Increase Functions: e^x and lnx

In summary, the conversation discusses the properties of a function, specifically its derivative, as x increases. The question arises about whether a function can exist where as x increases, the function decreases. The example of e^x is given, and it is mentioned that the inverse of e^x is lnx, with a derivative of 1/x. There is some confusion about whether the question is asking for the derivative of the inverse function or the inverse of the derivative. It is concluded that the derivative of the inverse function is 1/x, and there is a clarification about the codomain of the function.
Firepanda
http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/9429/asdaauh6.jpg

I'm not too sure about this, I thought as a example function e^x, where I can say as x gets larger then so does e^x and then so does its derivative at those values of x.

But what if it was a function where as x increased the function was getting smaller, and so it would be a decreasing function.. or perhaps it doesn't matter and I should assume a function like that doesn't exist?

Is there any other function with that property other than e^x?

Really confused about the second part, taking e^x as an example, then then inverse would be lnx, and its derivative 1/x. Then surely I'm supposed to assume all they are talking about here is e^x, since no other f'(x) can take the form of 1/x other than f(x) = lnx...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
since f(x)=f`(x) and codomain is R+ f`(x) is always > 0 hence increasing.

f(x) said:
since f(x)=f`(x) and codomain is R+ f`(x) is always > 0 hence increasing.

Would that be considered a proof?

What f(x) said is not quite true. f is NOT into R+ and the f ' is NOT always "> 0" but close:
Your problem tells you that f(x) is never negative and that f'(x)= f(x) for all x. That is, f'(x) is never negative. What does that tell you?

Ah I see, the second part though, so far I can say the slope of the inverse function would be given by 1/f'(x).

Can someone tell me if the question is asking for the derivative of the inverse function, or the inverse of the derivative?

Edit:

I see it's asking for the derivative of the inverse function, so what I did was this:

the slope of the inverse would be 1/f'(x) = dx/dy taking y = f(x)

then I went on to say that 1/f'(x) = (f -1)' (x) (derivative the inverse of f(x))

So howdo i show this is 1/x ?

Last edited:
gta hand this in in 30 mins, hoping someone will read this and help :(

You are confusing x and y in y= f(x) and x= f-1(y).

HallsofIvy said:
What f(x) said is not quite true. f is NOT into R+ and the f ' is NOT always "> 0" but close:
Your problem tells you that f(x) is never negative and that f'(x)= f(x) for all x. That is, f'(x) is never negative. What does that tell you?
Hello sir,
Pardon me but could you please explain why f`(x) >= 0 and not f`(x) > 0 since the codomain of f(x) has an interval (0,∞) exclusive while f(x) = f`(x)
Thanks

You are right, I was wrong. I misread [itex](0, \infty)[/itex] as [itex][0, \infty)[/itex].

1. What is the difference between ex and lnx?

ex and lnx are inverse functions of each other. ex is the exponential function, where the base e is a constant approximately equal to 2.718, and the exponent is the value of x. On the other hand, lnx is the natural logarithm function, where the base e is used to raise to the power of x to get the value y. In simpler terms, ex gives the output (y-value) when the input (x-value) is known, while lnx gives the input (x-value) when the output (y-value) is known.

2. How do you graph ex and lnx functions?

To graph ex, you can plot a few points and then connect them with a smooth curve. For example, if x is 0, ex is 1. If x is 1, ex is approximately 2.718. Similar points can be plotted for negative values of x. To graph lnx, the process is reversed. Plot points where x is 1, e, e2, etc. and connect them with a curve. The graph of lnx will approach y = x as x gets larger.

3. What are the applications of ex and lnx functions?

Both ex and lnx have many real-world applications in fields such as finance, physics, and biology. The exponential function ex is used to model population growth, radioactive decay, and compound interest, among others. The natural logarithm function lnx is used to solve exponential equations and to measure the half-life of a substance.

4. How do you solve equations involving ex and lnx?

To solve equations involving ex and lnx, you can use the fact that they are inverse functions. For example, if you have the equation ex = 10, you can take the natural logarithm of both sides to get x = ln(10). Similarly, if you have the equation lnx = 3, you can raise both sides to the power of e to get x = e3.

5. How are ex and lnx used in calculus?

ex and lnx are important functions in calculus, especially in the study of derivatives and integrals. The derivative of ex is itself, making it a useful function in finding the slope of tangent lines. The integral of lnx is xlnx - x, which is used in many integration problems. These functions also appear in the equations of exponential growth and decay, as well as in the definition of the natural logarithmic function.