Bird's and Frog's view, Quantum decoherence and consciousness

In summary, birds have an aerial view of the world while frogs have a limited view from below. This influences their behavior and survival. Quantum decoherence is the process by which quantum systems become classical systems, and it is thought to play a role in consciousness. However, there is no consensus on its relationship with free will. Studies have shown differences in behavior and perception between birds and frogs, with birds relying more on vision and frogs on their other senses.
Dmitry67
Hi, All

As I know quantum reality (bird’s view) is transformed into the world we observe (frog’s view) via the process called quantum decoherence. Based on wiki, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decoherence (as I understand it) this is just mathematical result of mapping a quantum reality into a state of a microscopic object with a huge number of degrees of freedom.

However, microscopic systems (processors, brains) are “protected” from the quantum fluctuations (unless specifically designed to detect them). Noise from heat fluctuations do not affect the processor of my laptop and it gives the predictable results no matter how every specific molecule moves.

So (what I was thinking before) the quantum reality is mapped twice: Bird’s view is mapped into frog’s view (classical physics) via the decoherence, and the second stage, where states of individual molecules are mapped into ‘processor bits’ belongs to the technology. The quantum behavior ends at the first stage.

But the macroscopic systems can not observe movements of all parts they consist of in principle because the number of states of processor on the IT level (memory, registers) is much much less then the number of states if we look at the processor as a collection of molecules. So for processor (or for our consciousness) different paths (path N1234: molecule H2O N 9223 in row 3445 :) split into H+ and OH-, path N1235 – the same, but another molecule split, etc) – they all lead to the *same* state of processor or our consciousness.

In that case, if there any physical meaning in distinguishing these different branches of reality? Or, like on Feynman diagrams with virtual particles, different branches of reality should also interfere?

Finally, I am ready to formulate my question: what exactly is a “frog” and where quantum coherence ends, as we have a hierarchy of ‘microscopic states’? Does it end just because a frog contains too many moving molecules, or because a frog can observe? As a choice of final states for the quantum decoherence process is arbitrary, can we say that decoherence occurs (for us) only when it ‘hits’ our consciousness? In that case, weird quantum things can happen on the microscopic level, in our every day live, but we just do not feel them.

Regards

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your interesting post about quantum decoherence and its relationship to our perception of reality. I am also fascinated by the mysteries of quantum mechanics and the implications it has on our understanding of the world around us.

Firstly, I would like to clarify that quantum decoherence is not just a mathematical result, but a real physical process that occurs when a quantum system interacts with its environment. This interaction causes the quantum system to lose its coherence and behave in a classical, predictable manner. This is why we do not observe quantum effects in our everyday lives - because the systems we interact with are constantly in a state of decoherence.

You are correct in your understanding that the decoherence process occurs at both the microscopic and macroscopic levels. However, the reason why we do not observe quantum effects at the macroscopic level is not just because there are too many molecules involved, but also because of the nature of our perception. Our brains are designed to interpret the world in a classical, macroscopic way, so even if there are quantum events happening at a microscopic level, our consciousness will not be able to detect them.

As for your question about the physical meaning of distinguishing different branches of reality, it is still an open topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that these different branches do indeed interfere with each other, while others propose that they exist independently. It is a fascinating area of research that is still being explored.

In conclusion, I would say that a "frog" in this context is a metaphor for our classical, macroscopic reality. And as for where quantum coherence ends, it is difficult to pinpoint a specific boundary as it is influenced by both the system and the observer. I hope this helps to answer your questions and sparks further curiosity and exploration into the world of quantum mechanics.

I would respond to this by saying that the concept of quantum decoherence and its relationship to consciousness is still a topic of ongoing research and debate in the scientific community. While the idea that consciousness may play a role in the collapse of quantum states is intriguing, there is currently no definitive evidence to support this idea. Additionally, the concept of consciousness itself is still not fully understood and remains a subject of study in fields such as neuroscience and psychology.

Furthermore, the idea that different branches of reality should interfere is not necessarily applicable in all cases. In some situations, such as with the decoherence of macroscopic systems, the different branches may not be distinguishable or may not have any observable effects.

In terms of where quantum coherence ends and classical physics begins, this is also an area of ongoing research. It is generally accepted that the effects of quantum mechanics become less significant at larger scales, but the exact point at which this transition occurs is still being studied.

Overall, while the relationship between quantum decoherence and consciousness is a fascinating concept, it is important to approach it with caution and continue to investigate and gather evidence before drawing any definitive conclusions.

1. What is the difference between a bird's and a frog's view of the world?

A bird's view is from above, giving a wider perspective of the environment. A frog's view is from below, giving a more limited view of the world. These different perspectives affect the way birds and frogs interact with their surroundings and can influence their behavior and survival.

2. What is quantum decoherence?

Quantum decoherence is the process by which quantum systems lose their coherence, or the ability to exist in multiple states at once, and become classical systems. This occurs when a quantum system interacts with its environment, causing it to collapse into a single state and lose its quantum properties.

3. How does quantum decoherence relate to consciousness?

Some scientists believe that consciousness arises from quantum processes in the brain. Quantum decoherence is thought to play a role in this process, as it allows for the integration of information from different parts of the brain and enables complex cognitive functions. However, the exact relationship between quantum decoherence and consciousness is still a topic of debate and further research is needed.

4. Can quantum decoherence explain the concept of free will?

There is no consensus among scientists on whether quantum decoherence can explain the concept of free will. Some argue that the probabilistic nature of quantum mechanics provides room for free will, while others argue that free will is an illusion and can be explained by classical physics. Further research is needed to fully understand the relationship between quantum decoherence and free will.

5. Is there evidence for birds and frogs having different perspectives of the world?

Yes, there have been several studies that have shown differences in behavior and perception between birds and frogs. For example, birds have better color vision and can see a wider range of colors compared to frogs, who have better night vision. Additionally, birds rely more on their vision for hunting and navigating their environment, while frogs rely more on their other senses such as hearing and touch.