Kelvin water dropper generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the potential use of an idea for producing electricity on a large scale, which may not be feasible due to low efficiency and flow rates. It also mentions the difference between hydroelectric generators and Kelvin Water-drop generators, with the latter not being suitable for generating significant amounts of electrical power.
Rooted
I have only recently found out about this idea (many thanks m.e.t.a.) and I am curious about it. Could it be used to produce electricity on a mass scale, and if not, why not? Is the efficiency of conversion from gravitational potential energy into electric potential energy less that the conversion to kinetic energy in a hydroelectric turbine, for example? Or is it perhaps related to the discrete rather than continuous nature of the high potential difference?

Thanks for your help,

Rooted

Physics news on Phys.org
I would expect that both the efficiency and the maximal flow rate (a small stream per device) are too small to be useful.
You need several cubic meters per second to get any useful amount of power (with 100m height difference, 1m^3/s just corresponds to 100kW input power)

Wikipedia said:
Most of the energy is wasted as heat when the water drops land in the buckets.

Thanks mfb. The energy loss from impact is something I hadn't taken on board.

Rooted said:
Thanks mfb. The energy loss from impact is something I hadn't taken on board.

I don't think there is a minimum to this loss, since the electric field between the ring and the bucket will counteract gravity, so the drops could theoretically hit the water with zero speed.

Please pay attention to two very different kinds of apparatus: Hydroelectric power generators and Kelvin Water-drop generators.

Here are a few excerpts from the Wikipedia page on “hydroelectric generator”:

“Hydroelectric generators are found world-wide. In China the Three Gorges Dam generates 20,300 Megawatts and in the USA the Grand Coulee Dam generates 6,809 Megawatts.

Pico hydro is a term used for hydroelectric power generation of under 5 KW. It is useful in small, remote communities that require only a small amount of electricity. For example, to power one or two fluorescent light bulbs and a TV or radio for a few homes.[13]

Even smaller turbines of 200-300W may power a single home in a developing country with a drop of only 1 m (3 ft). Pico-hydro setups typically are run-of-the-river, meaning that dams are not used, but rather pipes divert some of the flow, drop this down a gradient, and through the turbine before returning it to the stream.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydroelectricity

The purpose of the water-dropper is not to generate electric power. A Kelvin Water-drop generator generates a high voltage potential between its two electrodes. They may be buckets or spheres, but there is no significant amount of electrical power stored on the electrodes. A fully charged sphere, for example, may cause a few micro-amperes to flow during a short-circuit arc for a few microseconds. This is not a significant amount of power and would not power a load.

Cheers,
Bobbywhy

Thanks for your help. I need to think about this a bit more!

Cheers, Rooted

1. What is a Kelvin water dropper generator?

A Kelvin water dropper generator is an electrostatic generator that uses the principles of triboelectricity and electrostatic induction to create a continuous flow of electricity.

2. How does a Kelvin water dropper generator work?

The Kelvin water dropper generator consists of two vertical tubes filled with water that are connected by a horizontal tube. As water flows from the top tube to the bottom, it creates a charge separation due to the triboelectric effect. This charge separation then induces a continuous flow of electricity through the horizontal tube.

3. What is the purpose of a Kelvin water dropper generator?

The Kelvin water dropper generator is used to demonstrate the principles of electrostatics and to generate a continuous flow of electricity for small electronic devices.

4. Can a Kelvin water dropper generator produce a significant amount of electricity?

No, a Kelvin water dropper generator is not a practical source of electricity as it can only produce a small amount of electricity. It is primarily used for educational and demonstration purposes.

5. What are the potential applications of a Kelvin water dropper generator?

A Kelvin water dropper generator can be used in laboratories to study electrostatics and can also be used as a power source for small electronic devices such as LED lights or small motors.