top of the vehicle, etc.) does no make killing them by firing (apparently indiscriminately) into a crowd justified.

Dissident Dan said:
Oh, jeez, you will defend the actions of those on "your side" at any cost. Just because you don't like what they were doing (celebrating on top of the vehicle, etc.) does no make killing them by firing (apparently indiscriminately) into a crowd justified.

I think that saying there is need for more info before calling for a court martial is fully justified.

Just a few posts ago I was told that the people weren't celebrating on top of the burning vehicle.

Dissident Dan said:
Come on Dan, I said investigate the incident.

I also don't care for slanted reporting. Where was the mention of the flag and the celebration in the first report? Where was the mention of militant action in the city in the first report?

motai said:
The death of the journalist is tragic indeed, but he probably knew the full risks associated with his job in his area.
So it's ok that an Apache fired on a crowd of civilians?

Don't the terrorists know that its standard U.S. policy to destroy damaged American vehicles that cannot be recovered so as to keep it out of the hands of the enemy? Sounds like they walked right into it.
So those civilians should know US military protocols?

phatmonky said:
I do so tire of these games:
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040912/capt.bag11109120645.iraq_blasts_bag111.jpg
http://us.news2.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/p/ap/20040912/capt.bag10909120630.iraq_blasts_bag109.jpg

On fire, celbrating on top.

Wow, you were right for once. Congratulations. There was a kid standing on the non-burning side as the fire began on the far side.

JohnDubYa said:
Do they have any brains at all? I am astounded that anyone would be so stupid as to stand on top of a burning military vehicle.
Yes, it is indeed rather stupid.

I think one of the biggest problems we face are the hordes of morons we encounter who have no respect or understanding of the dangers of war.
Especially in their own front yards.

I see that as a very disrespectful statement. We invaded their country with no authority or pretenses whatsoever, and bombed the living sh*t out of it. We have now resorted to attacking civilians who celebrate in manners we don't find appropriate (freedom in the general sense for the Iraqi people, doesn't involve freedom of speech I take it,) and now you call the deceased morons, because they don't understand "the dangers of war"? Do you understand the dangers of war as you sit comfortably in you cushy seat? There is no class or seminar on it, so enlighten us, please. Perhaps a pamphlet entitled "The Dangers of War" would be appropriate. Here, i'll help with getting started; Rule 1 would read:

Rule 1: If you celebrate openly in a jovial manner near damaged US vehicles, you will be killed immeadiatly.

Get used to it Gza. Many users of this forum have no respect for human life whatsoever, but desire only to prop up their patriotism.

Gza said:
1>I see that as a very disrespectful statement. We invaded their country with no authority or pretenses whatsoever,
2>and bombed the living sh*t out of it.
3>We have now resorted to attacking civilians who celebrate in manners we don't find appropriate (freedom in the general sense for the Iraqi people, doesn't involve freedom of speech I take it,)
4>and now you call the deceased morons, because they don't understand "the dangers of war"?
5>Do you understand the dangers of war as you sit comfortably in you cushy seat?
6> There is no class or seminar on it, so enlighten us, please.
7>Perhaps a pamphlet entitled "The Dangers of War" would be appropriate. Here, i'll help with getting started; Rule 1 would read:

Rule 1: If you celebrate openly in a jovial manner near damaged US vehicles, you will be killed immeadiatly.

1>Stop pushing that lie.
2>And it was an incredibly skilled bombing. While it is obviously no consolation to those who have died, or have had family that died, this war dropped more bombs than the entire gulf war I in the first few days, with far fewer civilian casualties from.
3>Or perhaps you will read the statement where the apach took small arms fire, instead of jumping on the bandwagon.
4>I don't know about you, but I would be as far away from anythign with a gun as I could be. They were morons, and the same goes for the wedding parties who continue shooting the air (stupid anyways, really stupid in a war zone)
5>I do. You can die,be severely mamed, or have psychological disorders. There's not much more to it than that. (caveat: you asked if I knew the DANGERS of war)
6>See #5
7>Especially if you fire back. Getting near a vehicle or person that was just BOMBED is probably not the most intelligent move.

Once again, you don't even know the facts to the entire scenario, but you just start spouting half-truths (if that)

Hmm, tragic. I am wondering why there's a thread about this tho. It indicates a great lack of respect for human life when you only post such stories when it involves americans.
There have been dozens upon dozens upon dozens of horrific blasts where Iraqi civilians are the victim, and theyre usually perpetrated by the ppl dancing on this vehicle. I mean, they ARE carrying the enemy flag arent they? And these "civilians" have an eerie resemblance to the civilians that dismembered , burned and hung on a bridge the remains of a group of americans.

jcsd said:
In fact only by being actively involved in hostilites do you give up your 'civilian statu's, besides which there were no American troops in the immediate vicinty fo them to 'interfere' with, the personel carrier had been abandoned.
Its standard procedure of every military, ever to destroy your own damaged equipment to prevent it from falling into enemy hands (as already mentioned). Civilians choosing to be near an APC choose to risk death when it is destroyed. They choose to give up their civilian status.

Next, some of the people on the APC were enemy combatants (how many, no on knows), and that makes them a legitimate target. Again, civilians choosing to mingle with enemy combatants are choosing to be in the line of fire. They choose to give up their civilian status.

Also, there certainly were American troops in the vicinity to interfere with: the troops in the helicopter on a legitimate mission to destroy the damaged vehicle and kill enemy fighters trying to loot it. If they had stopped because of civilians in the area, that would pretty much be the definition of "interference," wouldn't it?

Any civilians in the crowd made their choices and paid the consequences. I have little sympathy for them, with the exception of the kids. Kids don't know better: their parents should have kept them out of the battle.
The incident was captured on TV, despite the prescence of some fighters the crowd was still mostly civilians and no-one in it posed any therat to any American forces. Completely unjustifed...
Enemy fighters in the crowd most certainly do pose a threat to American forces. Are you suggesting we shouldn't pursue them but only shoot at them when they shoot at us?

Last edited:
Gza said:
I see that as a very disrespectful statement. We invaded their country with no authority or pretenses whatsoever, and bombed the living sh*t out of it.
Besides, of course, a treaty Saddam broke (or rather, never complied with) and several UN resolutions.
We have now resorted to attacking civilians who celebrate in manners we don't find appropriate (freedom in the general sense for the Iraqi people, doesn't involve freedom of speech I take it,)
A wholly incorrect characterization of the situation.
and now you call the deceased morons, because they don't understand "the dangers of war"? Do you understand the dangers of war as you sit comfortably in you cushy seat? There is no class or seminar on it, so enlighten us, please. Perhaps a pamphlet entitled "The Dangers of War" would be appropriate...
Do you? Would you have chosen to climb atop a burning military vehicle immediately after the battle? Would your common sense have told you it might not be a safe thing to do? Would your common sense tell you that waving the flag of the enemy might identify you as the enemy?

Just one little quickie:
phatmonky said:
3>Or perhaps you will read the statement where the apach took small arms fire, instead of jumping on the bandwagon.
Do you have a source for that? That makes my earlier statement irrelevant if true: any civilians in the crowd jumped right into the middle of a battle. Climbing on a burning vehicle after a battle is pretty dumb, but running into a firefight is just plain suicidal.

Phatmonky
1>Stop pushing that lie.
It isn't one.

Russ:
Its standard procedure of every military, ever to destroy your own damaged equipment to prevent it from falling into enemy hands (as already mentioned). Civilians choosing to be near an APC choose to risk death when it is destroyed. They choose to give up their civilian status.

Next, some of the people on the APC were enemy combatants (how many, no on knows), and that makes them a legitimate target. Again, civilians choosing to mingle with enemy combatants are choosing to be in the line of fire. They choose to give up their civilian status.
Man, that's so lame, how did you ever become a mentor of anything? Civilians in their own home town, dancing in the streets because a piece of the invader's military hardware was destroyed, become valid targets because they are having a party? Your attempts at justifying these acts by the invading force are becoming more ludicrous by the day.

This is great. A USA Apache fires on a crowd of innocent civilians. Again. And some users are trying to blame it all on the victims. Again.

russ_watters said:
Just one little quickie: Do you have a source for that? That makes my earlier statement irrelevant if true: any civilians in the crowd jumped right into the middle of a battle. Climbing on a burning vehicle after a battle is pretty dumb, but running into a firefight is just plain suicidal.

Sorry, thought it had already been posted in this thread- too many message boards ;)

http://www.abcnews.go.com/wire/US/reuters20040912_151.html
"As the helicopters flew over the burning Bradley they received small-arms fire from the insurgents in vicinity of the vehicle," a military statement said. "Clearly within the rules of engagement, the helicopters returned fire destroying some anti-Iraqi forces in the vicinity of the Bradley."

Now I'm not saying I know what happened, I'm saying the bandwagon in this thread is getting pretty full.