Finding K in a two spring system.

In summary, the homework statement states that the student did a lab experiment and is not sure how to determine the k for a two spring system. The student thinks that force= kx so k for both springs could be determined. The student found that k= 7.9000 for the two springs system.
youknow789

Homework Statement

I did a lab experiment this past week and not sure how to determine k for a two spring system. We had an object on a frictionless surface and attached one spring on each side. I was able able to determine the spring constant for both springs individually but not sure how to determine the k for both springs acting together.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Was thinking force= kx so k for both springs could I do force= K1x-K2x. K1 is spring constant for spring on the left. X is positive since the spring is elongating. K2 is the spring attached on the left side of the glider. X is negative because the spring is compression. Am I on the right path?

Physics news on Phys.org
To be more clear. I have the value for k for each spring and both springs working together. I curious in finding how the two individual spring constants relate to the spring constant of the two spring system.

They should add. What values of k did you get for each situation?

Makes sense the K are added. Think I over thought it . I can imagine the two springs as one spring once they are connected to the glider. The x wouldn't be negative for K2 since it one spring. X would just be the distance the glider moves from equilibrium. force=(k1+k2)*x

for two springs system I got k= 7.9000
left spring k= 3.655
right spring k= 3.828

So if I add it together it is roughly close to where I should be. The springs were pretty crappy so it was tough to get a constant k with them the more you used them. Please let me know if this thought pattern is correct.

Yeah I mean if you pull the object one direction it is pushed by one spring in one direction and and pulled in that same direction by the other spring.

That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification

1. What is "K" in a two spring system?

K is the spring constant, which is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It determines how much force is required to stretch or compress the spring a certain distance.

2. How is "K" calculated in a two spring system?

K can be calculated by dividing the force applied to the spring by the distance it is stretched or compressed. This value can also be determined experimentally by measuring the displacement of the spring and the corresponding applied force.

3. What is the significance of "K" in a two spring system?

K is important because it determines the amount of force required to stretch or compress the spring. It also affects the natural frequency of the system and can impact the overall behavior and stability of the system.

4. How does the value of "K" affect the motion of a two spring system?

The value of K affects the amplitude and frequency of the motion in a two spring system. A higher K value will result in a stiffer spring and therefore smaller amplitude of motion, while a lower K value will result in a more flexible spring and larger amplitude of motion.

5. Can the value of "K" change in a two spring system?

Yes, the value of K can change depending on the material and physical properties of the springs used. It can also be changed by adjusting the length or thickness of the springs. However, once a spring is set in motion, the value of K will remain constant for that specific system.