[math analysis] sup f< sup g=>∫f^n<∫g^n

  • Thread starter Thread starter mathdunce
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Analysis
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
mathdunce
Messages
16
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


1.JPG



Homework Equations


2.JPG



The Attempt at a Solution


3.JPG
 
Attachments
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 586
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    13.5 KB · Views: 508
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    25.7 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
We know that

[tex]\int_0^1{f^n}\leq (\sup f)^n[/tex].

So we need to show that

[tex](\sup f)^n\leq \int_0^1{g^n}[/tex]

Since sup(f)<sup(g), there exists a neighbourhood ]a,b[ such that

[tex]\forall x\in ]a,b[:~\sup(f)<g(x)[/tex]

Now we can use

[tex]\int_0^1{g_n}\geq \int_a^b{g_n}\geq (b-a)\inf_{x\in ]a,b[}{g^n(x)}[/tex].

so you must prove now that there exists an n such that

[tex](\sup f)^n<(b-a)\inf_{x\in ]a,b[}{g^n(x)}[/tex]
 
micromass said:
We know that

[tex]\int_0^1{f^n}\leq (\sup f)^n[/tex].

So we need to show that

[tex](\sup f)^n\leq \int_0^1{g^n}[/tex]

Since sup(f)<sup(g), there exists a neighbourhood ]a,b[ such that

[tex]\forall x\in ]a,b[:~\sup(f)<g(x)[/tex]

Now we can use

[tex]\int_0^1{g_n}\geq \int_a^b{g_n}\geq (b-a)\inf_{x\in ]a,b[}{g^n(x)}[/tex].

so you must prove now that there exists an n such that

[tex](\sup f)^n<(b-a)\inf_{x\in ]a,b[}{g^n(x)}[/tex]
Hi Micromass. Thank you for your help with https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=451462
I now know how to solve the first question, but I still do not know know to link them with e[tex]^{mn+c}[/tex]. I tried the mean value theorem of integral without success. Could you please give me another hint? Thank you!
 
mathdunce said:
Hi Micromass. Thank you for your help with https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=451462
I now know how to solve the first question, but I still do not know know to link them with e[tex]^{mn+c}[/tex]. I tried the mean value theorem of integral without success. Could you please give me another hint? Thank you!

Oh, I think I know how to do the second one, too. Thanks. I have not written it down formally yet.