New Trends in Quantum Gravity II

In summary: Rede_Tematicos/workshop.html In summary, the speakers at the Rede Sul-Americana de Gravitação Quântica discuss recent trends in quantum gravity. Some of the speakers are G. Aldazabal, J. Alfaro, N. Berkovits, R. Gambini, H. O. Girotti, C. Herzog, P. Mora, C. Nuñez, M. Reisenberger, and A. Zee.
ccdantas
I have just seen this:

http://www.fma.if.usp.br/~rivelles/Rede_Tematicos/workshop.html

NEW TRENDS IN QUANTUM GRAVITY II

Rede Sul-Americana de Gravitação Quântica

September 8 to 11, 2009

Instituto de Física Teórica - São Paulo, Brazil

SPEAKERS

* G. Aldazabal (C. A. Bariloche)
* J. Alfaro (PUC, Chile)
* N. Berkovits (IFT/UNESP)
* R. Gambini (Universidad de la República)
* H. O. Girotti (U. F. Rio Grande do Sul)
* C. Herzog (Princeton U.)
* P. Mora (U. Republica)
* C. Nuñez (IAFE and Universidad de Buenos Aires)
* M. Reisenberger (U. República)
* A. Zee (KITP, Santa Barbara)

Physics news on Phys.org
Hey great! Thank you, Christine!

Fortunately they missed (by a narrow margin) conflicting with the Corfu school:
http://www.physics.ntua.gr/corfu2009/qg.html
It is running 13-20 September

BTW I am especially glad to see that Tony Zee will be sitting across the table from Rodolfo Gambini. I vaguely recall Zee has authored some papers where it seemed to me he paralleled some previous work by Gambini but didn't recognize the extent of overlap. Anyway that's my impression. It will be good if he can get to know Gambini better and there can be more mutual citation. I recall liking Zee (and also Steve Hsu, a frequent co-author) because they seem comparatively open to novel ideas, like solving the BH info problem by a black hole bounce. They don't promote novelty for novelty's sake, but they are open to considering it.

Reisenberger is a longtime collaborator of Rovelli's and was recently visiting at Marseille for several months (maybe still there.) At the root of several productive QG ideas. But of all these people, I'm mainly watching Rodolfo Gambini.

Last edited:
I hope Rivelles will blog about it, although his blog appears to be frozen for some time now.

http://www.fma.if.usp.br/~rivelles/

1. What is quantum gravity and why is it important?

Quantum gravity is a theoretical framework that aims to reconcile the theories of general relativity and quantum mechanics. It is important because it seeks to explain the behavior of the universe at a fundamental level, including the properties of space and time.

2. What is the current state of research in quantum gravity?

The current state of research in quantum gravity is a highly active and interdisciplinary field. Scientists are exploring various theories and mathematical frameworks, such as loop quantum gravity, string theory, and causal dynamical triangulation, in order to better understand the nature of space and time.

3. How does quantum gravity differ from classical gravity?

Classical gravity, as described by Newton's laws of motion and Einstein's theory of general relativity, treats gravity as a classical force acting between massive objects. Quantum gravity, on the other hand, seeks to explain gravity at a quantum level, where particles and forces are described by quantum mechanics.

4. What are some potential applications of quantum gravity?

Potential applications of quantum gravity include a deeper understanding of the early universe and the behavior of black holes, as well as the possibility of developing a unified theory of all fundamental forces in the universe.

5. Are there any experimental tests for quantum gravity?

Currently, there are no direct experimental tests for quantum gravity. However, scientists are conducting experiments and observations that can provide indirect evidence for certain aspects of quantum gravity, such as the search for gravitational waves and the study of the cosmic microwave background radiation.

Back