Maximum Applied Force for No Slippage in Angular Motion

In summary: The rim of the cylinder is around 1/2 the radius of the cylinder, so the rim would have the same forces as the cylinder itself.
nocloud
okay, I've thought about this for a while and still can't figure it out and its absolutely bugging me to death

here's the picture:
http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/3193/problemcr4.gif

Assume that the static friction coefficient between the cylinder and the ground is "u", the gravitational acceleration is "g", the mass of the cylinder is "M", and the radius is "r". What is the maximum force that can be applied without slippage occurring

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, what forces are preventing the cylinder from rolling?

nocloud said:
okay, I've thought about this for a while and still can't figure it out and its absolutely bugging me to death

here's the picture:
http://img307.imageshack.us/img307/3193/problemcr4.gif

Assume that the static friction coefficient between the cylinder and the ground is "u", the gravitational acceleration is "g", the mass of the cylinder is "M", and the radius is "r". What is the maximum value of F without causing the cylinder to roll?
I don't get this question. It would make more sense if it asked what maximum force can be applied without slippage occurring.

Any force F will cause the cylinder to roll.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:
AH, oops, my bad, yea, the question is supposed to be what is the maximum force that can be applied without slippage occurring

Under what conditions (force-wise) does an object slides on a surface?

when the torque caused by the force exceeds the torque generated by friction?

ahh, I'm so confused, can somebody help? I'm totally lost now

Draw a free body diagram. The forces are:

F on the top

Force of static friction on the bottom

However, the static friction can only apply so much force, right? So what happens after F is greater than the static friction on the bottom?

it begins to roll?

nocloud, which direction is the static friction pointing in? (Hint: It's the opposite direction of motion).

You should be able to see that the static friction is applied in the correct direction for the cylinder to roll. However, what happens after the static friction is overcome? Then it's kinetic friction... now let's compare the two:

Static friction: Object doesn't slide (hence, it rolls instead)
Kinetic friction: Object slides

nocloud said:
AH, oops, my bad, yea, the question is supposed to be what is the maximum force that can be applied without slippage occurring
Try analysing the forces and torque about the point of instantaneous point of contact. You can see that the force and torque does not change as the cylinder rolls - it is just the point of contact (the fulcrum) moves.

[tex]\tau_{top} = I_{rim}\alpha = (\frac{1}{2}MR^2 + MR^2)\alpha[/tex]

where [itex]\alpha[/itex] is the angular acceleration of the cylinder about the point of contact, which is just a/R where a is the acceleration of the centre of mass. So:

(1) [tex]\tau_{top} = \frac{3}{2}MRa[/tex]

Since the net torque produces the angular acceleration of the cylinder about the cylinder's center of mass (which if it rolls is just a/R where a is the acceleration of the centre of mass), we have:

(2) [tex]\tau_{top} - \tau_{bottom} = I_{cm}\alpha = \frac{1}{2}MR^2\alpha = \frac{1}{2}MRa [/tex]

Subtracting (2) from (1) we have:

(3) [tex]\tau_{bottom} = MRa \implies F_{bottom} = Ma[/tex]

This makes sense, since the road provides the force which accelerates the centre of mass.

AM

Last edited:
I don't understand why I(rim)=1/2MR^2+MR^2. shouldn't that be just 1/2MR^2?

1. What is "tough angular motion problem"?

"Tough angular motion problem" refers to a type of physics problem that involves calculating the motion and forces of objects that are moving in a circular or curved path.

2. Why are angular motion problems considered tough?

Angular motion problems can be considered tough because they often involve complex calculations and require a strong understanding of concepts such as rotational dynamics, torque, and angular velocity.

3. How are angular motion problems different from linear motion problems?

Angular motion problems involve objects moving in a circular or curved path, while linear motion problems involve objects moving in a straight line. Additionally, angular motion problems require the use of rotational quantities such as angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration.

4. What are some common strategies for solving tough angular motion problems?

Some common strategies for solving tough angular motion problems include drawing clear diagrams, identifying known and unknown quantities, using relevant equations and formulas, and carefully considering the direction of forces and motions involved.

5. Why is it important to understand tough angular motion problems?

Understanding tough angular motion problems is important because it allows us to accurately predict and analyze the behavior of objects in rotational motion, which is essential in many areas of science and technology such as engineering, astronomy, and mechanics.