What is the correct solution for a nucleus with a diameter of 8x10^(-15)m?

• Thread starter prolong199
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses a multiple choice question about the atomic mass of a nucleus with a given diameter. The calculated answer is 512, however there is uncertainty about the correct solution due to varying estimates of the diameter of a nucleon. The conversation also includes a discussion about finding reference values and the sensitivity of the question to small variations in the assumed nucleon diameter.
prolong199
i have the following for a multiple choice question
.." If a nucleus had a diameter of 8x10^(-15)m what would its atomic mass be?..."

I have calculated the answer to be 512, however this is not a solution. The solutions are 7, 37, 64, 296. Is the correct solution here? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The neutron is "of the order" of 10^(-15) meters in diameter, and using that, I get the same answer as you (8^3 = 512).

The problem here is that order of estimates are not precise enough for this calculation. Particles ranging from 0.5*10^(-15) to 5*10^(-15) in diameter can legitimately be said to have an order of magnitude of 10^(-15) meters. Of course, using different actual values will give wildly different estimates.

So, I don't know. Unless you have an authoritative source for the diameter of a neutron, the question has no right answer. I would just go with the one that's closest to the calculation and hope for the best. I'd also complain about the question after the test.

prolong199 said:
i have the following for a multiple choice question
.." If a nucleus had a diameter of 8x10^(-15)m what would its atomic mass be?..."

I have calculated the answer to be 512, however this is not a solution. The solutions are 7, 37, 64, 296. Is the correct solution here? Thanks
Yes. Use proton radius = 1.2 fm.

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Yes. Use proton radius = 1.2 fm.

AM

Just for my own edification, where can you find reference values like these ?

Just as an illustration of how wildly other estimates can vary, http://hypertextbook.com/facts/1999/YelenaMeskina.shtml (various figures given, including a bad estimate of 2*10^(-14) m)

http://www.glafreniere.com/sa_protons.htm (10^(-15) m)

http://www.coral-lab.org/~marc/libro/insignificance_full.html (1.6*10^(-15) m)

Needless to say, each of these different values will give a different answer to the question. Which is why a question like this is bad unless one is given the diameter of a nucleon to be assumed when working out the question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Andrew Mason said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atomic_nucleus#Nucleus_size" or "[URL
[/URL] are pretty good for finding just about anything, I find.

AM

Thanks for the references, but my concern is that there are various other estimates out there. This sort of question is exquisitively sensitive to small variations in the assumed nucleon diameter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Curious3141 said:
Thanks for the references, but my concern is that there are various other estimates out there. This sort of question is exquisitively sensitive to small variations in the assumed nucleon diameter.
I think the diameter of a proton at 1.2 fm is determined by extrapolation from measurements of larger nucleii on the theory that the nucleus has uniform density. If you plot r against A2/3 where r is the radius and A is the number of nucleons, you should get a line of slope r0 = radius of proton/neutron.

AM

Last edited:
Andrew Mason said:
I think the diameter of a proton at 1.2 fm is determined by extrapolation from measurements of larger nucleii on the theory that the nucleus has uniform density. If you plot r against A2/3 where r is the radius and A is the number of nucleons, you should get a line of slope r0 = radius of proton/neutron.

AM

Ah, thanks for the clarification. :smile:

1. Is there a single correct solution to a scientific problem?

No, there are often multiple solutions to a scientific problem. The solution that is considered "correct" is the one that best fits the available evidence and can be replicated by other scientists.

2. How do scientists determine which solution is correct?

Scientists use the scientific method, which involves making observations, forming hypotheses, conducting experiments, and analyzing data to determine which solution is the most accurate and supported by evidence.

3. Can a correct solution to a scientific problem change over time?

Yes, as new evidence is discovered and technology advances, the previously accepted solution to a scientific problem may be revised or replaced with a more accurate one.

4. Are there any ethical considerations when determining a correct solution?

Yes, scientists must consider the potential impacts of their solutions on society and the environment. They must also adhere to ethical guidelines and regulations set by their institutions and governing bodies.

5. Can there be disagreement among scientists about the correct solution to a problem?

Yes, scientific research is an ongoing process and there may be differing opinions among scientists about the correct solution to a problem. This is why peer review and replication of experiments are important in determining the most accurate solution.