Ladder problem (statics) with 2 sources of friction

In summary, we are trying to find the maximum value of angle θ that a uniform ladder can make with a wall without sliding. The coefficients of static friction between the floor and the ladder and between the wall and the ladder are equal to each other (μ). Using the equations for friction, torque, and gravity, we can solve for θ and simplify the answer to θ=arctan(μ/(1-(1+μ2)/2)). This angle will exist for values of μ greater than 1, but it will be extremely small.
natasha13100

Homework Statement

A uniform ladder of mass m and length L rests against the wall as shown. The coefficients of static friction between the floor and the ladder and between the wall and the ladder are equal to each other (μ). What is the maximum value of angle θ that the ladder can make with the wall without sliding? (Use m for m, L for L, mu for μ, and arcsin, arccos, and arctan for the inverse trig functions.)

Homework Equations

f(friction)≤μN(normal force)
t(torque)=r(moment arm)Fsinθ
G=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

FBD is attached

because the ladder is not moving
t=-mgLsinθ/2+NfLsinθ-μNfLcosθ=0
Fx=Nw-ff=0
Fy=Nf+fw-mg=0

Solve t for Nf
NfLsinθ-μNfLcosθ=mgLsinθ/2
Nftanθ-μNf=mgtanθ/2
Nf=mgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))

When θ is at its maximum without the ladder slipping, f=μN.
ff=μmgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))
Solve Fxfor Nw
Nw=μmgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))
Also fw2mgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))

Solve Fy for θ.
mgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))+μ2mgtanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))=mg
tanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))+μ2tanθ/(2(tanθ-μ))=1
tanθ=2(tanθ-μ)/(1+μ2)
(tanθ-μ)/tanθ=(1+μ2)/2
1-μ/tanθ=(1+μ2)/2
μ/tanθ=1-(1+μ2)/2
tanθ=μ/(1-(1+μ2)/2)
θ=arctan(μ/(1-(1+μ2)/2))

Attachments

• ladder problem.png
    ladder problem.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 599
  • ladder problem fbd.png
    ladder problem fbd.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 805
Physics news on Phys.org
Your work looks good to me. You can simplify your answer a bit.

[Would there be a solution if ##\mu > 1##? For most substances ##\mu < 1##, but there exist substances for which ##\mu > 1##.]

Last edited:
Oh yes it is. I finally figured out where my mistake was. I've been trying to simplify the answer and it would come out wrong. I would get an answer like 2/(1+μ). A simple algebra mistake. Thanks. :) By the way, if I am thinking correctly, the angle would exist but it would be extremely small.

1. What is the ladder problem in statics?

The ladder problem in statics is a common physics problem that involves a ladder leaning against a wall. The goal is to determine the forces acting on the ladder and the equilibrium conditions that must be met for the ladder to remain stationary.

2. What are the two sources of friction in the ladder problem?

The two sources of friction in the ladder problem are static friction and kinetic friction. Static friction is the force that prevents the ladder from slipping or sliding, while kinetic friction is the force that acts against the motion of the ladder if it does start to slide.

3. How do you calculate the forces on the ladder in the ladder problem?

To calculate the forces on the ladder, you need to draw a free-body diagram and consider all the forces acting on the ladder, such as the weight of the ladder, the normal force from the wall, and the friction forces. Then, use the equations of equilibrium to determine the unknown forces.

4. What are the equilibrium conditions that must be met for the ladder to remain stationary?

The equilibrium conditions that must be met for the ladder to remain stationary are that the forces in the horizontal direction must be balanced, and the forces in the vertical direction must also be balanced. Additionally, the sum of the moments about any point must be equal to zero.

5. How does the coefficient of friction affect the stability of the ladder?

The coefficient of friction determines how strong the friction force is and can affect the stability of the ladder. A higher coefficient of friction means a stronger friction force, which can help keep the ladder from slipping or sliding. However, too much friction can also make it difficult to move the ladder.