Is Burning Man 2011 becoming too mainstream for its own good?

• Thread starter rhody
  • Start date
In summary, the counterculture Burning Man festival has become a little too hot for some people. For the first time in 25 years, the festival that begins Monday in the northwest Nevada desert has sold out -- and organizers are urging fans who don't have tickets not to show up to the gate.
rhody
Gold Member
http://www.latimes.com/travel/deals...estival-20110824,0,5768413.story?track=icymi"
Has the counterculture Burning Man festival become a little too hot? For the first time in 25 years, the festival that begins Monday in the northwest Nevada desert has sold out -- and organizers are urging fans who don't have tickets not to show up to the gate.

Burning Man 2011 tickets, which ranged from $210 (early birds) to $360 each, sold out July 24.

"We’ve cut off ticket sales early in order to manage our population count over the course of the event, as stipulated by our BLM permit, the text of which indicates that we must stay below an average of 50,000 people per day over the course of the week," spokeswoman Annie Grace writes in an email.

Interesting, seems like a trend is growing, that is, against the mainstream... and sold out a month in advance to boot.
The event dedicated to "community, art, self-expression and self-reliance" runs through Sept. 5 in the harsh and remote area dubbed "Black Rock City" by festivalgoers. Tens of thousands attend and stay in tents, trailers, motorhomes and other shelters to be part of the under-the-radar art and performance "city."

The art theme for Burning Man 2011: Rites of Passage. How fitting

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I've always wanted to go to this, although it's quite a trek from Down Under. It sounds (and looks!) amazing. A few friends are planning on putting a crew together for next year, I'll be mid-semester but I haven't ruled it out completely! :P

Burning Man is so indie it has actually become mainstream.

Cool vid. :)

I like to hear stories from people attending such things for the first time. Preconceptions are interesting beasts.

I think it would be fun for the first day or two, but how much can one really do in the middle of the desert? I mean, you can't do LSD or psilocybin too often without building up a massive tolerance. However, if I ever get the chance, I'll definitely go.

khemist said:
Burning Man is so indie it has actually become mainstream.

Yeah man... they totally sold out.

Please, someone appreciate that.

Like most things, it's what you make it. It's no longer a new thing. It's matured. It's still an experience to behold!

TylerH said:
I think it would be fun for the first day or two, but how much can one really do in the middle of the desert? I mean, you can't do LSD or psilocybin too often without building up a massive tolerance. However, if I ever get the chance, I'll definitely go.

I have a plenty good time when I festival in the middle of nowhere, no halucinogens required, although I tend to err on the side of pretty damn un-sober for most of the time. There's something about a warm can of beer for breakfast that really opens your mind to the possibilities of the day.

IS THERE NOTHING I CAN'T DO?!

<3 haha

How do you like frisbee? Folks usually give a giggle when I bring it out, but with a good frisbee, and the right kind of day, that's a solid few hours of amazing fun. I recommend the Aerobie SuperDisc for a good compromise between flies like a bird and I can find it.

[PLAIN]http://aerobie.com/images/SD-Blue-ForWeb400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been to my share of incredible raves back in the 90's, and I'd even venture to say that some of my experiences on acid and ecstasy were by far the most exciting and fun experiences of my life. So yeah, I get it.

But seriously, even with a headful of acid or whatever, and especially SOBER, what adult in their right mind would actually find it enjoyable to spend the weekend in the middle of the freaking desert with a million mostly annoying people simply because you get to "express yourself" or whatever. Last I checked, I can express myself wherever the **** i want without having to drive 500 miles out in the middle of godforsaken Nevada and be around people who are willing to pay 200 dollars so they can walk around the desert on stilts with their tits out.

Posers eat that **** up and the founders get made in the ****ing shade.

What is Burning Man 2011?

Burning Man is an annual event held in the Black Rock Desert of Nevada. It is a week-long festival that celebrates art, self-expression, and community. It is known for its temporary city, interactive art installations, and its emphasis on radical self-reliance and participation.

When is Burning Man 2011?

Burning Man 2011 took place from August 29th to September 5th.

Did Burning Man 2011 sell out?

Yes, Burning Man 2011 sold out. All of the tickets were sold before the event began.

How many people attended Burning Man 2011?

The exact number of attendees for Burning Man 2011 is not publicly available. However, the event has a maximum capacity of 70,000 people and it is estimated that the attendance was close to this number.

Why did Burning Man 2011 sell out?

Burning Man has gained popularity over the years, with more people wanting to attend the event. Additionally, the organizers of Burning Man have implemented a tiered ticket system, with earlier tiers being cheaper, which has encouraged people to purchase their tickets early. These factors contributed to the event selling out in 2011.

Back