Amplitude of wave stretched as well as red shift?

In summary: The amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is just |E|. The issue is simply a matter of how the Lorentz transformation acts on E and B. So I say it should be just one factor of...In summary, the amplitude of the wave is not stretched as well.
SteveinLondon
The expansion of spacetime stretches and red shifts the wavelength of light. Is the amplitude of the wave stretched as well? So that very distant stars appear brighter, and therefor nearer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Electromagnetic waves are not transverse vibrations of a medium. There is no actual sideways motion. It's not like photographically enlarging an image of a water wave, where the amplitude grows by the same scale factor as the wavelength.

Although this question can be answered purely classically, I think it's easier to analyze if you think in terms of photons. The photon's frequency is reduced by a factor z, so E=hf is also reduced by that factor. The volume occupied by the wave is increased by a factor of z^3, so the energy density is reduced by a factor of z^4. Since the energy density is reduced by z^4, the electric and magnetic fields are also reduced, by factors of z^2.

[EDIT] Marcus pointed out that z should be replaced with 1+z everywhere above in order to be consistent with standard notation.

Last edited:
So that very distant stars appear brighter, and therefor nearer?

Are you suggesting a distant star is "brighter" than a nearer star?? Is that what you think you observe? no.

Also, cosmic redshift does not occur over relatively small galactic distances but rather much larger interstellar distances...in the smaller regions gravity keeps everything pretty much in the same relative position...and nearby galaxies can be moving towards one another as well as away from each other...this could result in some redshift or blue shift...

Last edited:
Crowell:

Electromagnetic waves are not transverse vibrations of a medium. There is no actual sideways motion.

No medium, I get that..what does the second part mean..."actual sideways motion" ??
The field oscillates that way, right...?

Wiki has a (correct) concise explanation and associated diagram here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_wave

Electromagnetic radiation (often abbreviated E-M radiation or EMR) is a form of energy exhibiting wave-like behavior as it travels through space. EMR has both electric and magnetic field components, which oscillate in phase perpendicular to each other and perpendicular to the direction of energy propagation.

bcrowell said:

Although this question can be answered purely classically, I think it's easier to analyze if you think in terms of photons. The photon's frequency is reduced by a factor z, so E=hf is also reduced by that factor. The volume occupied by the wave is increased by a factor of z^3, so the energy density is reduced by a factor of z^4. Since the energy density is reduced by z^4, the electric and magnetic fields are also reduced, by factors of z^2.

This is a clear complete response to Steve, so there's really nothing to add, but it illustrates an ambiguity in the English language---how we talk about fractional increase and increase "by a factor".

Or, in this case the reverse: "decrease by a factor".

The energy density of the photons is actually decreased by a factor of (1+z)4
in the sense that that is what you divide the old density by to get the new density.

Beginners can get confused by this ambiguity in English.

For example if the redshift of some light is z = 0.5, then the energy of each photon has been reduced by a factor of 1.5 (you divide by that to get the present energy).
And the volume has been increased by a factor of 1.53
so the number of photons per unit volume is reduced by 1.53 (they are spread out in a larger volume).

So the whole effect on the energy density is to reduce it by a factor of 1.54 = a bit over 5.
So you divide the old energy density by a factor of 5 or so.

This does not have any simple intuitive relation to 0.54 = 1/16 so a beginner might get confused by saying "reduced by a factor of z4 = 1/16

Last edited:
marcus said:

Hi, marcus -- Thanks for the correction. I just didn't realize I wasn't using the standard definition of z.

Naty1 said:
No medium, I get that..what does the second part mean..."actual sideways motion" ??
The field oscillates that way, right...?

Wiki has a (correct) concise explanation and associated diagram here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_wave

That type of diagram is misleading if you don't interpret it correctly. The transverse stuff is the field vectors, which don't have units of meters.

Sorry, but the original question was not about the energy density, was it. It says 'does the amplitude change'? The amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is just |E|. The issue is simply a matter of how the Lorentz transformation acts on E and B. So I say it should be just one factor of 1+z.

Bill_K said:
Sorry, but the original question was not about the energy density, was it. It says 'does the amplitude change'?
Please take another look at the final sentence of #2.

Bill_K said:
The amplitude of an electromagnetic wave is just |E|. The issue is simply a matter of how the Lorentz transformation acts on E and B. So I say it should be just one factor of 1+z.
It's not a Lorentz transformation. This isn't a special-relativistic kinematic Doppler shift. There are no global Lorentz transformations in GR.

marcus said:
so the number of photons per unit volume is reduced by 1.53 (they are spread out in a larger volume).

I'm sure you meant 1.52 here for the inverse square law, didn't you?

So the whole effect on the energy density is to reduce it by a factor of 1.54 = a bit over 5.

"I'm sure you meant 1.52 here for the inverse square law, didn't you?

That's for the unit area...

Marcus was addressing the unit volume...

V = 4/3(pi)r3

Naty1 said:
"I'm sure you meant 1.52 here for the inverse square law, didn't you?

That's for the unit area...

Marcus was addressing the unit volume...

V = 4/3(pi)r3

There's no sphere involved. For example, a photon from a laser would experience the same increase in its volume, by a factor of (1+z)^3. The increase in volume is because of cosmological expansion, not expansion of a spherical wavefront.

1. What is the amplitude of a stretched wave?

The amplitude of a stretched wave refers to the maximum displacement of the wave from its rest position. This can be measured by the height or depth of the wave's peaks or troughs. When a wave is stretched, its amplitude increases, meaning that the magnitude of its oscillations becomes greater.

2. How does the amplitude of a wave affect red shift?

The amplitude of a wave does not directly affect red shift. Red shift is a phenomenon that occurs when light or other electromagnetic radiation from a source is shifted towards the red end of the spectrum. This can happen due to several factors, such as the relative motion of the source and observer, or the expansion of the universe. The amplitude of a wave is not a factor in determining the amount of red shift.

3. Can the amplitude of a wave be measured in terms of red shift?

No, the amplitude of a wave is a measure of the physical properties of the wave itself, while red shift is a measure of the change in frequency or wavelength of the wave. These are two different characteristics of a wave and cannot be directly measured in terms of each other.

4. What is the relationship between the amplitude of a wave and its energy?

The amplitude of a wave is directly proportional to its energy. This means that as the amplitude increases, so does the energy of the wave. This relationship is described by the equation E = hc/λ, where E is the energy of the wave, h is Planck's constant, c is the speed of light, and λ is the wavelength of the wave.

5. How is the amplitude of a wave affected by red shift?

The amplitude of a wave is not affected by red shift. As mentioned earlier, red shift is a change in the frequency or wavelength of a wave, which does not directly impact the amplitude. However, red shift can affect the perceived amplitude of a wave, as the change in frequency may cause the wave to appear more or less intense to an observer.