Calculating the electric field in an electron gun

In summary, the homework statement is that a cathode and anode are connected by a wire 3mm away, and the student needs to calculate the electric field between the cathode and anode in order to find the acceleration of an electron in that field.
sylvarant

Homework Statement

I have given a cathode and a anode being -1000V and 1000V each respectivily
I know the distance between the cathode and anode its 3mm
What I have to do now is calculate the electric field between the cathode and anode and use that to find the acceleration of an electron in that electric field.

Homework Equations

well the acceleration = F/me with F being qe*E
now qe=-1.60e-19;
and me=9.11e-31;

The Attempt at a Solution

All I need now is the E I tried using the following Vanode -Vcathode = Integral(E(r)dr)
but I have no idea how to form this E as I have no given charge :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need to know the charge to find the E field. Hint: Assume that the E field is uniform between cathode and anode.

Doc Al said:
You don't need to know the charge to find the E field. Hint: Assume that the E field is uniform between cathode and anode.

Well integrating a constant would give a result of the form
E*(0.003)-E*(0) = Vanode-Vcathode
so E then is 2000/0.003 = giving a whopping 6.667e5
and making my electron accelerate at a speed of -1.15e17
Is that even possible ?

Why not? Electrons are pretty tiny. (That's an acceleration, not a speed.)

Doc Al said:
Why not? Electrons are pretty tiny. (That's an acceleration, not a speed.)

You're correct :)

now I have to calculate the speed after those 3mm and the time it takes to do so

for speed I use v = sqrt(v0+2a(0.003)) but as a is negative it results in a complex number so I just calculated it for -a and then reversed the sign at the end.
Is this a correct approach ? the text hints at calculating the time first but you'd need the velocity for that

sylvarant said:
for speed I use v = sqrt(v0+2a(0.003)) but as a is negative it results in a complex number so I just calculated it for -a and then reversed the sign at the end.
Whether the acceleration is negative or positive just depends on your sign convention. But the acceleration and the distance will have the same sign, so their product will always be positive. (If the electron accelerates to the right, it also moves to the right.)
Is this a correct approach ? the text hints at calculating the time first but you'd need the velocity for that
It's a fine approach. But you could certainly calculate the time first (using a different kinematic formula) without needing the velocity.

Ok, thanks

Potential difference = 2000V,

E = V/d = 2000/(3*10^-3) N/C

1. How do you calculate the electric field in an electron gun?

The electric field in an electron gun can be calculated using the formula E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the potential difference, and d is the distance between the electrodes.

2. What is the purpose of calculating the electric field in an electron gun?

The electric field is an important factor in determining the acceleration and trajectory of electrons in an electron gun. By calculating the electric field, we can control and optimize the velocity and direction of the electron beam for various applications, such as in cathode ray tubes or particle accelerators.

3. How does the shape and placement of the electrodes affect the electric field in an electron gun?

The shape and placement of the electrodes can greatly influence the electric field in an electron gun. Electrodes with a larger surface area can produce a stronger electric field, while the distance between the electrodes can affect the strength and direction of the field.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the electric field in an electron gun?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating the electric field in an electron gun include the presence of external magnetic fields, variations in the shape and placement of the electrodes, and the use of materials with different dielectric constants.

5. Can the electric field in an electron gun be manipulated to produce a specific electron beam?

Yes, by adjusting the voltage, distance between electrodes, and shape of the electrodes, the electric field in an electron gun can be manipulated to produce a specific electron beam with desired velocity and trajectory. This is crucial in various applications where precise control of the electron beam is necessary.