What am I doing wrong when evaluating this limit?

• Thread starter tahayassen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.In summary, the limit of the given expression as x approaches negative infinity is equal to 0. This is because when x is multiplied by the limiting expression of -√(1+x^-1+x^-2)+1, it simplifies to -1/2*1/x, which approaches 0 as x approaches negative infinity. However, it is important to note that the concept of multiplying infinity by 0 is not valid, as infinity is not a number and the result is an indeterminate form.
tahayassen
[tex]\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } (\sqrt { { x }^{ 2 }+x+1 } +x)\\ =\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } (|x|\sqrt { 1+{ x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 } } +x)\\ Since\quad x\rightarrow -\infty \\ =\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } (-x\sqrt { 1+{ x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 } } +x)\\ =\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } x(-\sqrt { 1+{ x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 } } +1)\\ =\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } x\quad *\underset { x\rightarrow -\infty }{ lim } (-\sqrt { 1+{ x }^{ -1 }+{ x }^{ -2 } } +1)\\ =\quad -\infty *0\\ =\quad 0[/tex]

Before you say that you can't multiply infinity by 0, why not? If we thinking infinity as a very large number, it doesn't matter how large it is, if it gets multiplied by 0, it will equal 0, right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your limiting operation is perfectly OKAY, but your conclusion is still wrong.
Basically, because "infinity" is not a number, and therefore cannot be multiplied reliable with any number.
The critical issue is what limit the FINITE products tend to.
And THAT depends on the RATES by which one of the factors tend to zero, the other to negative infinity.
The result should be -1/2

tahayassen said:
Before you say that you can't multiply infinity by 0, why not? If we thinking infinity as a very large number, it doesn't matter how large it is, if it gets multiplied by 0, it will equal 0, right?

No. That's wrong. ##0\cdot\infty## is an indeterminate form just like ##\frac 0 0## is. Look at$$
\lim_{x\rightarrow 0} x\cdot \frac 1 x$$ That is a ##0\cdot\infty## form and its limit is 1. You can make it be anything by putting a C in there.

Ah, makes sense now. Thank you.

In effect, your ugly factor will look more and more like -1/2*1/x, as x tends to negative infinity.
Thus, multiplying THIS with "x" gives you the correct limiting expression.

arildno said:
In effect, your ugly factor will look more and more like -1/2*1/x, as x tends to negative infinity.
Thus, multiplying THIS with "x" gives you the correct limiting expression.

Where did you get -1/2*1/x?

Multiply the ugly factor with its own conjugate.
And..simplify!
:smile:

arildno said:
Multiply the ugly factor with its own conjugate.
And..simplify!
:smile:
I think you mean, multiply the "ugly factor" by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself.

Mark44 said:
I think you mean, multiply the "ugly factor" by 1 in the form of the conjugate over itself.

Reluctantly, and with smoke pouring out of my nostrils, I have to agree..

Mark44 said:
I knew what you meant...

That doesn't lead to smoke reduction, since it is the effect of self loathing :cry:..

FAQ: What am I doing wrong when evaluating this limit?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit in mathematics refers to the value that a function or sequence approaches as the input or index approaches a certain value. It represents the behavior of a function or sequence near a specific point.

2. How do I know if a limit exists?

A limit exists if the function or sequence approaches the same value regardless of the direction from which the input or index approaches the specific value. This value is known as the limit value.

3. What are some common mistakes when evaluating a limit?

One of the most common mistakes is not considering the possibility of approaching the limit from both directions. Another mistake is not simplifying the expression before evaluating the limit, which can lead to incorrect answers.

4. How do I evaluate a limit algebraically?

To evaluate a limit algebraically, you can plug in the limit value into the function or sequence and simplify the expression. You can also use algebraic techniques, such as factoring, to simplify the expression before plugging in the limit value.

5. Are there any tips for evaluating limits?

One tip is to always check if the function or sequence is continuous at the limit value. If it is, then the limit value is the same as the function or sequence value at that point. Another tip is to use substitution to simplify the expression before evaluating the limit.