Explosion picture: most common mistake

In summary, the conversation discusses the common misconception of viewing the expansion of the universe as an explosion from a central point, perpetuated by popular media. The Scientific American magazine has an article debunking this misconception, which has been helpful to many. The conversation also mentions a YouTube video that highlights the fact that any point in space can appear to be the center of the universe due to the expansion.
marcus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
The single most common obstacle to understanding cosmology is probably the picture of expansion as an explosion outwards into empty space from some central point.
It's a mistaken picture instilled in the public mind by popular media channels and reinforced by time-honored slang: the misleading epithet "big bang".

The Scientific American magazine has a great article "Misconceptions about the Big Bang" that gets regularly recommended. A lot of us have found it helpful.
http://www.mso.anu.edu.au/~charley/papers/LineweaverDavisSciAm.pdf

Here's a sample illustration.

Attachments

• 0009F0CA-C523-1213-852383414B7F0147_p39.gif
    0009F0CA-C523-1213-852383414B7F0147_p39.gif
    38.5 KB · Views: 413
Space news on Phys.org
That was the point I made yesterday in the balloon analogy thread - that it was helpful to the understanding of the big bang. If time were constant - if Newtonian physics was totally correct - that view of the public would be the correct one, right?

Good article and great reference. I saw a youtube video once on this topic where the presenter showed that you could pick any point in space and all other points would be receding from it as if it were the center of the universe. I think it was a one-minute physics video. There was a guy with beard and glasses in it though.

1. What are the most common mistakes when creating an explosion picture?

The most common mistakes when creating an explosion picture include using unrealistic or incorrect colors, not paying attention to the direction and intensity of light, not using enough layers and textures, and not considering the physics and dynamics of an explosion.

2. How can I make my explosion picture look more realistic?

To make your explosion picture look more realistic, you should use a variety of colors and textures, pay attention to the direction and intensity of light, and use different layers to create depth and dimension. It is also important to research and understand the physics and dynamics of an explosion to accurately depict it in your picture.

3. What software or tools are best for creating an explosion picture?

Some popular software and tools for creating explosion pictures include Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk Maya, and Blender. These programs offer a variety of tools and effects that can help you create a realistic explosion picture.

4. Can I use real-life references when creating an explosion picture?

Yes, using real-life references such as photographs or videos of explosions can greatly enhance the realism of your picture. It can also help you understand the dynamics and physics of an explosion better, resulting in a more accurate depiction.

5. Are there any specific techniques for creating an explosion picture?

There are several techniques that can be used when creating an explosion picture, such as using multiple layers and textures, using blending modes, and using color grading to enhance the overall look. It is also important to pay attention to details such as the direction and intensity of light, and the shape and movement of the explosion.