Time Variance of y(t)=x(2t) System

In summary: So if x1(t) is an input at time t and x2(t) is an input at time 2*t-1, then the resulting output y1(t) will be different depending on when x1(t) and x2(t) are applied.
Jncik

Homework Statement

show whether the system

y(t) = x(2t) is time variant or not

Homework Equations

a system is time invariant if a time shift in the input signals results in an identical time shift in the output signal, that is if y[n] is the output of a discrete-time, time invariant system when x[n] is the input, then y[n-n0] is the output when x[n-n0] is applied

The Attempt at a Solution

first of all I have the answer on my book(oppenheim) but I can't understand what he does

what I tried to do is

suppose we apply a signal

x1(t) and we get an output of y1(t) = x1(2t)

now, suppose we apply a signal x2(t) = x1(t-t0)

we get an output of y2(t) = x2(t) = x1(2t - 2t0) = y1(t-t0)

hence it's time invariant

now, the book says it's time variant, and also it creates graphs to prove this point and I don't understand how he proves this..

what am I doing wrong?
thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
actually now that I'm looking at it better

when we have a system

y(t) = x(2t)

and we say let's input the x(t-2)

will the new system be

y(t) = x(2(t-2))

OR

y(t) = x(2t - 2)

?

for the second part, and I think oppenheims graphs have something to do with the second one

the result is correct

Jncik said:
x1(t) and we get an output of y1(t) = x1(2t)

now, suppose we apply a signal x2(t) = x1(t-t0)

we get an output of y2(t) = x2(t) = x1(2t - 2t0) = y1(t-t0)

hence it's time invariant
what am I doing wrong?

y2(t)=x2(2t)=x1(2t-t0)=y1(t-t0/2)
hence it is time variant :P

This is most simply seen if you realize that y in time t is equal to x in time 2*t, which is time origin (t=0) dependent definition.

1. What does the equation y(t)=x(2t) represent in terms of time variance?

The equation y(t)=x(2t) represents a time variance of compression by a factor of 2. This means that the output signal y(t) is a compressed version of the input signal x(t), with a time scale that is twice as fast.

2. How does the time variance affect the frequency of the signal?

The time variance of y(t)=x(2t) does not affect the frequency of the signal. The frequency of the input signal x(t) remains the same, but the time scale is compressed by a factor of 2.

3. Can this system be reversed to expand the time scale?

Yes, the system can be reversed to expand the time scale by using the equation x(t)=y(t/2). This will result in the output signal x(t) being an expanded version of the input signal y(t), with a time scale that is twice as slow.

4. How does the time variance affect the amplitude of the signal?

The time variance of y(t)=x(2t) does not affect the amplitude of the signal. The amplitude of the input signal x(t) remains the same, but the time scale is compressed by a factor of 2.

5. Is this system time-invariant?

No, this system is not time-invariant because the time variance changes the time scale of the signal. If the input signal is shifted in time, the output signal will also be shifted differently due to the compression or expansion of the time scale.