Time Invariance of System with x(t) and y(t) Equations

In summary, the question is asking to determine whether two given equations are time-invariant systems. Equation (c) involves a constant alpha and integration of the input function x(t), while equation (e) has a negative t within the input function. The question also asks about the effects of applying a time delay and how it relates to time invariance. The answer is that for both equations, if the input function is replaced with a delayed version, the output remains the same, indicating time invariance. The issue with two terms in equation (c) is resolved by replacing the input function with a delayed version. The question has been solved.
Drew Carter
Okay so the question looks like this
Determine whether the system with input x(t) and output y(t) defined by each of the following equations is time
invariant:
(c) y(t) =∫t+1t x(τ−α)dt where α is a constant;
(e) y(t) = x(−t);

There are more sub-questions but I was able to solve them. The reason I can't figure this out is the (d) has two items within the x function and the (e) question has a negative t within the x function. Help please. What do I do about the two items and negative t?

Engineering news on Phys.org
What happens when you apply a time delay t -> t+d?

Simon Bridge said:
What happens when you apply a time delay t -> t+d?
The way I was thought is that for y1(t) your replace x(t) with x1(t), for y2(t) you replace x(t) with x2(t) which then equals x1(t-t0). Then if y2(t)= y1(t-t0). It's time invariant. My issue is doing that with two terms or a negative t

How is that an issue - did you do it and see what happens?
Note: both expressions only have "t" so where do you get "two terms" from?

Simon Bridge said:
How is that an issue - did you do it and see what happens?
Note: both expressions only have "t" so where do you get "two terms" from?
The first question has T and alpha, that's what I meant by two terms. It's fine, I figured it out

1. What is time invariance in a system with x(t) and y(t) equations?

Time invariance refers to the property of a system where its input-output relationship remains unchanged when the input is shifted in time. In other words, the behavior of the system does not depend on the specific time at which the input is applied.

2. How can we determine if a system has time invariance?

To determine if a system has time invariance, we can use the time-shifting test. This involves applying a time-delayed input to the system and comparing the output to the original input. If the output is also delayed by the same amount, then the system is time invariant.

3. What is the significance of time invariance in a system?

Time invariance allows us to analyze and understand the behavior of a system more easily. It simplifies the mathematical modeling and analysis of systems, making it easier to predict the system's response to different inputs.

4. Can a system be both time invariant and time varying?

No, a system cannot be both time invariant and time varying. A system is considered time varying if its input-output relationship changes over time, while a time invariant system has a constant input-output relationship regardless of the time at which the input is applied.

5. How does time invariance affect the stability of a system?

Time invariance is an important factor in determining the stability of a system. A time invariant system is usually more stable, as its behavior remains consistent regardless of the time at which the input is applied. This allows for easier control and prediction of the system's response.