I read this thread earlier and found it interesting. It raised an interesting problem to me. As you said the increase in mass for a short height is extremely small. However there is no bound to how "high" you can raise an object. You could increase the distance forever, which should also mean the energy stored in and thus mass would increase forever. I don't think this is the case. I may be mistaken but I thought that since gravity has no distance limit every bit of matter should have gravitational potential energy relative to every other bit. Two very distant stars should have a significant increase in mass from the high potential energy. This also presents a problem since that increase in mass should increase the gravity between them, and create an endless cycle. Each increase in mass would increase the gravity by a small but non zero amount.
I tried to figure this out for myself, I realize you can't use the simply formula for potential energy at great distances, as g doesn't remain constant, so I used the more complex:
[tex]J = -G \frac{m_1 m_2}{R}[/tex]
However I was confused by it's usage. The result is a negative number, which got higher (closer to 0) as the distance increased. By doing one calculation with the radius of the Earth, and another with radius + 1, and taking the difference I found that the result agreed with the simpler formula. So I could find the difference in energies based on a change in distance. But I was confused as to how to get the energy for a given distance. The obvious solution was to compare it to a 0 distance, but then I had to divide by 0. So I settled on using 1, since that would effectively remove the distance variable from the formula. Giving me J = -G * m1 * m2 to find the maximum energy two masses could have, then using the formula to find out how much they had for the given distance, and then finding the difference.
Anyway, I want to know if J = G * m1 * m2 gives the maximum amount of gravitational potential energy two masses could have relative to each other. If it does it would help explain why everything doesn't have an infinite mass from potential energy, since there would be a finite limit on the increase. To see if I understand all this I did the calculation for the potential energy Jupiter has relative to the Sun.
m1 = 1.98892 * 1030
m2 = 1.8987 * 1027
R = 7.5 * 1011
J = G * m1 * m2 gave me 2.51996663 * 1047 for a maximum energy, and the formula for the distance gave me 3.35995551 * 1035, and their difference was so close to the max that I my calculator didn't even bother. So this means that Jupiter's potential gravity relative to the Sun is 2.51996663 * 1047J, which is very close to the maximum possible, correct? If that is correct that is 2.80384101 * 1030kg, which is about double the combined mass of the Sun and Jupiter alone. That doesn't seem like it can be true. And if it is shouldn't this mass then have to be taken into account?