PF PHOTO CONTEST - In A Fowl Mood (7/19-7/25)

In summary, the main subject of this picture are seagulls. The contest rules state that digital photos or digitally-scanned photos relevant to the theme will be accepted, and that pictures must be resized to 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels and may be cropped. You are allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture, but other than that, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. You are allowed to use a picture only once. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.
ZapperZ
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor
Insights Author
In A Fowl Mood

Our theme this week focuses on our feathered friends. This includes birds, chickens, geese, ducks, ostritches, penguins, storks, cranes, seagulls, ... well, I think you know what I mean. Please note that these should be the main subject of your picture and not merely incidental to the picture.

Zz.

Contest Rules:

1. Any digital photo or digitally-scanned photo relevant to the theme will be accepted within the contest period. In case there's a gray area, or you're not sure if the picture is suitable, check with me first.

2. Please resize your digital photo to no more than 650 x 490 or 490 x 650 pixels. You may also crop your picture if you wish. You are also allowed to adjust the brightness and contrast of your picture but these should not dramatically alter the look of the picture. But other than those, any form of picture editing or modification is not allowed. This is a photo contest, not a picture editing/special effect contest. You may add a watermark or your name/nickname to the photo for identification purposes.

3. Upload your photos to any of the photo servers such as imageshack or photobucket. Then post it the relevant contest thread and link your picture using the img command. PM me if you do not know how.

4. Only ONE picture per member per contest. Once a picture is posted, it cannot be changed other than a total withdrawl by that member from that week's photo contest. Exceptions will be made for modification to comply with the rules, such as resizing.

5. At the end of the contest period, I will open a poll and every PF member can vote for the picture they like best.

6. Note that in case we have a large number of entries, I will do the polling in more than one thread. If that's the case, you can vote in each of the polling threads. The photos will be assigned in the polling threads in the order they were submitted.

7. These pictures must be something that you took, not something taken off someone else's photo albums or taken by someone else. I have no way of checking if you did this, so we'll go by the honor system.

8. You can use a picture only once. Once it is used in a contest, it cannot be reused in another contest.

9. Please post only pictures meant for submission in this thread.

Zz.

Physics news on Phys.org
On our way up the coast on our vacation we had dinner at Depoe Bay, OR. When we left the restaurant, we saw this couple feeding seagulls.

http://home.earthlink.net/~jparvey/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/seagulls.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I would say this Pigeon is in a rather foul mood... and for good reason. I suspect once he escapes from his cage in he will promptly peck his captors' eyes out.

Picture taken in Mazatlan, Mexico
Pidgeon.jpg

I have too many recent shots to choose from here!
2641031739_da6b325a5f.jpg

These puffins live on Great Skellig, a tiny rock a few km off the coast of Ireland. There are thousands of them there, and they just don't seem to fear humans. I guess they don't have any land-based predators where they live.

This definitely isn't the most photogenic FOWL picture that I have, but my daughter insisted I had to enter this one because of the timing.
326578627.jpg

I didn't even remember that anyone was feeding this Mallard, until I zoomed in and found her in mid bite!

I have an awesome picture of a really pissed off turkey that is more photogenic, but this is what you get for now. Maybe I can save the turkey one for Thanksgiving?

(the puffins are adorable!)

Attachments

• 326578627.jpg
    326578627.jpg
    1.1 KB · Views: 364
Here is a male hooded merganser with his crest elevated, showing off for the ladies. They arrive in April and take advantage of the open water at a local mill-pond until the great ponds ice-out and they can choose nesting sites.

merganser-1.jpg

I can already see this is going to be a very difficult contest to vote on! Beautiful birds!

babyowl8.jpg

Olly, the fledgling owl.

rsz_Whoopi.jpg

This is one of our Polish hens. Her name is Whoopi.

hypatia said:
babyowl8.jpg

Olly, the fledgling owl.

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww! I don't think I can vote, too many to choose from!

I know! I love them all, too! Whoopie is adorable, binzing!

binzing said:
rsz_Whoopi.jpg

This is one of our Polish hens. Her name is Whoopi.

As in "Whoopi Goldbird" I assume?

Garth

Precisely garth!

Thank You Tsu.

They're (were since we gave them away, too much of a hassle...) funny, you could walk up, and because of their "afros" you had to get pretty close before they'd see your feet, so if you walked up fast they'd jump up in the air and squawk. If you ever want to have a farm type animal I highly recommend chickens, they're so funny with huge personality...

binzing said:
Precisely garth!

Thank You Tsu.

They're (were since we gave them away, too much of a hassle...) funny, you could walk up, and because of their "afros" you had to get pretty close before they'd see your feet, so if you walked up fast they'd jump up in the air and squawk. If you ever want to have a farm type animal I highly recommend chickens, they're so funny with huge personality...

I totally agree...we had several hens when we lived in our old house. Each one had a distinct, unique personallity.

We can't have chickens where we live now, but I can't wait to move back to a more rural property so that we can get some again.

Mech_Engineer said:
I would say this Pigeon is in a rather foul mood... and for good reason. I suspect once he escapes from his cage in he will promptly peck his captors' eyes out.

Picture taken in Mazatlan, Mexico
Pidgeon.jpg
This is great ME. I love the way you have framed the bird.

hypatia said:
babyowl8.jpg

Olly, the fledgling owl.
OOOOh too cute!

matthyaouw said:
2641031739_da6b325a5f.jpg

These puffins live on Great Skellig, a tiny rock a few km off the coast of Ireland. There are thousands of them there, and they just don't seem to fear humans. I guess they don't have any land-based predators where they live.
Lovely colors and interesting birds too! Well done.

turbo-1 said:
merganser-1.jpg

binzing said:
rsz_Whoopi.jpg

These two must use the same barber!

matthyaouw said:

Puffins always look worried to me...like they're really fretting about something. Their troubled expressions don't match their lively colors - very incongruous.

larkspur said:
These two must use the same barber!
I think the merganser uses more gel. :rolleyes:

jonathon025a.jpg

I found this little guy (Emerald Sparrow ?)beside my garage today. I set him back up on a fence post to give him a better chance. He is gone now, hope he makes it.

You have less than 2 days left to submit a photo of our feathered friends.

Zz.

Mr. and Mrs. Eastern Bluebird

2409260950_ab89075134.jpg

Blue birds, Sparrows{Integral, OMG is he cute} are some of my favorite birds. I'm thinking every photo here is a winner.

1. What is the "PF PHOTO CONTEST - In A Fowl Mood" about?

The "PF PHOTO CONTEST - In A Fowl Mood" is a photo contest organized by the PF (Poultry Farming) organization to showcase the diversity and beauty of chickens in different moods.

2. Who can participate in the contest?

The contest is open to anyone with an interest in photography and poultry farming. Both amateur and professional photographers are welcome to participate.

3. What are the rules and guidelines for the contest?

The rules and guidelines for the contest are as follows:

• Photos must be original and taken by the participant.
  • Photos must be of chickens and showcase their different moods.
  • Photos must be in high resolution and in JPEG format.
  • Participants can submit up to 3 photos.
  • Photos must not have been previously published or won any other contests.

4. How do I submit my photos for the contest?

To submit your photos, you can either post them on social media using the hashtag #PFFowlMoodContest or email them to the designated email address provided by the PF organization. Make sure to include your name, contact information, and a brief description of the photo.

5. What is the deadline for submissions and when will the winners be announced?

The deadline for submissions is July 25th. The winners will be announced on August 1st on the PF organization's social media pages and website. Make sure to follow them to stay updated.