Further investigation of classic ladder problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing a ladder problem where the top of the ladder is x feet above the ground and the bottom of the ladder is being pushed towards a wall at a 60 degree angle. The question asks for the rate at which x changes with respect to θ, which is found to be 5ft/rad. The conversation then delves into how this problem could be represented on a graph, with the suggestion of using a trigonometric graph with the horizontal axis being the angles and the vertical axis being the height. The conversation concludes with the clarification that the focus is not on solving the problem, but rather understanding how it would look when graphed.
LearninDaMath

Homework Statement

I already know the answer, and know "how" to get the answer to this problem:

A 10 foot ft ladder leans against a wall at an angle θ with the horizontal [ground], as shown in the accompanying figure (the figure is of a ladder leaning against a wall). The top of the ladder is x feet above the ground. If the bottom of the ladder is pushed toward the wall, find the rate at which x changes with respect to θ when θ = 60 degrees. Express the answer in units of feet/degree.

My question is:

I understand that a rate is a derivative. And derivatives are expressed as tangent lines to a function on a graph. So I am wondering how this ladder problem would be expressed on a graph. Could it be expressed on the cartesian coordinate system? What would it look like? What would the x coordinates and y coordinates be?

Physics news on Phys.org
LearninDaMath said:

Homework Statement

I already know the answer, and know "how" to get the answer to this problem:

A 10 foot ft ladder leans against a wall at an angle θ with the horizontal [ground], as shown in the accompanying figure (the figure is of a ladder leaning against a wall). The top of the ladder is x feet above the ground. If the bottom of the ladder is pushed toward the wall, find the rate at which x changes with respect to θ when θ = 60 degrees. Express the answer in units of feet/degree.

My question is:

I understand that a rate is a derivative. And derivatives are expressed as tangent lines to a function on a graph. So I am wondering how this ladder problem would be expressed on a graph. Could it be expressed on the cartesian coordinate system? What would it look like? What would the x coordinates and y coordinates be?

Just figure out what x is as a function of θ.

RGV

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

So for example, if I had a position vs time graph, that means the y-axis would be a position axis and the x-axis would be a time axis.

So are you saying that in this case, the y-axis should be an "angle" axis and the x-axis should be a position axis? So that I have an "angle vs position" graph?

Ray Vickson said:

RGV

I still don't know what you mean. This is a function in terms of θ. Sinθ=x/10, so maybe i don't understand the terminology. What do you mean find out what x is as a function of θ? Are you saying find dx/dθ? I already found that to be 5ft/rad. But in terminology, I would have thought it would be said like this: "find derivative of x in terms of θ" ...so is that the same thing as saying: "find x as a function of θ"?

So you're saying I could represent it on trig graph like this?:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sine.svg

Where the horizontal axis would be the angles and the vertical axis would be the height? So then the derivative of sin(60) would be cos60, or 1/2? So the slope or rate is 5?

LearninDaMath said:
I still don't know what you mean. This is a function in terms of θ. Sinθ=x/10, so maybe i don't understand the terminology. What do you mean find out what x is as a function of θ? Are you saying find dx/dθ? I already found that to be 5ft/rad. But in terminology, I would have thought it would be said like this: "find derivative of x in terms of θ" ...so is that the same thing as saying: "find x as a function of θ"?

For every θ between 1 and π/2 you can figure out what x must be to match that θ. So, YES, you get a function x = f(θ), and its derivative df/dθ give you exactly what the question asks for, if you go back and read it again.

RGV

Right, but I already got the answer that the question asks for...I know that its 5ft/rad. I'm not confused about how to solve this question for the correct answer.

My question is, how is that represented on a coordinate system? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Which coordinate system should I use? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Where are you getting n/2 from? (that is not part of any assigned question)

Its just wondering how a scenario of a ladder moving would look if graphed. I can't picture it.

Am I on the right track with the sin graph?

1. What is the classic ladder problem?

The classic ladder problem is a mathematical puzzle that involves finding the minimum number of moves required to move a ladder from one corner of a room to the opposite corner, while following certain rules.

2. What are the rules of the classic ladder problem?

The rules of the classic ladder problem vary depending on the specific version being solved, but generally involve only being able to move the ladder horizontally or vertically and not being able to pass through walls or obstacles.

3. What makes the classic ladder problem challenging?

The classic ladder problem is challenging because it requires critical thinking and problem-solving skills to determine the most efficient way to move the ladder while following the given rules. It also involves mathematical concepts such as geometry and spatial reasoning.

4. Are there any real-life applications for the classic ladder problem?

Yes, the classic ladder problem has real-life applications in fields such as logistics, robotics, and transportation planning. It can also be used to model and solve various problems in computer science and game theory.

5. What are some techniques for solving the classic ladder problem?

Some techniques for solving the classic ladder problem include breaking down the problem into smaller parts, using trial and error, visualizing the problem, and using mathematical concepts such as the Pythagorean theorem and the shortest path algorithm.