Solving Equation x³+x²+x-a=0 Analytically

• Thread starter Gavroy
  • Start date
In summary, the Rational Zero theorem states that if a polynomial has a rational root, it will have the form \pm \frac{p}{q} where p is a factor of the leading coefficient and q is a factor of the constant term. This can be proven by assuming a rational root and using properties of multiples and common factors.
Gavroy
hi,

i want to solve the equation
x³+x²+x-a=0
analytically
i was wondering if there are other methods than the general formula(Cardano's equation) to do this.

what i already noticed is that one can rewrite this as b=(1-x^4)/(1-x)

but i do not know if this could be helpful, do you have any further ideas?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Gavroy said:
hi,

i want to solve the equation
x³+x²+x-a=0
analytically
i was wondering if there are other methods than the general formula(Cardano's equation) to do this.

what i already noticed is that one can rewrite this as b=(1-x^4)/(1-x)

but i do not know if this could be helpful, do you have any further ideas?

What is the context of the question? Where does it come from? Is it schoolwork?

no, i was curious about this, cause we solved this type of equation with Newton's method and i thought maybe one could do this analytically and i know about the general formula to solve third order equation, but maybe there is another way than cardano's equations, especially as one could rewrite this to a different type of equation.

Gavroy said:
no, i was curious about this, cause we solved this type of equation with Newton's method and i thought maybe one could do this analytically and i know about the general formula to solve third order equation, but maybe there is another way than cardano's equations, especially as one could rewrite this to a different type of equation.

Nope! The only methods you can really rely on are:

1) rational root theorem, depending if a is rational. Using this method, you can derive all of the possible rational roots and just test each one. If the rational root test fails (all numbers you test != 0) you can conclude there there are no rational roots.

2) cubic formula

3) iterative methods (Newton's,bisection,etc.)

4) If you know one exact root (call it r), you can do polynomial division, dividing the cubic by (x-r) and obtaining a quadratic equation. After this, just use the quadratic formula to obtain the other two roots.

the thing with the rational fractions sounds interesting.

my equation is:

0=x+x²+x³-38/27

and the rational number 2/3 is a solution.

but how do i get this by this theorem?

Gavroy said:
the thing with the rational fractions sounds interesting.

my equation is:

0=x+x²+x³-38/27

and the rational number 2/3 is a solution.

but how do i get this by this theorem?

First, we have to convert this to an integer polynomial, so we multiply both sides by 27:

0=27x³+27x²+27x-38

We now list all p/q such that p is an integer factor of -38 and q is an integer factor of 27, so we have:

[tex]\pm \frac{1}{1}, \pm \frac{1}{3}, \pm \frac{1}{9}, \pm \frac{1}{27}, \pm \frac{2}{1}, \pm \frac{2}{3}, \pm \frac{2}{9}, \pm \frac{2}{27}, \pm \frac{19}{1}, \pm \frac{19}{3}, \pm \frac{19}{9}, \pm \frac{19}{27}, \pm \frac{38}{1}, \pm \frac{38}{3}, \pm \frac{38}{9}, \pm \frac{38}{27}[/tex]

Now the fun part. You plug each one into the cubic and see if any of them are roots. Out of this list is 2/3, which is a root.

okay, this is really what i was looking for, thank you. do you know if there is a theorem that tells me if a polynomial has a rational number that makes it zero?

Gavroy said:
okay, this is really what i was looking for, thank you. do you know if there is a theorem that tells me if a polynomial has a rational number that makes it zero?

Yes...the rational root theorem. If the rational root theorem fails, you can conclude that you do not have a rational root.

Gavroy said:

The Rational Zero theorem : it says

Suppose a polynomial
[itex]f(x) = a_{n}x^{n} + a_{n-1}x^{n-1} + ... + a_{2}x^{2} + a_{1}x + a_{0} [/itex]
where n is natural number where [itex]n \geq 1[/itex] ,[itex] a_{n} ,a_{n-1} ,...,a_{2}, a_{1}, a_{0} [/itex] are integers.If r is a rational zero then r has the form [itex]\pm \frac{p}{q}[/itex] , such that [itex]q[/itex] is a factor of [itex]a_{0}[/itex] and [itex]p[/itex] is a factor of [itex]a_{n}[/itex].

you can prove the theorem by assuming [itex]\frac{p}{q}[/itex] is a rational zero in lowest terms of f(x),and then plug it in f(x) where [itex]f(\frac{p}{q})=0[/itex] , after that multiply both sides of the equation by [itex]q^{n}[/itex] ,finally subtract [itex] a_{n}p^{n}[/itex]from both sides and multiply by (-1) and then make a good use of the fact that if a is a factor of one of the sides of the equation then it must be a factor of the other side. i.e that [itex] a_{n}p^{n}[/itex] is a multiple of p and since the other side is a multiple of q , then [itex] a_{n}p^{n}[/itex] is a multiple of q , but since q and p has no common factors then it follows that [itex] a_{n}[/itex] is a multiple of q , similarly we can show that [itex] a_{0}[/itex] is a multiple of p

Last edited:

1. What is an analytical solution for an equation?

An analytical solution for an equation is a method of finding the exact solution or solutions to an equation using mathematical operations and properties. It involves manipulating and rearranging the equation to isolate the variable and determine its value.

2. How do you solve an equation analytically?

To solve an equation analytically, you must first simplify the equation by combining like terms and moving all the terms containing the variable to one side of the equation. Then, use algebraic operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to isolate the variable on one side of the equation and determine its value.

3. What are the steps to solving an equation analytically?

The steps to solving an equation analytically are as follows:1. Simplify the equation by combining like terms.2. Move all terms containing the variable to one side of the equation.3. Use algebraic operations to isolate the variable on one side of the equation.4. Determine the value of the variable.

4. Are there any limitations to solving an equation analytically?

Yes, there are limitations to solving an equation analytically. Some equations, especially higher-degree polynomials, may not have analytical solutions and require numerical methods to approximate the solutions. Additionally, some equations may have complex or imaginary solutions, which cannot be expressed using real numbers.

5. How is solving an equation analytically different from solving it numerically?

Solving an equation analytically involves finding the exact solution or solutions to an equation using mathematical operations. On the other hand, solving an equation numerically involves using numerical methods such as iteration and approximation to find a close estimate of the solutions. Analytical solutions are more precise and accurate, while numerical solutions are more efficient for complex equations.