Electric engineering student tablet

In summary, tablets are not widely used in engineering careers, with most students still preferring traditional methods such as paper notes and hand-written assignments. While some students have found success using tablets for note-taking and assignments, it is not a common trend and may not be necessary to invest in for most engineering students. Additionally, it is important to always back up important work in case of technical malfunction.
SuperMiguel
so is a tablet pc any usefull in this career or I am better of getting a regular laptop?

Physics news on Phys.org
lol I doubt it. I am doing electrical engineering atm and i really have no use for a tablet or even a laptop for that matter. Calculations and diagrams are much easier to do on paper I am afraid.

any other student?

Depends on your taste. I personally prefer scrawling notes in a new paper notebook which I purchase every start of the semester.

so don't waste the money and get a regular small laptop?

SuperMiguel said:
any other student?

I knew a guy who wrote all his notes on his tablet, and did all his homework on it (he hand-wrote his engineering assignments on it and then resized and printed them off on engineering paper so that it all fit properly). Absolutely key: back everything up (external enclosure, big USB key, etc.) just in case of catastrophic failure.

I knew another guy who just typed up his notes (while in class!) and typed up all his assignments (using mostly LaTeX) on his regular laptop.

...But it sounds like you've already got your mind set, and just want somebody to give you a counterexample to the one post above.

EDIT: But the above two were exceptions; most people took regular paper notes and did their assignments by hand on paper. Based on the homework I and my colleagues have graded, this continues to be the trend.

As a professor (of physics... but often assigned the intro calc-based physics classes for engineers), I will say I've never seen a student with a tablet PC in my classes, though I've seen many laptops.

As a graduate student, we had ONE (out of forty+) in our incoming class have a tablet PC... and the rest of us always felt he was using it less for usefulness and more for "showing off" (since they were quite pricey at that time... and most, if not all, of us didn't even use laptops). He wasn't very popular with our class as a result... and I think that hurt him academically, since a lot of times we would work and study together.

I agree with MATLABdude... even with more and more students owning laptops, most people still take regular notes and do their assignments by hand on paper. (Note that after having a dismal rate with homework submission via an online system, I'm reverting back to paper submission of all my homework assignments.) I think students like laptops because they can take them to the library, coffee-shops, etc... and they also take up less room on a desk (of course maybe my office just needs cleaned so I have better desk space!).

1. What is an electric engineering student tablet?

An electric engineering student tablet is a portable electronic device specifically designed for students majoring in electrical engineering. It usually has a touchscreen display and comes with various software and applications that are useful for studying and completing assignments related to electric engineering.

2. What features should I look for in an electric engineering student tablet?

Some important features to consider when choosing an electric engineering student tablet include a high-resolution display, a powerful processor, long battery life, compatibility with engineering software, and the ability to connect to external devices such as a keyboard or mouse.

3. Can I use an electric engineering student tablet for other subjects?

Yes, an electric engineering student tablet can be used for other subjects as well. While it may have specific features geared towards engineering, it can still function as a regular tablet for tasks such as taking notes, browsing the internet, and watching videos.

4. Are there any specific brands or models of electric engineering student tablets that are recommended?

There are several brands and models of electric engineering student tablets on the market. Some popular options include the Microsoft Surface Pro, Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Tablet, and Apple iPad Pro. It is important to research and compare different options to find the best fit for your needs and budget.

5. How can an electric engineering student tablet benefit me as a student?

An electric engineering student tablet can benefit you in many ways as a student. It can help you stay organized with digital note-taking and planning tools, increase your productivity with engineering-specific software, and provide easy access to online resources for studying and research. It can also make it easier to collaborate with classmates and submit assignments electronically.